free hit
counters
Should I be able to engage gears with both rear wheels off the ground - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mike6

Should I be able to engage gears with both rear wheels off the ground

Possibly the silly question of the day but I have been checking timing on the car and thought the easiest way to rotate engine would be to jack up rear of car with both wheels off the ground and then turn by hand. However when I then put in gear the wheels still turn relatively freely and engine doesnt rotate. When I drop car back to ground engine will rotate if I then push car in gear.

Is the normal?. The reason for asking is problems with car under load and I just wondered if it could be gearbox related rather than ignition/fuel.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Open diff, you'll be able to spin a wheel in gear with both in the air.

Thanks Bibs and what a fast response. At least I know problems are not gearbox related. 

That is expected behaviour as Bibs said. However if it was possible for you to turn both wheels at the same time while it is jacked up the engine would turn over, which is what you see when the car is on the ground. It's just the way open diffs work.

cheers

-Chris

You could possibly do what you are trying but you would need to anchor one wheel from turning and then turn the other one.

As already stated, normal behaviour.

Probably not your problem but if both back wheels are off the ground and you turn one with the intention of rotating the engine - the other wheel will spin unless you restrain it and the engine will not rotate.

Just a thought?!

Gibbie