free hit
counters
Potentially after MY12 IPS - couple of queries - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DJW

Potentially after MY12 IPS - couple of queries

Looking for a business daily driver covering 15k miles a year. Even though I don't like IPS for hooning I can see its merits for driving in traffic.

So couple of questions for those who have owned one

1) real mpg for S IPS ? I've seen the long term report that states sub 20 mpg, but then others state 25mpg on a run. Appreciate its all down to how you drive, but if you imagine being in traffic on a motorway at say 80, what could I expect Mpg to be ?

2) expected price for MY12 NA IPS circa 10k miles ? If mpg of 1) is too low I would consider a NA IPS. What kind of figure £ wise would I be looking at for a 2012 car with 2012MY spec ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Edited by DJW

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The ips should be better than a manual s due to the different ratios but only had mine an hour so can't say! My old manual s gave 15 round town up to 24-27 motorway depending how you Drive.

Gav

• Like 1

Thanks Bibs. I did try using search box at the top but it came back with 0 results for mpg.

Embarrassingly enough I even responsed in the original thread above ...doh ;)

I have a MY 12 IPS N/A. depending on driving urban or a run - just di a Kent to Devon. and not pushing the car I get early 20's uban and on the recent run I got jusy over 30mpg,

• Like 1

Thanks.

Any thoughts on SH values for NA IPS models, as going to have move pretty quick on a daily driver if a new job comes off next week.

With nothing out there at the mo, I'm forced to look at a year old Cayman and F type Jag tomorrow. I expect these will be more sensible for day to day use, but might lack the special wow factor for weekend use.

With nothing out there at the mo, I'm forced to look at a year old Cayman and F type Jag tomorrow. I expect these will be more sensible for day to day use, but might lack the special wow factor for weekend use.

Woah there!

Have you driven the Evora yet?  

I'm running the Evora as a daily driver and find it very easy to live with - similar mileage.  Try the Evora if you haven't yet, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I can get circa 27mpg in a Manual S on long motorway runs if I'm sensible - so if you're going NA with these kind of miles you should be happily over 30.

Let us know how you get on...

Checkout my signature in posts ;)

Yep used the Evroa S as a daily driver for 9 months. However the new job will entail more miles and more driving near London, so auto is a must.

So went to Porsche dealer first. Took out a Boxster S demo with PDK , PASM and sports exhaust. Ride was excellent with PASM, PDK is great and sound from exhaust with it switched open was cool. Next took out a manual Caymans S demo. Manual seems antiquated after PDK; it handled better than Boxster ; didn't sound as good inside cabin though vs roof dropped of Boxster. So Boxster won but needs PASM and switchable sport exhaust.

Next went to Jag dealer. Took out V6S coupe, glass roof, sports exhaust. Has to be one of the nicest places to sit. Ride was firmer than Porsche. Exhaust a bit more manufactured sound but still great. Next took out V8S convertible. Unfortunately didn't have switchable sports exhaust so sounded very mute under 4k revs. With damp roads at 60mph trying to hit 4k revs just span the wheels up, but did sound good. Overall preferred coupe and it definitely needs switchable sports exhaust.

Both dealers knew I was after a second hand car. I was open to either the jag coupe or Boxster S , but it had to have the bits mentioned above. Unfortunately the Jag coupe is still too new to have decent prices on second hand cars. The only Boxster S cars with bits I mentioned also had £10k + of associated options that I was not interested in. Ideally I would have got a brand new Boxster GTS , but 9 month wait list :(.

Now if only Lotus did a convertible Evora with dual clutch auto <sigh>.

oops - off to hang my head in shame...  :whistle:

Interesting feedback on the Jag and Porker.  Only been a passenger in the F-Type (V6 S) but was a very nice place to be and the car seemed to hustle along quite nicely.  It did feel "big" though, and a lot of car to take down a B-Road *cough* progressively.

Driven both a Boxter S and Cayman S (manuals) and totally agree with your thoughts.  I did find them, and this may sound weird, almost too accomplished.  A bit anodyne if you like. Not tried PDK, but those I know who have it, swear by it.

I drive in to Barking regularly and don't find the manual too much of a chore - but if you're actually spending a lot of time in and around the M25 then an auto would make a lot of sense.

Right, note to self - read sigs in future...

I test drove a PDK Cayman GTS last week.  Steering not as good as the Evora but the pdk box is intoxicating, it makes the car quicker than the Evora just because of the speed you can go through the gears.

Have I ordered one?

Nope.  Evora overall is more special, plus get a decent spec on the GTS and you are almost at Evora 400 money

After spending 45 mins stuck in traffic queue on M25 yesterday on way back from Nurburgring, I did wonder whether I should just get a diesel Merc. Definitely need an auto for work.

Why do people keep harping on about how dual clutch is better than a torque convertor?

Jag use a torque convertor in the F Type and having driven both gearboxes there really isn't much in it - both have pros and cons.

Evora ride / handling is in a different ball park to Porsche / Jaguar

I test drove a PDK Cayman GTS last week.  Steering not as good as the Evora but the pdk box is intoxicating, it makes the car quicker than the Evora just because of the speed you can go through the gears.

Does make me wonder about the Auto Evora 400. Everyone has a right to an opinion, but I don't subscribe to the notion that sports cars must have a manual gearbox, especially if you use it every day in the real world. There is no doubt a manual can be a right royal pain in the arse sometimes. If there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two I would be leaning towards the auto.

• Like 1

Would agree ride and handling of Evora is better than Jag, but for me the Porsche with PASM is better than the Lotus. Lotus wins in looks and sense of occasion, mind you.

Edited by DJW

The PDK is much better than the Jag auto or the IPS, that's why people keep banging on about it.  The gear change is instantaneous, the others all feature a delay between pulling the paddle and the gears changing.

Being a bit of a purist, I never thought I would say this, but PDK is intoxicating for hard driving on B roads in a way that the Jag F type and IPS (I have driven both) just cannot match.

Would agree ride and handling of Evora is better than Jag, but for me the Porsche with PASM is better than the Lotus. Lotus wins in looks and sense of occasion, mind you.

In the Cayman I can feel the pdk change gear from 1st to 2nd, but after that the only giveaway is hearing the revs drop.

I'm sure the PASM has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion, as I cluelessly bundle into a bend to fast and am surprised that I can just steer out.

The wife's Evora ride is superior IMO, it 'feels' better, it 'feels' more planted, but I don't trust it in extreme as much as the Cayman.

Saying that - the tyre condition and pressures are probably more important than the differences between the cars!

p.s. You don't get a second look in the Cayman - you get plenty in the Evora!

• Like 1