free hit
counters
Need more data from my CupR ...... - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jack

Need more data from my CupR ......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very cool. I really think Lotus should fit those dashes and data loggers for the cup cars. I'm just fitting an aim mxl2 to my caterham as it happens and would love one in the exige. That one looks like the new smaller MXS dash? I don't think the bigger MXG would fit the exige pod.

Very cool. I really think Lotus should fit those dashes and data loggers for the cup cars. I'm just fitting an aim mxl2 to my caterham as it happens and would love one in the exige. That one looks like the new smaller MXS dash? I don't think the bigger MXG would fit the exige pod.

As usual, you are correct Jonny. ;)  The MXG is huge -- it can work if you lose the binnacle shrouds.  The MXS is about the same size as the MXL data loggers of old.  I've had the MXL in my 2-11 for several years and have become accustomed to logging data and, most importantly, being  able to see vital engine parameters in real time.  Looking forward to logging oil pressure and temp, gear box temp, post super-charger IATs, fuel pressure, A-F ratios in additional to the items that you can pull directly off the ECU CAN stream.

Having alarms that you can preset at specific meaningful thresholds so you can react in an appropriate time frame to make a difference is crucial to me.  Having a factory idiot light for oil pressure that comes on at 7 PSI, or a coolant light that illuminates at 109 C, seems to offer inadequate warning.  Besides, with the stock dash I even have difficulty reading my water temps at a glance when on track -- I really have to strain to make out the numbers -- guess my "old" eyes are at fault. :)

Gratuitous 2-11 dash pic .....

post-7947-0-69580600-1431358229.jpg

I've bought the very same dash for my Exige. Seeing as your ahead of me perhaps you wouldn't mind pointing out anything encountered so far regarding the install. Anything worth noting at all really that might make things easier would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Just to add and to be clear... It's the MXS I've bought not the MXL

Balls.... Also worth mentioning that I've got the S2 Exige. Just realised you have the V6! Not sure if the binnicle is completely different?

Sorry Mike, I'm having a shop do the install, so no tips to offer.

Sorry Mike, I'm having a shop do the install, so no tips to offer.

I was about to ask what shop is doing the work and then realised your based across the pond! Not to worry Jack... Just keep the pics coming to inspire me ;)

I was about to ask what shop is doing the work and then realised your based across the pond! Not to worry Jack... Just keep the pics coming to inspire me ;)

I'm going to visit the car soon and will see what I can find out.  Doing quite a few mods/upgrades ..... including getting rid of my locking gas cap.  Why on earth would a "race/track-only" car come with a locking gas cap?  :huh:

post-7947-0-25269400-1431539529.jpeg

I'm going to visit the car soon and will see what I can find out.  Doing quite a few mods/upgrades ..... including getting rid of my locking gas cap.  Why on earth would a "race/track-only" car come with a locking gas cap?  :huh:

Thanks Jack I'd really appreciate that.

If memory serves its law for a road legal car to have a locking fuel cap in UK but yours is the Cup R right so it's not road legal in any case is it?

If memory serves its law for a road legal car to have a locking fuel cap in UK but yours is the Cup R right so it's not road legal in any case is it?

Correct.  

In fact, Lotus doesn't import any road legal V6 Exiges to the Colonies -- only ones we get are designated as "off road-competition only".  ;)

Locking caps are great at preventing trailer park types from pinching your fuel and Porsche and Corvette owners from sabotage!

;)

Locking caps are great at preventing trailer park types from pinching your fuel and Porsche and Corvette owners from sabotage!

;)

Probably right on that score, but locking gas caps really slow down your re-fueling pit stops during those endurance races.  LOL :D

Along with more data, I guess I should add "more noise"   ;) and get rid of that silly FIA mandated catalytic converter inside the CupR standard muffler saving some weight and heat build-up to boot.   :D

Obligatory test fitting photo ......

post-7947-0-59083800-1432139705.jpg

Welded up and second O2 bunged affixed for A/F data .... now off to get  ceramic "coated".   :)

post-7947-0-99729300-1432143346.jpg

Nice!

Out of interest - does the CupR have the traction control modes?  Reason I ask is that I was wondering whether you could display that data (which mode you're in) onto one of these dashes?

I'd like to put one of these in my Exige S, and that's the only thing I can think of which I'd need from the existing dash that this would provide.

Nice!

Out of interest - does the CupR have the traction control modes?  Reason I ask is that I was wondering whether you could display that data (which mode you're in) onto one of these dashes?

I'd like to put one of these in my Exige S, and that's the only thing I can think of which I'd need from the existing dash that this would provide.

I don't have traction control modes (DPM) on my CupR, as it has the sequential tranny with LSD.

Don't think there is a way to display the TC modes on the aftermarket dash.

• Like 1

The mods continue -- new rear diffuser to go with new exhaust .... test fitting before powder coating.   :)

post-7947-0-71830300-1432750265.jpg

post-7947-0-67522600-1432750304.jpg

post-7947-0-34462400-1432750313.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if you can program a couple of lights to indicate whether they Air Con and Air Circulation are on/off, worth the cost just for that!

I wonder if you can program a couple of lights to indicate whether they Air Con and Air Circulation are on/off, worth the cost just for that!

No clue?  

I know that the warning lights are much more "configurable" on the new MXS.  Same light has multiple colors and can be programmed to do more than one function.

Getting close to the end for stage 1 of modifications. 

Hope to have shed about 70 pounds in weight by:

1) replacing stock roof with lightweight  version -- 20 pounds

2) replacing stock muffler -- 30 pounds, and

3) removing side windows-- 20 pounds.

I will know exact weight reduction after I put the car on scales.

Obligatory photos :D  --- added bung to oil pan for oil temp data, finished diffuser fitment (now off for powder coating), CF roof .......

post-7947-0-54170300-1433085779.jpg

post-7947-0-62319400-1433085803.jpg

post-7947-0-80673200-1433085822.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

Who supplied your rear defuser 

Paul

Great work Jack. Some nice mods there. Carbon roof looks great but how does it fit?

Hi Jack,

Who supplied your rear defuser 

Paul

Difflow .......http://www.difflow.com/evora.html

My shop made a CAD drawing modifying the Evora one, so it will fit the V6 Exige with no cutting or drilling, I believe.  This diffuser option should be available on their website soon.  Mine is the prototype.

Great work Jack. Some nice mods there. Carbon roof looks great but how does it fit?

Thanks, Jonny.

The CF roof fits fine but it's really not well suited for a road car.  There would be significant sealing gaps with the side windows with the attendant wind noise and moisture entry under wet conditions. ;)

Not surprised to hear that Jack, I really like the idea of a carbon roof on an Exige but I'm sure the reality has its drawbacks for road use.

It would be really interesting to chart your progress with upgrading the car in terms of laptime. Do you have personal best at your favourite track to date? Also I wonder how much time slicks are worth on an Exige? It used to be a huge margin but I believe the Trofeo spec road tyres are far closer than road tyres ever used to be. Lastly (for now ;)) I'd be interested to know how it compares with your 211 in terms of laptimes?