free hit
counters
Problems! - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ColinH

Problems!

One of the multitude of squeaks and rattles that I've grown accustomed to has now become much louder and a lot more irritating. It's very difficult to pinpoint as it only happens when the car's moving.

It's coming from somewhere behind the passenger seat headrest. I thought it was the seat belt tensioner at first but I've driven along holding that and the noise was still there. My best guess now is that it's part of the hard top moving around against the bodywork. Has anyone else had a problem with this? It's a very loud, high-pitched plastic squeak.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think I have the exact same squeak!

Mine first appeared after taking the hard top off!! I think it's coming from the rear roll hoop, where the plastic infill is rubbing against the the body colour part. I tried spraying some silicone spray in there and it stopped for a couple of miles, then started again. It's particularly irritating :realmad:

• Like 1

Yes, it is.

It seems to be worse with a passenger (it was my girlfriend who pointed out last night how much louder it was than the last time she was in the car a couple of weeks ago). Maybe the weight of someone in the seat causes whatever is squeaking to press against the bodywork more?

Edited by BillTheButcher

definitely sounds like the roof to me, this one is more a "characteristic" of the car than a problem really. Best thing i've found for it is to remove the roof, clean the seals them put a thin smear of vaseline on them, doesnt sound very good but once done you'll get a few months of squeak free (well roof squeaks anyway) motoring ;)

• Like 1

Regarding  the rubber roof seals I use Polypipe silicone lubricant grease, code number SG100. It comes in a 100gram tub.

It is made for lubricating pipe spigots and rubber ring seals and does not damage the rubbers. I am sure vaseline is petroleum based and over time might damage the rubber.

dare i say it but its starting to sound as if quality control post DB era has somewhat slipped? 

mines a 2013 V6, not a single QT issue.  :huh:

I think I have the exact same squeak!

Mine first appeared after taking the hard top off!! I think it's coming from the rear roll hoop, where the plastic infill is rubbing against the the body colour part. I tried spraying some silicone spray in there and it stopped for a couple of miles, then started again. It's particularly irritating :realmad:

Edited by diego

Yes, it is.

It seems to be worse with a passenger (it was my girlfriend who pointed out last night how much louder it was than the last time she was in the car a couple of weeks ago). Maybe the weight of someone in the seat causes whatever is squeaking to press against the bodywork more?

A plastic rattle from the roof is a well known issue with the Exige. It's the first thing the technicians try when a customer mentions a rattle. Mine developed this just before its first service and has been fixed. My advice is to get the dealer to fix it.

If the rattle is still there, it might be something else. I had a real problem with a dreadful rattle which I thought was coming from the cabin, but it was in fact coming from the underside of the car. That too was fixed, but it was intermittent so it took a while for the dealer to hear it - if they can't hear it they can't fix it! The attached video shows you what it sounded like.

In my opinion annoying rattles really spoil the enjoyment of a car and the dealer should fix them. I've found Lotus Silverstone to be fantastic, real Lotus fans but definitely on the side of the customer. Hope your dealer is too...

• Like 1

I can't see an attached video.  :help:

Silverstone/Bell & Colvill were equidistant from me but now Hofmann's has become an approved Lotus dealer I'll be using them.

No video? Just sound?

One of the multitude of squeaks and rattles that I've grown accustomed to has now become much louder and a lot more irritating. It's very difficult to pinpoint as it only happens when the car's moving.

It's coming from somewhere behind the passenger seat headrest. I thought it was the seat belt tensioner at first but I've driven along holding that and the noise was still there. My best guess now is that it's part of the hard top moving around against the bodywork. Has anyone else had a problem with this? It's a very loud, high-pitched plastic squeak.

This will be the rear part of the under tray rubbing against where it meets with the tub. I had the same issue with mine and our guys (Oakmere/Christopher Neal) fixed it no problem - quiet as a church mouse now !

Si

Edited by SimonOakmere
  • Like 1

No video? Just sound?

The iPad was recording on the rear shelf!

This will be the rear part of the under tray rubbing against where it meets with the tub. I had the same issue with mine and our guys (Oakmere/Christopher Neal) fixed it no problem - quiet as a church mouse now !

Si

Thanks Si. :)

The sound must be travelling up the tub; it sounds like it's coming from directly behind the passenger headrest.

The iPad was recording on the rear shelf!

That's the noise but mine has added squeaking.

Exactly how mine sounded - I was convinced it was either the seat or the interior panel behind the seats - trust me, take the car to your local dealer (or bring to us) and they should fit some extra anti rattle rubber foam tape - job done !

Si

• Like 1

Thank you Si. :)

It would be a 350-mile round trip to bring it to you. Hopefully Hofmann's will be able to sort it now that you've identified what the problem is.  :thumbup:

I had a noise from the same area, though mine was 100% the roof seal, as I could get it to go away when applying pressure with my hand to the headliner in this rear corner. B&C sorted.

Edited by Arun_D
  • Like 1

The sound must be travelling up the tub; it sounds like it's coming from directly behind the passenger headrest.

Sounds like the under tray and roof at the same time. Hope you get it sorted soon!

• Like 1

Driving mine into work this morning, my really annoying squeak seems to have disappeared. I also had a nasty dashboard rattle in the early days which disapeared on it's own.

My car appears to be self healing :B)

• Like 1

Had the same, was convinced it was coming from the plastic behind the seats. Silverstone nailed it - seems everyone is aware of this one now :)

• Like 1

I feel perplexed while reading that much hasn't changed since old S1 times...mine produced different rattles when the engine was hot or cold, and others in summer or winter...

Not sure I could cohabit with them if I had spent 70-80K euro instead of 17K (became 50K over years) when I got it : (

I feel perplexed while reading that much hasn't changed since old S1 times...mine produced different rattles when the engine was hot or cold, and others in summer or winter...

Not sure I could cohabit with them if I had spent 70-80K euro instead of 17K (became 50K over years) when I got it : (

It can be very annoying for sure, but quality at Lotus has come a loooooong way since the S1 days (or even my early S2 days). The quality of the paint is superb, as is the quality of the leather and trim used in the cabin, and the plastics have a much higher quality look and feel to them. The rattles are a let down - and Lotus DO NEED to sort this out! My 2010 Evora had less rattles (but lower quality trim) than my 2014 Exige. I wonder how much of this is down to the old design and layout of the Elise dash and fittings that they are still using? Hopefully this will get sorted with the release of the Exige 400.

Having said that, I don't begrudge paying £60k for this car. It is a truly superb driving machine with junior supercar pace. Nothing else comes close for the money :wub:

• Like 2

definitely sounds like the roof to me, this one is more a "characteristic" of the car than a problem really. Best thing i've found for it is to remove the roof, clean the seals them put a thin smear of vaseline on them, doesnt sound very good but once done you'll get a few months of squeak free (well roof squeaks anyway) motoring ;)

Si

I had a noise from the same area, though mine was 100% the roof seal, as I could get it to go away when applying pressure with my hand to the headliner in this rear corner. B&C sorted.

I had a long run in the car yesterday which gave me a bit more time to locate the source of the squeaking. If I press on the removable roof panel just above the passenger's headrest the noise stops so it seems like it's definitely roof-related.

Holy thread revival batman! :ph34r:

@ColinH just wanted to voice my appreciation for this thread.  I'm looking for a V6 Exige S and have struggled to find too many complaints about them. Your thread has helped create a more balanced opinion on whether or not to move forward with the hunt.

Coming from 2010 M3, I'm all to familiar with the notion of disliking your car due to the fact that you never know what the 'next' issue will be and whether you will need a flatbed today!  In the case of the M3, the car is simply too complicated, and I now find myself looking for something simpler...hence the Exige.

From what I've read, I still believe that the enjoyment of owning/driving the Lotus will out-way the quibbles (if mine ends up having any)....but I really appreciate your notes and opinion.

Cheers

Alex

• Like 1

25000km and ~25 trackdays later : 

- esp disables itself without reason - 2x : solved by stopping and restarting the car

- door lock button not easy to push - 1x : solved by the dealer for free

- front right speaker nearly dead (vibration) : not solved, I don't care really

so based on my experience the car is reliable :lol:

• Like 1