free hit
counters
"T" Reg Turbo Esprit on Lotus Web Site - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ChrisJ

"T" Reg Turbo Esprit on Lotus Web Site

I was reading the Lotus heritage pages, and this picture jumped out at me. T reg is 1978.

96081_Esprit-Turbo-1980_353x248.jpg

Does any one know the story behind it? Is it one of the B&C turbos?

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

B&C cars were turbo charged S2.  This looks like a bona-fide turbo body, albeit with lots of detail differences .  I assume its an early factory pre-prod model.   Most obscure I can see is that it doesn't yet have the aerodynamic lip at the top of the rear slats   

Edited by 910Esprit

No LOTUS in the bumper or NACA ducts either.

Steering wheel on the left, Indicators/reflectors on the front & rear - US Spec car?

Early mock up perhaps?

"Group Lotus" copyright would indicate official photo, and 8 months or more ahead of the Essex launch...

The burgundy Claudius conversion here

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/64850-sad-end-for-a-jps/

also shows no lip or ducts as far as I can see, but also has the S2 tail lip., and I doubt Lotus would have used one of these in official publicity

I have seen the car in a few lotus books .Early mock up of a turbo carv.I think it's still on the road in the usa.Great part of lotus history....Mike

That car is showing these details on the DVLA site:

• Vehicle make LOTUS
  • Date of first registration 17 November 1978
  • Year of manufacture 1978
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 1973cc

Interestingly registered only as a 2 Litre so a modified S2. The Tax was up in '86 and no MoT so presumably now scrapped...   Perhaps a mule for testing the the modified bodywork? The shape of the rear plate certainly indicates it 'was' an S2 .......(didn't US S2 cars have square plates?)

Edited by nello

Hang on a minute! Just found this  - owned by Dennis Perry on this very site in the US......  http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/14614-calling-all-early-g-turbo-esprits/page-4

(post No.65)

This is the very same car apparently... post-15872-0-51317300-1379267721.jpg

....and it seems my suspicions were correct! ..................

Lotus Esprit BPW 908T  7803/0754H " This car was originally owned by Lotus Cars of Norwich, and was sent by them to  Italy to the designer factory and was used as the prototype for the styling of the Lotus Esprit Turbo.  Lotus Cars sold the car to Mr. A.J. Jones in August 1981.  Mr. Jones then worked for Lotus Cars, but now works for Team Lotus as the team co-ordinator.  Signed S. Campbell 7/8/84  Simon Campbell, Director"

Edited by nello

Well found Neil.

Interesting that it's got black sills - I quite like that look, and some slight changes to the photo at the top - NACA ducts, plus a lip at the top of the slats.

Would like to see the interior.

All I did was google the Reg.  :smoke:  Are the sills not blue to match the jet. Always loved the S2 speedlines and the gold centres are cool............. Think we'll need to email Dennis... 

I misread the reg, thought it was an A not a B. You are probably right with the blue - still looks good. Email away :)

Entirely from memory as I do not ave the book to hand but........

In the book by Jeremy Walton I am sure this car is in there labelled as an early development car noting that the ducts in the sills are missing but I am sure states a few  very early Turbos supplied to the States were given speedlines.  Maybe someone can check?