free hit
counters
Engine Mounts...again - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
winners

Engine Mounts...again

Hi Guys

I'm sure there's lots of experience of this out there.

Need to replace the engine mount on the exhaust manifold side. Been looking and access isn't great for at least one bolt. 

The bottom line is, is it possible to do this with the car on axle stands with a trolley jack supporting the engine or would it make sense to put my hand in my pocket and get a garage with a ramp to do it?

Ta

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've done it using a jack for support as you suggest on an S3, don't know if the S2 is different. :thumbup:

You don't need a ramp. As you've described is fine.

Pete

Thanks guys. I only had a quick look and one of the bolts looked difficult to get at. I'll persevere.

Have you got standard or tubular manifold? I have tubular and that needs to come off otherwise it's a real pain.

Pete

I've done it on my S1 with a trolley jack to lift the rear end high and a set of axle stands to support under the large chassis cross tube.  Not sure if you have the same style mounts as me?

Take the weight off the mount with another jack under the sump.  You will need a small 1/4" drive socket set to get in there - its fiddly but definitely do'able and is actually a little easier than it looks. I had the benefit of previously doing the job during my restoration so the bolts that hold the mount into the chassis were easy to undo - and one of them had to be undone turn by turn with fingertips. If you still have the original rubber 'bush' type mounts that push into a tube in the mount, take a tip from me and replace it with an original rubber one. SJ sells them now.

SJ used to sell a polyurethane 'upgrade' kit for the engine mounts while the rubber ones were not available, guess what - they melted after 100 miles :

post-3309-0-97458900-1431729181.jpg

If you don't already have one, install a heat shield over the mount when you reassemble. Tapping out the holes and using new bolts will make the reassembly much easier.

I had exactly the same problem Jon. Switched back to original mounts and wrapped with exhaust wrap as a heat shield. Works a treat.

Mark, 

I have the tubular aanifold and also wrapped the 2 tubes that run closest to the engine mount as an extra precaution. 

Pete