free hit
counters
Computer Help Please! - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Computer Help Please!

Kimbers

So I come back after a weekend away to be told by my son that "Your screen went funny".

When I switched it on he's right. Everything looks less sharp, is bigger and nothing fits in screen anymore.

Firstly, it's a purpose made gaming computer with top of the line graphics/video card, a brand new 24inch wide screen Acer monitor and it's always looked amazing before. 

Now before you go off and say "Its the resolution silly". That's exactly what it looks like....But when I go into resolution settings it's already at maximum and won't let me change it further. It's currently set at 1024x768 (which is weird as I am sure it used to go to 1680x960 before....but 1024 is the maximum I can now use!). My Son says he didn't touch anything he just turned it on and it was that way.

To explain, when a screen pops up it's off the edge of the screen. My background is much larger than it was and no longer fits on, the icons are all bigger but rougher looking......Resolution right? Everything looks like it's been zoomed in.

What have I tried? I have right clicked and gone into resolution settings, I have gone into my GeForce Graphics page and gone into resolution settings there. I have tried Zooming using ctrl Plus or minus and using the mouse roller. I have reset the computer back to a previous date before this happened. I have also tried the settings on the monitor....Nothing works and I am getting mega frustrated now.

None of my games look good anymore and even reading the news pages is impossible as it doesn't fit on the page!

Please help!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Check the cables?

That still sounds like to low for a 24" monitor... sure it isn't 1920x1080 or 1650x1080?

Go to the monitor properties, and select the button that says hide modes that are not possible, make sure you select 60Hz refresh rate and see if the option to increase to native resolution is there.

What model number is the monitor?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

It should be a 1920 travis. 60mhz is ticked it only gives me 2 options 1024x768 or 800x600.

I am stumped!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

in the device manager, click on the monitor, right click on properties, go to the driver tab, and uninstall the driver.

Then select the button in the device manager to refresh/scan for new devices.

If that doesn't work, then reinstall the video card driver software.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

GeForce card which is nVidea I think.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'm guessing from the wisdom above that its not just that your son held down the control key while scrolling up???? Does it go small again if you CTRL scrolldown?

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Maybe graphics drivers but it also sounds like it isn't detecting the monitor correctly which would allow the correct resolution to be selected. What monitor type does it say in the graphics properties ?

I thought of the drivers as well, but I also think Greg may have a point, I thought the same so I have disconnected it, replaced the HDMI cable and re-connected it, no go. It's currently showing a "Generic non-pnp Monitor" on the Screen Resolution page.

This does seem like a common problem with Windows 7 and has happened to other people but everyone seems to suggest different things to fix it.

I have done most of these, like running windows diagnostics and fixing any issues but still not working!

Have you looked at the monitor setting, actually in the monitor? There will be a "Menu" button on the monitor.

Do you see scroll bars on the side and bottom of the screen?

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Tried it Roger. There is no setting for resolution on the monitor.

Not tried the drivers as yet as, to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to do it, where to go or what to do. Surely if I uninstall the drivers I'll then lose the picture and not be able to see to load new drivers? Also, where do I get those drivers from?

I did do an update on my Nvidea account yesterday, as there was an update, but didn't solve the problem,

Not tried the drivers as yet as, to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to do it, where to go or what to do. Surely if I uninstall the drivers I'll then lose the picture and not be able to see to load new drivers? Also, where do I get those drivers from?

No, you won't lose the picture if you uninstall the monitor driver. Windows will default to a generic driver in the absence of a dedicated one; you're already using a default driver rather than a dedicated one anyway - that's why it's showing "Generic non-pnp Monitor".

The monitor manufacturer's site should have a support section with the appropriate driver for your monitor. If it doesn't then it probably means that Windows already has the required driver in its library. It might just need to be told which one to use.

To install a new driver, go to the Properties section of the monitor tab. In there you should see a Driver tab, and in there you should see an Update Driver button.

Edited by BillTheButcher

I have uninstalled and re-installed the Acer Driver and it hasn't changed at all. Still says Generic monitor and still rubbish Resolution.

Have you still got the box it came in?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

As Bib's has asked, if you still have the box, put it back in and stand on the bloody thing before your blood pressure goes through the roof instead of the monitor. then go buy a new one, justification being, you will need a good monitor to study all the drawings for the Excel project.

Good luck.

You need to distinguish between the graphics driver (which drives the monitor from the computer) and the monitor driver which is different. The monitor driver is actually a very simple file that mainly contains the resolutions the monitor can cope with and lets Windows use those resolutions. In your case because the monitor isn't detected then the options are limited for safety purposes (ie you don't lose the image altogether).

There are three potential reasons. The first is a physical hardware problem with you monitor cable so that the P&P info is not getting back to your PC. If nothing has happened to this recently then it is unlikely to be the problem.

Secondly the graphics drivers may be corrupted meaning they can only run at basic settings - but as you have reinstalled these it is less likely. Most likely is the monitor driver is corrupted in some way. You need the monitor model and make and then go to the manufacturer's website to download the small file. Then go to control panel - device manager and expand the monitor section where it currently says non P&P monitor. Right click - properties and then select the driver tab. Click update driver and browse to wherever you downloaded the file to and select it. If you can't find a driver then choose pick a driver from my computer where it will give you a box of compatible drivers. You could untick the box saying compatible drivers and choose something similar to the model you have from the options available. As long as the file is for a monitor with similar performance to yours then the resolution you need will become available.

I haven't messed with Windows in a decade, but, I recall something about pressing F8 during windows startup to get a "Safe" mode from there there's an option something about Last known good configuration, may or may not be helpful.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

Any luck yet Kimbers?

You mention that it's a gaming pc with a Nvidia graphics card, so it's probably a 700 series Geforce card? You can get drivers for it here.

When you are installing them make sure to select "clean installation" as that will remove any old drivers that exist and then install the fresh ones. Reboot after installing even if it doesn't ask you too. Try and set your resolution through the Geforce control panel rather than through Windows.

Also, if it's a Geforce card it will have a number of ports, sometimes a mixture of HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-A, DP (Display Port), DSUB (old school vga). You could try a different port of the graphics card but you'll need a different cable to try them, and depends on what ports your monitor has too. It's not unheard of for ports to fail on both the graphics card and monitor.

However, if the screen when funny while gaming it can be a sign that the graphics card is shot, or part of it. There's a fan inside to keep the graphics chip, ram and voltage regs cool. If the fan fails or is blocked the card should throttle down to save itself but sometimes it can be too late and it gets damaged.

Another point, your motherboard may have onboard graphics that you could try to rule out the monitor and it'll get you by, but it'll be completely useless for games.

Signature not working...

Thanks guys. With some help from one of our members I have tied it down to the HDMI connector on the back of the Monitor. it doesn't seem to be picking up the monitor, but when I swap it for my sons monitor that Monitor works fine.