free hit
counters
Replacement outer door handles problem - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Freemason

Replacement outer door handles problem

I've bought a pair of replacement door handles from SJ for my 1978 S2. I'm confused because the bracket thingy attached to the door lock barrel is set up different to my original. 

I know Fabian also ran into the same problem and decided to switch this part over from his original. I asked Steve from SJ about it and he said:

"I have never seen that before. Yes, I would say you should flip the linkage over."

Has anyone else noticed this when fitting a replacement door handle on an S1/S2? Why are the new ones the other way around? Is it necessary to change it back to the way the originals are?

IMG_2402_zpsr4uuvovu.jpg

IMG_2399_zpsglmmrnky.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seems a pretty simple solution. I guess it's down to where the mechanism runs in the Esprit door as opposed to the many other vehicles that use the same part cough Morris Marina cough, I mean Range Rover....

For anyone else out there who is struggling with this, hopefully you are not as mentally deficient as I am, you do not need to swap the old linkage parts from the old parts, you merely need to swap the linkage parts from left to right, right to left. I just realised this as I was pulling it all apart!

My replacement door handles came from Moss....MG spares...they are the same as MGB types, iirc. Still had to swap the offending links, though... Well done, Antonio!!! It's great when the realisation hits BEFORE you've committed yourself, isn't i??!

Does anyone know what size bolts go through the metal support for the outer door handle? I've managed to force some M5s in but they don't seem too happy, think it might not be metric?

IMG_1571.JPG

10 UNF

John, the internal door handles are from MGB and others, the outer handles not, they were used on Triumph TR7, Land Rover and Morris Marina but not MGB.

Giorgio

I don't have much idea with inch size fasteners. Do you mean UNF 10-32? And what would be the length? Is it 3/4"?