free hit
counters
Quandary, go old school or young old school - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Quandary, go old school or young old school

• Gold FFM

Well then, looks like I have sold my S4 to a new Lotus convert so look out for her coming back to the forum shortly. She is moving back to Englandshire so obviously that means I will be Lotusless for the first time in about 9 years.

No fears guy's it wont be for long, you aint getting rid of me that easily. So my quandary is I have an option on a nice old Elan 130-2/5 with bucket loads of history, requires very little fettling or a rather nice Esprit S3 which I have found, been in storage with the same owner for the past 18 years, 54k miles with all documentation from new. Obviously she will need the usual belts etc but she has been MOT's this year with no advisories and other than some paint damage would appear to be pretty good and the price is also favourable. Her odd part is Bright Yellow as in your face Yellow with Red leather interior. My only concern is I would be carless for a good few months and if I went old school would you crowed then ignore the fact I am no longer running a 907 or 912 lump.

What do you think guys, save an S3 again or

An old Elnan.

post-12149-0-13646300-1431437878.jpg

post-12149-0-30855900-1431437969.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wedgy! Elan is Pre MJK so .... meh.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

Hard choice, the Elan needs a tidy of the interior, otherwise ok, had a new chassis long time ago plus some other mods and it's like an itch I may have to scratch, same as I did with the S4. Now the S3, you all know what I went through to restore her and have kicked myself since selling her, but been there and done it, do I want to do it again, but you look at the pics and as mentioned the wedge just has something special plus she is an N/A and I still have loads of spares including a good engine and I know the S3 inside out. Toss of a coin or see what he general consensus is on here as I doubt TLF could give the same outstanding support with the Elan as I have previously had and would undoubtedly get again with the S3.

The other issue with the S3 would be I would not have a toy to play with for several  months, unless I steel Wendy's M100 of course but that would be under the threat of death, a cut off of all nuptials and any other sentence you can think of with horrible consequences.

• Gold FFM

That was the plan, an Evora but when considering the distance to get anything done( Edinburgh)  and it could only be worked on while I am at home that sort of said, maybe not such a good idea. I can rip an older car to bits no problem and sometimes I can even rebuild them, but modern electronics are white witch craft as far as I am concerned.

The wife just made the comment, yes get an Evora then because you cant fix it you will have more time to work on her Elan.

Now that's lateral thinking for you, and only a woman could have come up with that logic.

I vote Elan or Evora.

Personally I'd never buy the same model of car twice, once it's gone I figure you've made a decision and it's time to move on.

Life's too short, you may as well experience as much of it as you can, so scratch the Elan itch. ;)

• Like 1

Why did you sell the Esprit?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Hi Bib's. Loved the S4, it's power and it's handling and it's a spectacular drive. My one drawback with the car is that I am no good with electronics and if she needs anything done then it's a 6 hr round trip to Edinburgh to have anything done plus the time she is stuck there so I have decided to go back old school too a car I know I can do basically anything to myself without the hassle of going South. I did consider an Evora for a while but then again I would have the same issue. Wendy even said get an Evora, you know you want one then she completed her sentence by saying and as you cant do anything to it, it will give you more time to work on her car, cheeky beggar.

I had an Elan +2 130/5 before my Esprit S3. So here is a subjective view:

Elan pluses:

5 speed gearbox gives quiet motorway cruising but was a bit notchy (internals from Austin Maxi!).

Superb handling - great turn in.

Better looks from all angles than baby Elan and Esprit

Good fuel consumption with Dellortos

Aerodynamic - open the window at speed and it is quiet

Elan minuses

Lotocones! get modern CV half shafts

Chassis easily damaged

Fragile bell housing on /5

Knock on wheels (one of mine came off!)

Water pump failure

Feels fragile 

Esprit S3 

For a Lotus fairly uncomplicated

Feels solidly made and more planted on the road

Performance adequate

Solid chassis

Road holding

Esprit S3 minuses over Elan

Luggage capacity and ability to fry luggage

Handling - heavy steering

Road holding good

Wind noise

Financial appreciation?

Looks super but not a super car 

Happy wife - happy life. (apparently) :)

I think your decision has been made. :P

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I'd go Elan. Think the S3 would be a let down after the S4 performance you're used to but you could have real fun with the Elan. Lightweight and skinny tyres plus great looks. Plus, knock ons are cool!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Gold FFM

Well guys been and gone and done it. I will only be Lotusless for about 4 days then the Bright Yellow S3 should land in the sunny North East of Scotland. She is due to leave Maldon in Essex about lunchtime tomorrow by a trusted carrier who I have used before.

So if you happen to see a small truck with a Bright Yellow S3 on the back then you will know where she is heading, To the land of brilliant roads, tight bends, long sweeping curves and some fun driving,     eventually.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/pipsqueak18/library/1985%20Lotus%20Esprit%20S3?sort=3&page=1

• Like 1

Aren't you supposed to be resting up and not doing anything to stress the heart? :huh: ...........  WTF. Life's too short.  You don't know what's round the corner.  Congratulations on the new pending arrival.   :thumbsup: At least we will see you coming from a long way off in grey drab depressing overcast Aberdeen. :harhar:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

• Gold FFM

I thought about an interior change from the Red to Black but now she has arrived and you see it in the flesh, it looks like new other than the mark on the drivers seat, so it stays as is. The car was way above what I expected. Mike to PO seriously under presented her. My neighbour who took deliver of her while we were away said car's were stopping outside the house all day to have a look as she was parked on the street so that must say something, but then they are well used to seeing a variation of Lotus in all different colours outside my house. Don't think we have had a pink one yet though.

looks fab... that's the option I would have gone for to. interior looks to be in great nick.

I know there are threads elsewhere and debates over originality etc but those bumpers would have to go black for me!

congrats