free hit
counters
New Dash AIM MXS - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
OrangeBomb

New Dash AIM MXS

Hi all.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new dash for my Exige. The existing dash had been playing up and that's just about all the excuse I needed really. Having it fitted next week so I'll post up some pics once it's in.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/data-logging-dash-loggers-loggers/aim-motorsport-mxs-dash-logger-with-5-inch-colour-tft-display

Edited by OrangeBomb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice. I opened the thread expecting the big plastic bit that holds your stereo and heater controls!

See here for recent MXS action..

Need more data from my CupR ......    

Good point and amended accordingly!

Thanks for the link... Good to see someone else has gone before me. I've asked a couple of questions that might make things sail a little smoother come mine being installed.

I just bought the MXL2 for my Caterham and it's now out of date before I've even had a chance to fit it!

MXS looks terrific though. I really think Lotus should fit these as standard on the Cup cars, it would bring them bang up to date in a single stroke.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in this upgrade for my V6S - I'd be grateful if someone could tell me who might be best to go to for the installation. I presume someone knows which bits plug in where to obtain the data and how to make the dash fit the binnacle etc...

I'm really interested in this upgrade for my V6S - I'd be grateful if someone could tell me who might be best to go to for the installation. I presume someone knows which bits plug in where to obtain the data and how to make the dash fit the binnacle etc...

Are you based in the States or the UK? I can help if your in the UK

Winchester. View the forum on a PC and you'll see lots more info Mike next to everyones post or click 'full version' at the very bottom of the page.

Are you based in the States or the UK? I can help if your in the UK

As Bibs said, I'm in the UK (in Winchester), but more than willing to travel to ensure I get the best person to do the work. Distance isn't really too much of a concern, more the quality of the service and work.

The dash is the only thing that I would really like to change at the moment on the LF1, but I am aware of the dangers of 'upgradeitis'...

• Like 1

As Bibs said, I'm in the UK (in Winchester), but more than willing to travel to ensure I get the best person to do the work. Distance isn't really too much of a concern, more the quality of the service and work.

The dash is the only thing that I would really like to change at the moment on the LF1, but I am aware of the dangers of 'upgradeitis'...

After researching who's who and most capable it seems John over at JSRacing is the guy to entrust with the install and calibration. I understand he does things like this in his spare time now. Reach out to him and explain that Mike with the AIM dash that he's about to install has put you in touch. He's a really nice guy and has a great reputation so I'm sure he'll look after you.

Best of luck.

Mike.

Balls.... I did mean to attach an email address for you...

[email protected]

After researching who's who and most capable it seems John over at JSRacing is the guy to entrust with the install and calibration. I understand he does things like this in his spare time now. Reach out to him and explain that Mike with the AIM dash that he's about to install has put you in touch. He's a really nice guy and has a great reputation so I'm sure he'll look after you.

Best of luck.

Mike.

Balls.... I did mean to attach an email address for you...

[email protected]

Thanks Mike - I'll drop him a line next week sometime. Please keep us updated with your own install - I'd be really interested to see the pictures once finished.

On second thoughts, no time like the present - I've just sent an e-mail to John making enquiries.

Edited by TheDeadPrussian

Good point and amended accordingly!

Thanks for the link... Good to see someone else has gone before me. I've asked a couple of questions that might make things sail a little smoother come mine being installed.

Haven't got my car back from the shop yet (as I have been afflicted with 'upgradeitis' -- credit to Mark for that descriptor  ;)), but I think we will both love the new dash.  

You should consider  augmenting the dash with AIM's SmartyCam; and then, besides excellent video, you will be able display whatever data your dash logs and that which you want to see directly onto the video. The integration of videocamera  and dash is seamless.  An example of the data that you can display on your video ....

post-7947-0-24121700-1432828406.png

• Like 1

Haven't got my car back from the shop yet (as I have been afflicted with 'upgradeitis' -- credit to Mark for that descriptor ;)), but I think we will both love the new dash.

You should consider augmenting the dash with AIM's SmartyCam; and then, besides excellent video, you will be able display whatever data your dash logs and that which you want to see directly onto the video. The integration of videocamera and dash is seamless. An example of the data that you can display on your video ....

Loving that!

I’ve had a very swift, helpful and informative reply from John – once he’s done Mike’s installation, it looks like I’ll go ahead with my own.

The integration of the camera looks fantastic! My bank manager is going to hate me…

I’ve had a very swift, helpful and informative reply from John – once he’s done Mike’s installation, it looks like I’ll go ahead with my own.

The integration of the camera looks fantastic! My bank manager is going to hate me…

He's a really nice guy and certainly knows his stuff

As for bank managers... Mine needs firing because he's certainly not helping me to manage my finances!

I do think this setup looks great, the only thing I would warn is that now we are all used to true HD and even 4k from GoPros and similar, the motorsport cameras are way behind and the footage does not look great. However they generally have a different shutter mechanism that is better for motorsport, and avoids the "curving straights". I could be wrong but I think the AIM setup requires post processing with software to do the overlays.

VBOX do it real time and are aware of this and have a new HD product in the wings that I was told about a year ago, enquired again recently but still no confirmation. A couple of GoPro, an iOS app, BT GPS and ODBLink MX can achieve better automatically overlaid footage at a fraction of the cost (but you don't get the nice dash).

That said I am not interested in the timing aspects of these solutions but really like the overlays and GPS track location, so an integrated solution like the AIM would be really cool, one that is automated and powered from the car is very attractive, I would be interested to know if there was some way to completely disable timing functionality though.

The cost of the sensors is worth bearing in mind. I've been advised that throttle and brake pressure sensors are particularly useful when it comes to analysing the telemetry but rarely, if ever, come as standard. I would hope that on a recent Lotus the dash can get most of the data straight from the car's ecu. My Caterham's ecu is too out of date to be able to do this so I have to buy more sensors to do that job. The purchase price for the unit is the tip of the iceberg!

I may not go too far with the dash upgrade; I don’t need too much from it in reality, I can probably make do with the ECU specific information without the need for many additional sensors – it’s not a race car, so I don’t need all the associated race data. 

All I really want is a dash I can read easily with some useful information and that I can potentially expand and upgrade if I change the use of the car later on…

For racing I’ve used VBOX products before (in my Caterham and my Fun Cup car) and they are excellent with great support from Julian and all of his team at Race Logic. Pretty much every professional (and amateur racer) I’ve met uses it or knows how to use it, so it’s a useful sort of ‘industry standard’ and the software is easy to use and interpret…

The cost of the sensors is worth bearing in mind. I've been advised that throttle and brake pressure sensors are particularly useful when it comes to analysing the telemetry but rarely, if ever, come as standard. I would hope that on a recent Lotus the dash can get most of the data straight from the car's ecu. My Caterham's ecu is too out of date to be able to do this so I have to buy more sensors to do that job. The purchase price for the unit is the tip of the iceberg!

I've binned the standard ecu and I'm running the Syvecs. Plenty of info from that so no additional cost

Harry's Lap Timer?

Was I being too subtle? You can remove all the timing data for those that don't want timing included.

I do think this setup looks great, the only thing I would warn is that now we are all used to true HD and even 4k from GoPros and similar, the motorsport cameras are way behind and the footage does not look great. However they generally have a different shutter mechanism that is better for motorsport, and avoids the "curving straights". I could be wrong but I think the AIM setup requires post processing with software to do the overlays.

VBOX do it real time and are aware of this and have a new HD product in the wings that I was told about a year ago, enquired again recently but still no confirmation. A couple of GoPro, an iOS app, BT GPS and ODBLink MX can achieve better automatically overlaid footage at a fraction of the cost (but you don't get the nice dash).

That said I am not interested in the timing aspects of these solutions but really like the overlays and GPS track location, so an integrated solution like the AIM would be really cool, one that is automated and powered from the car is very attractive, I would be interested to know if there was some way to completely disable timing functionality though.

The AIM setup requires no post processing to do overlays.  AIM HD cameras are available and have been for a couple of years 

The screen shot I posted above was off a non-HD video made by the original AIM SmartyCam purchased back in 2009 and which I still use in my 211.

You do not need to display lap times.  What overlay you use and what data is shown is determined by the end user when you set up the camera.  

In fact, you don't need a logger at all to display many channels that are available off the ECU --- you need to merely add an "ECU bridge" to the camera to gain access to parameters like RPM, Throttle, Coolant Temp, Intake Air Temp, MAF, etc.  The G meter is built into the camera and speed is based upon GPS.

Logger is useful if you want to review and analyze your data post run/track session.

Screen shot of SmartyCam HD video showing limited data off ECU (more was available) -- no added sensors.....  

post-7947-0-16145900-1432908651.png

Great, now i have no excuse for keeping my wallet in my pocket. Although I am pretty sure they are only 720p, the same as the "HD" cameras VBOX offer.

• Like 1

Great, now i have no excuse for keeping my wallet in my pocket. Although I am pretty sure they are only 720p, the same as the "HD" cameras VBOX offer.

Come on Tom, lighter wallet will help your power to weight ratio.  ;)

• Like 1

Right at this moment i have a guy on the driveway merrily lightening my wallet with a new set of tyres being fitted, that and the brakes yesterday all round would have paid for one of those funky dashes!

Seriously thinking about putting it on the Elise though, should it ever get a build date!

Right at this moment i have a guy on the driveway merrily lightening my wallet with a new set of tyres being fitted, that and the brakes yesterday all round would have paid for one of those funky dashes!

Seriously thinking about putting it on the Elise though, should it ever get a build date!

I'm here to help.  :)

Here's a link to some info on the HD camera I have in the V6 CUP .....  

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car/smartycam-gp-hd/index.htm

Although I am pretty sure they are only 720p, the same as the "HD" cameras VBOX offer.

I believe you are correct ..... complete specs can be found here.....

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car/smartycam-gp-hd/technical-specifications.htm