free hit
counters
Gear Linkage adjustment - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
winners

Gear Linkage adjustment

Hi, can any one advise the way to adjust to linkage to help me select first gear more easily. I have replaced my engine mounts and first gear occasionally doesn't engage / select. To save trial and error, does the linkage need to be longer or shorter? if indeed that's the adjustment. I'm assuming longer but thought I'd check

Thanks

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Going from memory, the cable that comes through the bell housing will require adjustment, but if you are only missing the one gear then it will be a tiny amount as in maybe less than a couple of turns. Slacken the lock nut and extend the length by a turn at a time, then try it. Prior to that make sure the umbrella rod that comes past the engine mounting has been kept in the correct place. I have seen them fitted the wrong way to the mounting which can cause the same problem. But the above is on an S3, not sure if the S1 is the same.

If the gear won't engage because of the cross gate cable, this ought to affect second gear too...as the cross gate sets the selectors "across the gate" and thus enables (or denies!) the selection of the 1 & 2 plane, the 3 & 4 plane or the 5 plane ( with a further gate at the lever end for reverse selection..which is a bit further still than 5.) The cross gate adjustment being wrong is the thing that stops one selecting reverse...as it needs the cable to push the linkage to get the thing to the reverse plane; and cables don't like pushing, much. With age the whole bellcrank system that moves the selectors across the gate wears, and this results in enough lost motion to cause problems. Then people heave and strain at the lever and curse and wallop it until it does go in...in the end, the gearlever snaps across the weak point where the rolpin, which is part of the reverse gate, goes through!

If you can get 2nd every time...then it's most likely that the selectors aren't moving far enough forward, inside the box, to get the gear engaged. This means the big lever on the side of the box, with the gaspipe linkage attached, will have to move further forward....first check all the bushes and rubberythings on the gaspipe tubing. Once you have no slop in this..or the bellcrank on the crossgate...then you can adjust the gaspipe if needed. It'll have to be a trifle shorter to get the selectors further forward and get 1st gear!! If you do get rid of all the slop, the gear linkage feels far, far better....

As Our Man in Kazakhstan says...the gaspipe can be fitted wrongly, too. All good fun!

Hi Mark, yep John has given a far better description than I have. It's been a few years since id did one but as John say go through it systematically and you will get there.

Gaspipe.....just my whimsical turn of phrase(!) Lots of things have been cobbled together from old gaspipe...that linkage always looks like one of them...

• Like 1

Mark

I adjusted the gear linkages on my S1 this weekend. I have no idea how you should do it but I did the following...

1) Removed both linkages from the gearbox.

2) Starting with the metal rods I pushed the lever as far back as it would go on the gearbox

3) With the gearstick set appropriately I then set the length of the rear adjuster to match

4) Then change the gear stick to the opposite (forwards or backwards can't remember which now) and moved the gearbox lever to match, then double checked the length again

5) I then got my daughter to try putting the gear stick in reverse whilst I laid under the car turning the linkage half a turn at a time until it went into gear

6) I then checked all the gears and it seemed fine

The gearstick sits in the middle when in neutral which looks about right.

No idea if that's how you're supposed to do it but it worked for me!

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Logic will always triumph in the end....your system is as good as any other...and it WORKED!! The Fitter's Mate is always useful in cases like this...having to keep moving from gearlever to gearbox is a bit wearying!!

I used trial and error, gradually shortening the rod until in worked. But i had only one problem! and no mate to help. Kept me fit, dragging myself from under the car and jumping into the drivers seat and back.

Hi Mark, been there done that so many times it was painfull.

• Like 1