free hit
counters
Watch Collectors/Fanatics - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Watch Collectors/Fanatics

spoonito

I'm getting into watches and I've been doing alot of research on various watches. I'm just wondering who else is into nice timepieces. And post what you have and why you bought it.

I currently own a Panerai PAM183 a.k.a the Radiomir "Black Seal". I absolutely love it. Only 1500 pieces made for the world this year. Reminds me of the limited quantities of our beloved Lotus! Nice classy design and Panerai has a great history. I also love the fact that you can change the straps and buckles/clasps so easily and there are so many options out there from the OEM straps down to many different aftermarket makers.

I also own a Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono. Not as exclusive, but a nice watch regardless... Automatic movement with stop watch functions. This is my everyday watch and gets alot of wrist time.

I'm currently looking into getting a couple more watches. I was thinking of Ebel, IWC, and Hublot.

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list:

MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

here's a pic of my arm hair. I mean 72 Seiko. B)

watch2.jpg

My dad bought it in Korea, new (probably for like, 5 bucks :P) Worn it since I was 8... was a bit big on me then though :)

Also have two cheap watches with the Lotus logo, and another, newer Seiko. They don't make em like they used to...

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Hello!

I'm a long-time watch fanatic, or as they say on timezone.com, a "WIS". A WIS is a "watch idiot savant", which is defined roughly as: you know you're a WIS when your watch costs more than your car, but the watch you really want costs more than your house".

My first venture into all-mechanical watches wasn't supported by much research: in 1999 I bought a TAG Heuer 2000. This is both a chronograph and an automatic, neither of these complications appeal to me today. A few years later I got an Omega Speedmaster, Lemania caliber 1873 (I think), with a display back. This is a manual wind watch, which I prefer because I always know the state of its power reserve.

Just for fun, a few years ago I bought a Seiko Diver, orange face, automatic (and it can't be wound with the stem, which is interesting). It's a cheap watch, but surprisingly accurate. When some of the timezone folks got together for lunches in California, and sat at the table with watches all over the place, mixed amongst the food, someone remarked that the last thing a watch fanatic knows or cares about is the time of day!

My preferences are central seconds, a manual wind, and a nice uncluttered dial.

The Panerai Ferrari collection is amazing! The black rimmed subdials look just like the gauges on a Daytona.

I've seen and held some of my favorites that I'll never own. If I'd had about $30K to spend on a watch I would've bought the Ulysee Nardin GMT Perpetual, with the + and - pushers that will, for example, mechanically allow you to go from 23:00 Dec. 31, 1999 to 00:00 Jan 1, 2000 and back. The most expensive that I've held, one in each hand, is an F.P. Journe Chronometer a Resonance and the Tourbillon. So that's what? $100K apiece if I drop them? Very nice watches and an interesting complication.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

I went for the Omega Seamaster Professional back in 1996. Finished my time and became a journeyman, so time for some 'nice time'. Has a Helium release valve. If i ever need it! James Bond still wears one today!

Not sure if that's good or bad!

post-12-1166705521.jpg

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

I made some money on a job a while ago and decided to get a decient watch. :P

Wandered in to a jewelers to get the requisite Tag-Heuer/Rolex/Omega, and came out with my Seiko! <_<

Its a 1990 Chronograph 160 Sport (designed by Giugiaro) , and has been completeley relyable in the 16 years we have been together :P

P3100003.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

My trustee Seiko of 15 years expired back in the summer.

Bought another from Ebay - never heard of the make, seller stated over 2.5 carats of a girls best friend. Bid and won.

Thinking I would get 'ripped' , (or they would be glass) took it to a jewelers the day it arrived to get inspected. After a good look through his 'eyepiece' ( there must be a fancy name for them) told me they were genuine.

Bit too 'bling' really but keeps purfect time and paid vertually bu66er all.

post-910-1166715541.jpg

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

When I got my first mobile phone I haven't used the watch since.

Last week when we was at Christmas shopping I looked those chronographs and showed them to Heli but she didn't get the point <_<

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

My Dad gave me his 1968 Omega Constellation with "rice bead" strap which he bought brand new. Been my everyday watch now for 2 years, Interesting thread, didn't think there would be so many watch fans out there!

Where's PaulC?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Where's PaulC?

Had to update my web watch pages as i bought and sold a few recently,

mainly some Breitlings as they held value and i wanted the funds to buy

cheaper Omega's that i like much more, in fact i'm only keeping the 70's

square breitling now, i prefer it to the more expensive 'bling' models i have

now rid of. In fact i'm loving Omega chronographs a bit too much....

<_<

Is up to date now, except for a few Omegas i have yet to photograph...

here you go:

http://pauls-omega-pages.mysite.orange.co.uk/index.jhtml

Yeah there are quite a few watch fanatics out there. Like I said I'm new to the game. I do love my Panerai. Nice "oversized" 45mm case, but no crown guard which Panerai is known for. Manual wind, and small seconds at the 9 o'clock position, and an exhibition back. No actual pics yet because my brother still hasn't returned my camera... It's crazy because alot of the "Paneristi" from paneristi.com have GTGs like we do for cars.

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list:

MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini

Oh, Kato and Mark, i know exactly what watches you wear, i notice these things! :P

Wise choice Kato, i have a 'bond' seamaster too and will have

to meet up with you next time we are 1000 feet underwater!

I have an Omega i can wear on the moon, which is equally likely!

<_<

Mark, Nice, have a look on the web, how you lay the watch at

night can alter time keeping so there might be a specific thing

you can do (eg lay on it's side with 3 0'clock down, 9 O'clock

up etc) that will keep it good. Might be worth a look? But i do

see your oyster is chronometer rated and thus should be (i

think) adjustable for this anyway. (my Rolex is a manual non

superlative model).

:P

Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer Automatic is my choice, bought while working in Hong Kong in 1996, 10 years old and worn pretty much every day and the sapphire glass is still completely scratch free! It does gain a little but not too bad. As it's been 10 years I'm thinking of treating myself again, I'd really like a Tag Monaco, some good deals around on-line. A good watch id definitely an investment and if chosen wisely doesn't date much. Must say I like the look of the '70's vintages (hence the Monaco) so I could be tempted down that route....

Cheers,

S.

Mine's a Rolex Datejust. Bought it new a few years ago, but the stupid thing gains time, about 2 minute a month. Recently had it serviced and it still fast. Still, I'm always early for everything.

A gain of two minutes per month is well within spec. All Rolexes go through COSC chronometer certification which allows -4 to +6 seconds per day. Many mechanical watches don't meet that spec and can gain as much as 20 seconds per day, depending on their orientation at rest.

Even the cheapest quartz watch will be far more accurate than any mechanical watch. I've found that watch fanatics accept the mechanical limitations of their watches as part of their charm and the price to be paid for craftsmanship.

-Dave

Edited by mr50bmg

All Cows Eat Grass

I asked for one of these for Christmas.....Unfortunately my old man gave mine away at the charity auction in October!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

...Fly me to the moon...

img5491fq7.jpg

...and one vintage Omega from my father and of course the Seamaster 2531.80 <_<

I am trying to get hold of the 1st 007 Edtion Omega with the Double-O-Seven logo on the seconds hand

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

superlative model).

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, I'll try that out and hopefully it'll work.

A gain of two minutes per month is well within spec. All Rolexes go through COSC chronometer certification which allows -4 to +6 seconds per day. Many mechanical watches don't meet that spec and can gain as much as 20 seconds per day, depending on their orientation at rest.

Even the cheapest quartz watch will be far more accurate than any mechanical watch. I've found that watch fanatics accept the mechanical limitations of their watches as part of their charm and the price to be paid for craftsmanship.

Dave,

cheers for the info. <_<

Bang on Dave! <_<

The people that say 'a watch is just for telling the time' went to the same

school (and probably sat next to) the people that say 'a car is for getting you

from A-B'...

:P

I can buy a watch for a fiver that will be more accurate than any watch i own. In

the same way i can buy a car for half the cost of an Esprit that will be more reliable.

I own few watches with three hands, most are chronographs, and i love the fact that

the seven hands (and sometimes day date wheels too) are all powered by mechanics

and not a battery and a motor. At any given time there will be one of my watches in

for service or needing a minor job done (i have just bought a lovely Lemania powered

seamaster chrono that only keeps time with the chrono running, i know how how much

this will cost as i've had it happen on other lemanias, but as you say, i accept this as

after all, this one was on someones wrist before i was born...).

The other thing for me that is irrelevent is value. When i'm deciding what to wear i can

equally snap on a

superlative model).

:)

Is there an explaination to this phenomenon, or do I just have to believe? :blink: B)

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Mine's a Rolex Datejust. Bought it new a few years ago, but the stupid thing gains time, about 2 minute a month. Recently had it serviced and it still fast. Still, I'm always early for everything.

24_8_rolex_steel_datejust_blue.JPG

My wife has a Rolex and I agree with you. It does not keep time accurately even after servicing. Over

estimated brand. Not worth the money. No more Rolex for me, thank you!

Is there an explaination to this phenomenon, or do I just have to believe? :blink: B)

Sure, mechanical watches have a balance wheel and an escapement mechanism which is affected by gravity differently based on how the watch is oriented. In an attempt to counteract this, there is a type of mechanism called a tourbillon, invented by Breguet, which allows the balance wheel and escapement mechanism to rotate (!!!) about its own axis. The very latest tourbillons can rotate in 3 planes! Naturally, even the "simplest" tourbillon is going to bring the cost of a watch to around $50K or more, easily double that.

My wife has a Rolex and I agree with you. It does not keep time accurately even after servicing. Over

estimated brand. Not worth the money. No more Rolex for me, thank you!

What kind of accuracy are you getting and what do you find acceptable? A gain or loss of two minutes a month, for example, is very good. Women's mechanical watches are less accurate than men's because the movement is smaller and it is more difficult to regulate a smaller movement.

-Dave

Edited by mr50bmg

All Cows Eat Grass

The accuracy of mine is not really noticed by me. I work in construction so

i never wear a watch to work, when i do put one on in the evening or at the

weekend then its always a different one. As they are all mechanical (with

just one exception) then whenever i put a watch on it normally needs winding

and time setting, i don't wear constantly so i never see a months accuracy.

The exception is an electronic Omega i have, which coincidently is in for service

and regulating right now as it gained about 1min a day. Don't confuse electronic

with Quartz though, this has a (very simple) movement but the balance Dave talks

of above, is replced by some electric coils and a fork and the movement is referred

to as a 'tuning fork' movement and is made by Bulova for Omega. I like it as because

it's not quartz it still has mechanical foibles, and as it does not 'tick' it resonates a really,

really nice continuous electronic hummmmmmm....

Have plucked an image here, it's not my Omega, but this dial off movement

actually shows the 'fork' running through the centre of the movement. Those

of you mechanically minded will be able to see how the coils can rapidly pull

then release causing the fork to hummmmmm....

acc214mov2.jpg

There's a bit about the movement here, if you are interested:

The "Bulova Accutron" has a frequency of 360 oscillations per second (360 Hz). The vibration of the

tuning fork is controlled by a transistorised circuit in the following way: When the left magnet on the tuning

fork moves to the right, the phase-sensing coil generates an induction voltage on the base of the transistor.

The transistor "switches on", becomes a conductor instead of a resistor and the electrical current is able to

start flowing through the right circuit. The drive-coil becomes a magnet and gives an impulse to the

permanent magnet. The movement of the permanent magnet in the driving-coil also causes an induction

voltage opposing the power cell voltage. The result is a very small electric current and a prolongued battery

life.