free hit
counters
Watch Collectors/Fanatics - Page 9 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Watch Collectors/Fanatics

I'm toying with getting a new (old) watch.

At the weekend I saw a Omega Seamaster like mark's but with a black face. the shop is asking £1500. Any idea if that sounds about right. No guarantee of course.. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just bought this beauty, look at the enscription on the second picture, chuffed is not the word !!! 

I do like Bremont.  I designed a watchbox for them a while back.

Yes but who wants to walk round with a handbag trust me your better off with the watch and glad to see your still enjoying it I've given my speedmaster to my lad now after fitting a new strap on it an

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bazza 907 said:

I'm toying with getting a new (old) watch.

At the weekend I saw a Omega Seamaster like mark's but with a black face. the shop is asking £1500. Any idea if that sounds about right. No guarantee of course.. 

It's about the going rate in a retailer, the autos are a touch more, you can get a quartz for a bit less. I bought my son a Tag F1 for his 21st, but a second hand Seamaster was his other choice. I think he was put off because I wear a Seamaster.

Biggest problem with a Seamaster is the number of people who have them, but then that does rather back up how nice they are.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

New addition last week, though ordered in May! (The Ball Roadmaster GMT, #60/1000)

R5XdGAy.jpg

Left to right...

- Reserved for a Nautilus one of these days, until then there's a couple of NATO straps that get used once in a blue moon.

- Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph

- Seagull 1963 Pilot

- Ball Roadmaster GMT

- Raymond Weil Tradition Square

- Citizen ProMaster 1/100

I'm wearing the Ball all of the time now with it being shiny and new, though do generally rotate a fair bit, apart from the Citizen which hasn't had a battery in years. It was my first "real" watch when I was 15, so has sentimental value. It's also been to hell and back, and looks it, sadly. I've just noticed the battery in the Raymond Weil has gone as well... must replace. Everyone needs a reference quartz in the box!

Edited by Mister_Tad
  • Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Got 2 Raymond Weils stuck in a drawer as the batteries are dead. Never knew the value of them. I got one as  a gift from the Mrs, the other was found in a wooden presentation box in a box of tools I bought an auction years ago. The box had never been opened, came complete with certs etc.

I’ve always liked watches, but never collected them as I always ended up wearing the same one all the time, and then flogging the one(s) I wasn’t wearing. I do prefer Rolex, as they hold their value so well. I bought a blue/gold submariner in 1997 for £2500, and sold it four years ago for a very tidy sum. I also bought a new stainless submariner just before that, kept it two years, and made a grand on it. Actually, these two provided the funds for the very last Rolex watch I will ever buy, a Yachtmaster 2. Don’t ask me how the countdown sequence works, I’d have to read the manual again, but I really like this watch. And if I fall on hard times, I know it will make me money.

BF8F6E63-EE89-458E-845C-3C328FF38213.png

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Yep totally agree, had a Sub Mariner for 15 years have worn pretty much every day, including on site and it’s been through 3 full house refurbishments. Still looks great and works fine does need a service though. Only issue is everyone has one. Also an IWC Spitfire which is rarely used but love it and the Date just I have had since I was 21. I really want a Bremont but not yet. 

Everyone has one? Maybe they do in Bickley, but anyone with one in Margate has probably nicked it!

I do have a bit of a hankering for this Longines Master Collection job, though. Dunno why, I just like it.

576D5362-689D-40ED-ACC8-F178678F0636.png

Margate Exotics.

My watch collection has got out of control recently and I so many the Mrs has bought me a presentation case. Sadly I couldn't fit all of them in so my Tag and Lotus Brake caliper watches have stayed in their own original boxes.

I have a  Mickey Mouse watch which is Gold with a diamond in it and was presented to MJK for his contribution to the film Pretty woman. I have authenticity and a letter of provenence from MJK.

I also have the Gold Lotus digital watch with Provenance as it was a unique one off made for MJK.

I love Storm watches. They are so unique. Hence my car belt and pulley watch. 

Wendy bought me the Seiko for my birthday and the "see through" gold watch for our 20th year anniversary.

The rest I just accumulate.

Lastly, I have 3 Brake caliper watches. Whats the going rate these day for one? Thinking it may help me pay for my holiday!!

My Watches .JPG

My Watches2 .JPG

My Watches3 .JPG

My Watches4 .JPG

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks. 2 of my Favourites. The Gold see through Rotary is absolutely gorgeous when worn and its a classic old style wind up watch.

Been offered 5 figures for the Disney watch but not in the mood to sell it. Crosses into Movie and Disney memorabilia, always a powerful group of collectors!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2017 at 17:23, mik said:

You're going to get a broad range of opinions here. :lol:

I too like Skagens. My wife has a couple, my eldest has one, and my youngest seems to wear mine all the time.

I had always fancied the idea of an automatic watch, but not the prices. I have a couple of Chris Ward watches at the mo (a C11 MSL and a C1000 CE thanks for asking) - both bought in sales. I like them and the fact they sport the Swiss internals used by much more expensive brands (And similar "budget" luxury brands of course). Both are very easy to read at a glance - important consideration for me - I like visible movements but they tend to be hard to read. A mate sold his Omega (for another) as the hand contrast wasn't big enough against the face.

If you want a recognisable brand (nowt wrong with that if it is what you want) then prepare to pay much more, bit select carefully and it should hold its value. Join a watch forum. :)

I too have a couple of CW watches. But you can get an automatic for relative peanuts if you go for a Seiko 5. Just bought my second, and it cost me $180 Australian, about £105. 

3B43E1AB-D962-40D6-95D2-1737C2B0A77D.thumb.jpeg.914920ccde38283da37708ac4dd26414.jpeg

Edited by Injidup

Bought another while on holiday.........such a doofus! When will I wear it!!

On 11/12/2017 at 12:23, Injidup said:

I too have a couple of CW watches. But you can get an automatic for relative peanuts if you go for a Seiko 5. Just bought my second, and it cost me $180 Australian, about £105. 

Ha! - Just been looking at Seiko 5's for the Mrs - you can get them for as little as £57.00 in the UK.

A genuine question, have watch prices dropped over the passed few years as I had a quick look for watches I have bought in the past and I am sure they are cheaper now than when I nought them.

I think quality watches have dropped in price new. Antique watches are still pretty strong though.

Oh my lordy. I think I have my next watch!

https://www.stormwatches.com/mens/watches/dualtron-lazer-blue

Mine was £1,400 about 10 years ago. Pretty much the same watch is £3,700 now! 

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0012204/TAG-Heuer-Carrera-Automatic-Chronograph-Mens-Watch/p

0012204-0-ProductX?context=bWFzdGVyfGltY

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 23/10/2017 at 16:08, Mister_Tad said:

New addition last week, though ordered in May! (The Ball Roadmaster GMT, #60/1000)

R5XdGAy.jpg

Left to right...

- Reserved for a Nautilus one of these days, until then there's a couple of NATO straps that get used once in a blue moon.

- Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph

- Seagull 1963 Pilot

- Ball Roadmaster GMT

- Raymond Weil Tradition Square

- Citizen ProMaster 1/100

I'm wearing the Ball all of the time now with it being shiny and new, though do generally rotate a fair bit, apart from the Citizen which hasn't had a battery in years. It was my first "real" watch when I was 15, so has sentimental value. It's also been to hell and back, and looks it, sadly. I've just noticed the battery in the Raymond Weil has gone as well... must replace. Everyone needs a reference quartz in the box!

You need to get at least 4 of them serviced!  They cant keep the same time

#firstworldproblems - checking the time and realising you forgot to wind/set your mechanical watch that morning...

I usually do it before putting it on for the day, but if I'm in a rush and forget about it, I have gone entire days wearing a stopped/wrong watch :blush: