free hit
counters
Rear brake disc mounting markings - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nelly

Rear brake disc mounting markings

Hi all,

I am currently replacing the rear brake discs on my S2.  Discs are off, but I have got a red line marked on the "plates" fitted to the gearbox which I only noticed once the discs were off.  See below:

post-5743-0-43651800-1431635813.jpg

I can't think of a reason the markings exist - does anyone have any ideas why these might be here?  I have similar markings on my cams for TDC which has been done in the same red paint so thats got me thinking there must be some reason.

I would mention its on both driver and passenger sides.

Thanks

Neil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

it could have been either for the optimum balance or to identify runout?  or maybe some significance to the assembly process.  I Seem to recall mine has similar stripes of green paint, but I never paid it any notice, 

Ignore it. You're putting new discs on so markings likely to be for some old ones.

Might be something to do with setting up the backlash on the crown wheel and pinion...when the shafts are being rotated, so that you know where you are?

Was just watching this Lotus Documentary, jump to 1:14:30 and I think you have your answer.