free hit
counters
Aesthetics question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just a quick thought which I wanted to get opinion of

Believe it or not it came from an australian ebayer:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lotus-Esprit-model-chart-poster-S2-Essex-Turbo-S2-2-GT-Sport-300-350-HC-S4-S4s-/111670395262?

I noted that early 'stevens' lotuses didn't have the body protector underneath the front bumper.

Anyhow - mine had a painful time with my previous employer as I had a parking space on the 7th floor in a carpark in Ealing.  The ramps induced that 'cringe feeling' even at 0.5 mph.

So - the question.

Do you think the car would look better if I took off this part?  Bear in mind that what is left looks like a bad set of teeth.

Having waxed the car to within an inch of it's life the frontage was let down (probably not to those who didn't know what to look for if you know what I mean.

Second question - where can I find a replacement and is there more than one 'style'.

Once again - thanks for any input.

P.S. I had a look at my 'sleep posts' again last night.  Much laughter.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well the link takes me to a poster of all sorts of Esprits. Seems a waste to bolt that under the nose of the car. :P

Leave the rubber chin spoiler in place. It has aerodynamic properties as well as protecting the bottom edge of the fibreglass bumper.

The two halves simply unbolt should they need replacing.

My front lip was breaking apart and replaced it with an EPDM rubber extrusion from ebay.  Cheap, looks okay, and does the job - until I head back over to the UK and buy a new set.

I just replaced the centre portion (cut it off) and left the left and right side bits on.

post-41-0-19924100-1431736450.jpg

post-41-0-10316400-1431736467.jpg

post-41-0-42796700-1431736480.jpg

Leave the rubber chin spoiler in place. It has aerodynamic properties as well as protecting the bottom edge of the fibreglass bumper.

The two halves simply unbolt should they need replacing.

Hmm - cant see any rubber bits - just the remains of a sorry 'under spoiler' - and some lighter material which I expect is the very last bit of plastic held in place by the bolts- the left and right 'scoops' are ok.

My front lip was breaking apart and replaced it with an EPDM rubber extrusion from ebay.  Cheap, looks okay, and does the job - until I head back over to the UK and buy a new set.

I just replaced the centre portion (cut it off) and left the left and right side bits on.

attachicon.gifIMG_0672.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0673.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0674.JPG

Thanks - those pictures are great because it looks like you've had the very same nicks and rips as mine.  As mentioned it's just the centre area - the sides are fine.

In fact - I was wondering if cutting the centre away and leave the side areas intact but I can't think wether that would make it worse or better (to look at).

(Bear in mind that - to me - the 'look' of the front is totally crap.  All because of a bloody carpark where I used to work)

I like your workaround though, simple but very effective.

Cash supply is low to nothing so that's a very good idea for the short term

Edited by Stimpy

The black plastic front lip spoiler is apparently now obsolete, so an alternative solution is the way to go.

Stimpy, whatever you do DON'T get rid of that plastic lip. I'll snap a picture of my SE lower front bumper later today and upload it here to exemplify why. 

Behold:

post-14356-0-60024900-1431776302.jpg

post-14356-0-01789900-1431776307.jpg

The black plastic front lip spoiler is apparently now obsolete, so an alternative solution is the way to go.

Oh great.

Oops - also 'thank you'

Behold:

Ok.  Point proven.  I think.  Oh lord - I'm on the fence again!

attachicon.gifIMG_0672.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0673.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0674.JPG

What I've just found on t'internet could be good news.

I hope you don't mind me asking but is this the same stuff as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/002-Car-Body-Door-Bumper-Protector-Moulding-Strip-for-LOTUS-/331564964245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4d32cfd995

The side air ducts are usable so it might be usable for the front part only (including the 'join'

Perfectionists may baulk at the idea but i'm low on cash.

It MUST be better than the current effect which looks like a the loser in a boxing match!

Cheers all.

Do what you gotta do......it'll be fine for now.....

And go back to bed........sleep typing again.....

Drop the word 'Lotus' from your search, and find the same product for about £20 less.

Another 3am post! :sleeping:

Steve, why don't you post some photos of the front of your car so the forum sages can see what your blathering on about?

Ok - I've taken all your notes in, thanks;   however re: morning posts - no 'unfortunately' not - as in - I tend to get no sleep when there's no work the next day, if that makes sense?  No sympathy required however it was 'the awake' me; not me in la-la land.

Look! A late afternoon post! 

<I'll get pics, as requested>

P.S. That SJ sportscars kit looks like an interesting 'workaround' - quite costly - and I quite like the idea of dropping 'Lotus' from my sorts

Which also reminds me - I don't know if anyone has seen the advert - buts it's good info - when ebay-buying (for e.g.) spell the item in the search string wrongly - you'll get those who have accidentally spelled their item incorrectly - and possibly cheaper as a result.

Right, I'm I'm off to get an Apill Mackbook

Just done a search with 'Lotus' dropped:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCar+Body+Door+Bumper+Protector+Moulding+Strip.TRS0&_nkw=Car+Body+Door+Bumper+Protector+Moulding+Strip&_sacat=0

Seems the cost is based on the height of it.

Not sure why they need to sell it as 15 ft.  wide.

Keep looking.....

I was actually considering using this Rhino Lip stuff, since my 89SE didn't have a lower rubber spoiler (as you pointed out in the first post).  My lower front fiberglass is really chewed up, and I'm in the process of repairing and painting it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHINO-LIP-FRONT-SPOILER-BODY-KIT-TRIM-Lotus-Exige-Excel-Elise-Evora-Esprit-Elan-/151438167943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item23426b0f87

1070079_368111449981530_1906495112_n.jpg

Here's another thread about the lip spoiler options

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/63195-lip-spoilers/

The rhino lip stuff looks the same profile as a garage door draught excluder that is riveted to the bottom edge of an up and over door.

I was actually considering using this Rhino Lip stuff, since my 89SE didn't have a lower rubber spoiler (as you pointed out in the first post).  My lower front fiberglass is really chewed up, and I'm in the process of repairing and painting it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHINO-LIP-FRONT-SPOILER-BODY-KIT-TRIM-Lotus-Exige-Excel-Elise-Evora-Esprit-Elan-/151438167943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item23426b0f87

1070079_368111449981530_1906495112_n.jpg

Here's another thread about the lip spoiler options

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/63195-lip-spoilers/

Very interesting !  Although the postal cost would probably be prohibitive.

I did take some snaps from the front but they all came out shaded - after which - I didn't really want to start her up just to turn the car 180 deg!

I took a snap of my attempt at subtle internal additions though:

post-17156-0-05579300-1433641579.jpg

I can't help myself.

Why did you go with an ICE unit that is too deep for the cavity? :shock:

Very interesting !  Although the postal cost would probably be prohibitive.

I found they ship from the US as well, so I ordered one...  We'll see how it looks

They have a photo on ebay of an Esprit (88-89 looks like)

$(KGrHqV,!p8E8WnzEVzNBPLjlJO21w~~60_57.J

$(KGrHqZ,!lIE8Ml4,sjEBPLjlN,LTw~~60_57.J

$(KGrHqF,!iUE8cj4nvorBPLjlS,t3!~~60_57.J

Travis - thank you very much for the product info and pictures that spell out the installation route.

Extremely handy.

And thanks again.

'ramjet',

take a closer look.  The lack of buttons should give you a BIG clue.

• Like 1