free hit
counters
Paint Protection Film - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

If anyone is trying to decide whether or not to go for paint protection film, I thought I'd let you know my experience.

When I bought my car a year ago, I agonized over whether I should go for it or not. It was not the expense that bothered me, it was the thought that there might be a visible line, however faint, and that it might worsen over time. I'm a bit OCD about thing like that! So I decided against it.

Well, on balance I have to say I think I was wrong. I've only done 4.5k miles but there are definitely a few nasty chips - I'll try and photograph them if anyone's interested. It's not a huge deal to me - I'll have a re-spray done when it really needs it - but then I'll definitely look into which film is best.

Anyway - just thought this might help anyone who's not sure...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm working on my paint correction at the moment, and as soon as I done it, I'll book in for a protection film work.

I will opt for full frontal protection, so there won't be any visible line.

I'm OCD too...

Anyone interested in for a group buy?

I've had the Xpel film fitted and the film is very good, I was however unable to get the front clam done in one piece which I wanted though.  

You'll get a good deal if you're a Full Forum Member with these chaps :)

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/our-news/xpel-ultimate-paint-protection-for-your-lotus/

Already spoken to Mark, and will use him.

But now need to sort out paint correction 1st.

Thought if we have more, might get more discount. Lol

Ring Rob @ Supercar Detailing. He's in Matlock too and is a wizard with a Rupes Bigfoot regularly working on £1m+ cars.

http://www.supercardetailing.com/

Ring Rob @ Supercar Detailing. He's in Matlock too and is a wizard with a Rupes Bigfoot regularly working on £1m+ cars.

http://www.supercardetailing.com/

I just bought £300 worth of detailing kit... Gonna try DYI this time. Wish me luck...

Have fun :)

Had the DA out on my Impreza headlights to brighten them back up earlier, quite enjoyed it and started on a panel but really need to set aside a weekend! 

any more recommendations, more up north?

Go in the Xpel website and they list approved fitters in the country.

Had mine done from new and would def do again. Whole front, part sides and rear wing. 3 pieces for the front needed with joins where wing meets the horizontal , maybe as its white you don't see the joins unless v v close.

I was at the factory on Friday looking (and sitting :)) in my car and they did ask if I was intending on having paint protection film. I wasn't thinking of it to be honest but I think I might now.

One question I have is, can you apply wax over the top and if so, will you still get a nice shine and flake pop?

Hurry up Chris, I drive through Danbury most Saturday's and I keep looking for a yellow glow :)

Yes you can wax over, key is getting the paint surface as good as possible. You'll enjoy that given that detailing shop in your garage :) :)

Has Jim confirmed your exhaust as he was waiting for valves last I spoke to him?

You can wax Xpel Ultimate but you have to watch the edges for residue as it tends to accentuate them. Xpel is by far the best I've seen in terms of transparency and clarity but for the ultimate finish you should leave it unprotected. You will notice a slight orange peel effect from some angles with film. You'll never see it in photos, only the naked eye. Xpel is better than any other I've seen and many will not ever notice it (I've seen some really clumsy film applications that the owners appear delighted with!) but it's still there and would probably bug a perfectionist. But then so do resprayed panels and stone chips...

As mentioned elsewhere I'd have it again even though a few stones have got through but wish they could do a whole nose without a join. Overall the front of my car is still in great shape after 10k miles. My Elise needed a respray after 15k so it works and makes sense for cars that are used. Pampered concours garage queens are better off without it. I'd never put any on my 81 Esprit, it depends on what you're planning to do with the car. That said, I never I planned to put 10k on my V6 so quickly, leaving them in the garage is easier said than done!

You can wax Xpel Ultimate but you have to watch the edges for residue as it tends to accentuate them. Xpel is by far the best I've seen in terms of transparency and clarity but for the ultimate finish you should leave it unprotected. You will notice a slight orange peel effect from some angles with film. You'll never see it in photos, only the naked eye. Xpel is better than any other I've seen and many will not ever notice it (I've seen some really clumsy film applications that the owners appear delighted with!) but it's still there and would probably bug a perfectionist. But then do resprayed panels and stone chips...

As mentioned elsewhere I'd have it again even though a few stones have got through but wish they could do a whole nose without a join. Overall the front of my car is still in great shape after 10k miles. My Elise needed a respray after 15k so it works and makes sense for cars that are used. Pampered concours garage queens are better off without it. I'd never put any on my 81 Esprit, it depends on what you're planning to do with the car. That said, I never I planned to put 10k on my V6 so quickly, leaving them in the garage is easier said than done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DSLRUL26Y

Yeah, I agree now that if a car is going to be used you should apply film. I never intended my car to be a 'garage queen' so that's my mistake!

There's no perfect solution, I still prefer the look of paintwork without the film, it's all about which is less annoying, stone chips or the ppf line, bearing in mind that stones will begin to mark the film over time anyway. Annoyingly the cost of the film and a respray are similar. I'll upload a new video too now I'm past 10k miles, still glad I did it overall.

Only done 1K but glad I have it.

Tried to get a complete single clam cover in Xpel but wasn't possible without stretch lines  :censored:

Thanks for the info :) Out of interest, what's the ballpark coat for the Xpel Ultimate if you go for the nose covering, etc?

With regards to my car, it will be finished next week so I'll have it soon. I have to say that it looks utterly stunning. It is without doubt the most striking car I have ever owned. The way the gloss black sections sit against the glittering liquid yellow is just breathtaking. I can wait to share some photos on here when I have the car :D

• Like 1

Posted this back in 2014 but still of the same opinion...

I've had various PPF films fitted to cars over the years, Armorfend, 3M, Ventureshield. I decided with the Exige not to bother as I'd had issue with each of them. Main ones like other have said is over time the "edge" becomes visible and the paint work underneath eventually doesn't quite match the un-protected areas. 

When I picked the Exige up I had it detailed and coated with GTechnig C1 & EXO, although its not a PPF is done a great job at stopping tar, swirl and grit marks. I've got one or two small stone chip marks but you have to look closely to spot them. My plan is if it get too bad over time I'll have the front clam re-sprayed which is similarly priced to having PPF.

Posted this back in 2014 but still of the same opinion...

I've had various PPF films fitted to cars over the years, Armorfend, 3M, Ventureshield. I decided with the Exige not to bother as I'd had issue with each of them. Main ones like other have said is over time the "edge" becomes visible and the paint work underneath eventually doesn't quite match the un-protected areas. 

When I picked the Exige up I had it detailed and coated with GTechnig C1 & EXO, although its not a PPF is done a great job at stopping tar, swirl and grit marks. I've got one or two small stone chip marks but you have to look closely to spot them. My plan is if it get too bad over time I'll have the front clam re-sprayed which is similarly priced to having PPF.

Hmmm, this makes the case against PPF very well. Has anyone had a quote recently for a front clam re-spray?

Hmmm, this makes the case against PPF very well. Has anyone had a quote recently for a front clam re-spray?

I'm interested to know how much is a reputable front clamshell respray cost as well.

And who.

You've got to be be looking at £500 for a decent clam respray and hope for a good paint match! The trouble with this approach is that it becomes a judgement call on how bad do you let it get before bothering with a respray, so it will look well peppered before you get it done. PPF is a one-off expense.

Yes you can see the join, but you have to look closely for it and it's the lesser evil in my view. As Pits says, there's no perfect solution!

You've got to be be looking at £500 for a decent clam respray and hope for a good paint match! The trouble with this approach is that it becomes a judgement call on how bad do you let it get before bothering with a respray, so it will look well peppered before you get it done. PPF is a one-off expense.

Yes you can see the join, but you have to look closely for it and it's the lesser evil in my view. As Pits says, there's no perfect solution!

And I suppose PPF can only become better as it is developed and improved...

Morland Jones wants 1200 labour + paint material + VAT for a front clampshell respray...... Clampshell stay on, not off. Oh, may be not respray, just bad area, but blend in with clear coat.

That is expensive. :o

I know this subject has been done to death but I'm currently considering if paint protection is worth doing on my almost ready for collection white Exige S V6. Paint Shield say the film they now use is even better than the Xpel stuff.

My current S2 Exige (also white) has chips on the front and along the skirts, if my 'owned from new car' ends up like this I will be a little annoyed, although I don't know what sort of use the car has had from the previous owners (ie airfields)?!

My question is, how well does the actual film resist chips? I've replaced the side sections on my current car but they have chipped slightly, which on white is just as noticeable as a chip in the paint!

Decisions decisions... :huh:

It is definitely worth getting Nath. White is probably the worst colour for showing the film has been applied as it yellows over time and the edge/seem holds dirt which will contrast against the white. This being said it will take a long while to start showing and it is not extortion it to replace after a few years. It protects from chips amazingly well as it is springy and soft. I believe the car will come with sill protection film already on from the factory so you only need do the front.