free hit
counters
Indicator audible ticks - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

mine arrived this morning so i got it fitted tonight and its such a small thing but satisfying knowing that I wont be leaving my indicators on anymore like an idiot.

It literally takes 30 seconds to fit, so long as you are flexible enough to get your head in the footwell.

(please note the original ebay link above is currently out of stock)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Was hoping mine would be here for the weekend too, sadly not. Good to hear that you're pleased with your clicks though and it was a very simple fit! :D

Did mine today!

Here are the units side by side (for the weight weenies amongst you, I'm sorry I didn't put them on a set of scales :D ) If you want to buy one, google the part number. Amazon offer them on Prime, you want the CF14 JL-02, the PEREI unit is the OEM silent one.

Parts.JPG.264098a105d3f5b4c1c69527018323

Sorry for the poor photo, but here is the location, just left of centre behind the dash (RHD UK car, the camera is near the clutch pedal facing out towards the passenger footwell) . You want to remove the top one.

56a3ddbaa95b0_CarLocation.JPG.8d333da412

It is a little fiddly, and took some gentle wiggling as I couldn't grab 2 opposite faces to get a good grip. I tried contorting myself into the footwell, but found it easier to sit on the PAX sill and do it "blind". Took < 15 minutes.

Do you just pull them then? Tried earlier and was worried was gonna break something! Failed attempt ;(

:@Alias23 The unit isn't clipped in at all.

I too thought I was going to break it at first (which is why I took the picture to get a better look at how it worked).  In the end I removed it by gently pushing it back and forward until I could feel a gap developing between the base and the unit itself, trying to direct a little pressure using the pad of my thumb into this gap. A little bit of patience is required. 

As you can see from the photos there is a plastic guide on top of the OEM unit so maybe you could make life easier with a tool that correctly fitted it (I just tried on the removed item and a butter knife fitted in true bodgery fashion),  however it is certainly possible tool free, and would be my approach.

If I were closer I'd offer to help.

42 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Do you just pull them then? Tried earlier and was worried was gonna break something! Failed attempt ;(

yes just pull the relay towards the drivers side. It is a little stiff but as mentioned above there are no clips or anything to break.

the slightly more difficult part is trying to line up the pins to insert the new relay.

Thanks guys for this, I too had a failed attempt or three today trying to replace the relay. It is an awkward position to be in and try to get both hands on the relay and hold the rest of the assembly.  I'll have another go at it tomorrow. Pics are helpful - well done for taking them Simon Mac

What makes me chuckle is it seems every single Exige V6 owner is doing this mod :)

I might bring a load to the TLF meet at Brooklands and see if I can pay back my entry fee by offering a while you wait service :) 

(Though I might subcontractor the physical labour to crouchy with his record 30 second swap time! ;) )

and I hope that someone from Lotus gets to see these types of communications!

• Like 1

I think they already have as the Exige 350 Sport now has audible indicators. So you could buy the relay from Lotus direct :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, stratosboy said:

and I hope that someone from Lotus gets to see these types of communications!

Being honest I think it's just the aging platform. The OEM unit is CE marked, which means it meets all sorts of regulatory requirements for EMF radiation (which physical relays suck at).

Pretty much every modern car uses a speaker for all sorts of warning bongs and beeps. The Elise era kit can't do this, so they were forced into picking a part which is silent. After all pretty much every mainstream car nowadays uses CAN to tell a computer to play an MP3 sound of a relay.

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I think they already have as the Exige 350 Sport now has audible indicators. So you could buy the relay from Lotus direct :thumbsup:

That is interesting!

Looking at the press shots the electrics for the lights / traction settings has changed. I wonder what else is lurking. The actual dash display looks the same.

Hahaha woohooo I have audible indicators! How little things can make you happy.... especially after a failed day at Silverstone and warped disks. This at least has cheered me up.

Thanks everyone for the pics and reassurances :)

• Like 2

Just did mine too. 30 secs to get the old one out and about 60 secs to get it lined up to fit the new one. As said above thanks for the descriptions and pictures, they made it dead easy! 

I iterate Simon mac's advice, it's best done sitting on the pax sil, left hand in the pax footwell and right hand to remove/replace the relay. I don't think anyone mentioned it and I guess it's fairly obvious from the picture above, but the relay comes out towards the drivers side of the car. 

Happy with my clicks :D 

Ahh..that's better - all done and now have clicking indicators!

• Like 2

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen the thread before and have been carrying on with and swearing about the silent indicators. Order placed and hope to get it in time to fit early next week.

How loud is it guys? Only wondered because the indicator relay on my Mercedes SL R107 is near silent so a few years ago I bought a motorcycle buzzer to fit. That had to be the most annoying noise ever and only lasted 1 trip out before I couldn't stand it any longer and ripped it out. If this new one is loud enough, I'll see if it's got the same pins as the SL and buy one for that too.

My order turned up within about 3 days mate.

The noise from the new relay is just like any 'normal' cars indicator tbh. Crazy that it was silent from the factory really! 

Someone mentioned a buzzer earlier on and I instantly thought - man that would surely do your head in within seconds!! Haha. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Just ordered one from eBay, thanks for all the info, look forward to fitting it and hearing the indicators!

• Like 1

My indicators don't click and I have to say I don't know what the fuss is all about. Doesn't bother me one bit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StephVG said:

My indicators don't click and I have to say I don't know what the fuss is all about. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm a biker as well as a driver, so I'm used to silent indicators and having to consciously check that they're cancelled after use. So I agree, it doesn't bother me either.

@StephVG / @Neal H

I agree it's just a niggle.

However the silence "feature" of the Exige indicators, certainly didn't tempt me to disable the tick noises from my daily driver, so it wasn't ideal. In fact it bothered me £7 worth, I might have even stretched to £10 ;) 

Of all the mods people can do to an Exige this is probably the best in terms of value for money, with zero downside.

Now I need to find one of those relays that they used in Golfs that allow you to set the intermittent wipe timings :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simon mac said:

However the silence "feature" of the Exige indicators, certainly didn't tempt me to disable the tick noises from my daily driver, so it wasn't ideal. In fact it bothered me £7 worth, I might have even stretched to £10 ;) 

Of all the mods people can do to an Exige this is probably the best in terms of value for money, with zero downside.

If it's that easy to fix, you really have to wonder why the factory hasn't fixed it.

40 minutes ago, StephVG said:

If it's that easy to fix, you really have to wonder why the factory hasn't fixed it.

As I said in my previous post, they have.

My relay arrived in the post yesterday and I fitted it this afternoon. Once I'd located the position under the dash, it only took me a couple of minutes to swap and I now have lovely clicking indicators :)

So thanks again to the op of this thread for pointing out how easy it is to do. Quite bizarre how Lotus didn't feel the need to fit one originally, even though they have now done so. I can't imagine a clicking relay is much difference in price to the silent one.

Right, so all I need now is an aircon button where I can see its actually switched on in anything other than total darkness and I'm good to go! ;)

• Haha 1

Is it just me that not sure if I have locate the correct location? :(

anyone in London have done it? 

need help please.