free hit
counters
Wiper motor & linkage replacement (& washers) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sparky

Wiper motor & linkage replacement (& washers)

My wiper park hasn't worked forever, the pivot leaks like a sieve, and I have a broken washer nozzle.  Trev (the man who can find anything) sourced a new motor and full linkage recently for a steal, and Tracy got me some new nozzles.  The motor (there are 2 types) is the wrong one, but hopefully it just means changing the loom.

So, time to bite the bullet and attempt to do an Esprit job I've never done before, but have always dreaded.  Not even sure it can be done without a major stripdown!  I'm going in...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:scared:

Good luck! Be great if you could take some pictures along the way.

My wiper works OK but the mechanism sounds a bit 'clunky' so this is something I'll be investigating when I remove my interior trim for a refurb later this year as I understood it was a dash out job  :cry:

I'll stand to be corrected but I think the mechanism on your's will be the same as on my 1990...(?)

post-4129-0-70178100-1431706637.jpg

Wow, what a mare. I had to send out for another box of expletives.

Yes, it will be the same setup, and it could well be dash out! But I like to see if I can break the rules. Not looking good though.

I may abort the silliness and just refurb this one, we'll see.

Took a few pics, but difficult to get in there with a camera. Will post up later.

Crap pics from underneath - well, maybe not, as they do represent what I was seeing!  Just one worth posting, and that's rubbish.

First get rid of as much ducting as possible.  Be careful around cabling and vacuum pipes.  Best to remove the N/S windscreen vent, and this tool is invaluable for that (good for dash speakers too):

post-4129-0-07572100-1431712913.jpg

Here's the top wiper motor mount and, at last, a view of the N/S washer nozzle.

post-4129-0-87805800-1431712687.jpg

An assistant would be handy at this point to hold on to the nuts (1 just under screen, 2 under bonnet) whilst undoing the mounts from underneath.  I just jigged something up to hold them still.

It's impossible (I believe) to separate the motor from the linkage until it's dismounted, and almost as impossible once it's loose, as you need to undo a very tight pivot bolt with the motor floating and wanting to turn.  I wasn't even going to try the circlip on the crank - not enough room.

Here's the motor on the bench, showing a pretty poor condition park contact and track:

post-4129-0-99315200-1431713243.jpg

post-4129-0-85411300-1431713254.jpg

I now have to decide whether I want to get this motor refurbed/replaced, or look at rewiring the loom to accept the newer model.  I'll think about the linkage later - it's scary...

What age is yours? I think the mech changed after '98

Spot on - it's early 98!

Just checked - my car has the early assembly, but it looks like I can use the newer motor if I can change the loom/connector.  Not sure I'll get the assembly out without a major strip.

Neil, scattergunning back to your earlier post - it's quite common for the R/H windscreen duct screws to come loose, and this can bang on the crank assembly - worth a look...

Thanks for the tip, but where do I look to see these??

Ian, my GP wants a word with you.  Tea poisoning, he said.

Neil, the 2 screws in front of the binnacle either side of the vent - check they're tight.  Also, look for the vent moving slightly when the wiper's running.

FYI, that's a World record for deciding to remove the motor to actually having it out! Previous record was 3 years...

• Like 1

Neil, the 2 screws in front of the binnacle either side of the vent - check they're tight.  Also, look for the vent moving slightly when the wiper's running.

Ok, thanks. I'll check them when I'm in the garage tomorrow!

Bibs, do I get a prize?   :thumbsup:

Tea.

So he did it all without the aid of bulk liquid tea deliveries? The man's a legend, I'd let him have a go at my wiper motor, and he wouldn't even have to ask nicely, or take my wife shopping for the privilege.

Take your wife shopping?  I've seen the haunted look on your face.

Will have a bash at rewiring today.  Only have a morning window though, as I'm on notice from the missus to attend our youngest daughter's 21st birthday festivities.  Pffff, there's always something...

I've spent so much time in the garage underneath this bloody car, shopping with the wife is starting to look very attractive.

Old and new wiper motors side by side:

post-4129-0-81649500-1431867218.jpg

post-4129-0-62071700-1431867227.jpg

Not a lot of difference, other than electrical connection.  Decided not to change the car loom - don't want to be a Dreaded PO - so made up a patch instead:

post-4129-0-41410300-1431867260.jpg

Borrowed Trev's relay to test, and I now have intermittent wipe and park, excellent.  Just need to put the bastard back in now.  Will change the N/S washer nozzle and clean the tubing, then refit the vent, which needs a slight repair first, before refitting the motor.

post-4129-0-46710900-1431867269.jpg

Going to take this opportunity to tidy up all wiper externals, so have renewed the pivot seal, and arm will get a respray. Ian came down to borrow my Freescan lead as his has tested faulty,  and took way my wiper pivot block to see if he can bush it as it's badly worn.  Meanwhile I'll see if I can source a new one.  O/S washer nozzle may be a challenge!

Sounds like good progress, top jobbing. Feels a bit odd patting you on the back, are you waiting for the punch line?

Trevor.

This isn't right. I feel I've been violated.

And the Freescan lead worked a treat, mon beau!

I might even take some dimensions from the very sexy GT3 wiper pivot block, it puts the S4s version to shame, which looks like something the apprentices knocked up. The catering apprentices, at that.

Mind you, it's the usual built in obsolescence thing, presumably Esprits are not to be used in the rain.

At £83 a pop, and on interminable back order, you could do worse...

Help...

post-4129-0-08903000-1432238907.jpg