free hit
counters
Wiper motor & linkage replacement (& washers) - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Wiper motor & linkage replacement (& washers)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

That was 2 hours of torture, most of it in the Lotus position.  I'd like to meet the sadist who thought up the wiper motor assembly; maybe pop round for a cup of tea and his toenails.  It's in, it's working, I have intermittent wipe and park.  Peachy.  Also replaced the washer nozzle that side, and now have to get the windscreen duct and vent hoses back in place.

The wiper pivot block was badly worn.  Quite expensive and on back order.  Ian's pulled a blinder by machining and sleeving it, and I will have it in my hands tomorrow, so all back up and running by Saturday.

If you'd like me to do your wiper motor, call or email and I'll tell you to sod off.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

No, just didn't think you were that clever.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Get a room you young lovers....

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I actually think we should have an awards ceremony every year for for difficult / awkward job completed that year... the prize could be a mirror on the end of a stick or a head torch or one of the right angled screw driver thingys (i.e. the tools to help in these difficult situations)... Entries have to come with amusing pictures of said 'lotus position' and demonstrate that the job was a success! Extra points for doing the job on your own and wedging bits of wood as a substitute for a spare mechanic... 

• Gold FFM

Henry, great idea! The Golden Tool Awards?

Think I'll do the next cambelt wearing a blindfold. Any volunteers?

I just recommended a guy to you Gary, he said he needs a new wiper motor and power steering rack replaced on his Esprit, so I luckily I knew just the man for the job

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• Gold FFM

Tell him he might get change out of £5K.

• Gold FFM

Any road up, Watford Exotics' marine engineering division, based in Margate, has delivered the goods.  Ian has machined and bushed my wiper pivot, working in dreadful post-earthquake conditions (he's out of gin AND ice), to ensure I have functional wipers for the inevitable Bank Holiday Monsoon.  What a guy.

post-4129-0-53572100-1432307072.jpg

• Gold FFM

Ah, that might be a while as I've been up since 0430 and I'm a bit shagged.

Wish I could be there, break a leg.

Didn't the earth move for you then ;)

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• Gold FFM

Ah, the old "there's been an earthquake" ploy.

OK, I lied just a bit.

post-4129-0-94775800-1432319115.jpg

• Gold FFM

Whole wiper assembly is back together and works beautifully, but I have a little 'overrun' in the park position.  This means the motor crank isn't at optimum position, and I'm going to be spending a lot of time under the dash tomorrow trying to get it right.

In an ideal world, you'd take the pin off the assembly arm pivot, but there's no room to get the circlip off.  You can just get a spanner up there, and add a bit of brute force and ignorance to break the seal on the taper.  There's no space to be precise with it, so it'll be a bit of trial and error.

Of course, the motor crank is shipped in the right position, but the only way to fit it is by removing it first (due to the impossible circlip), then you lose the datum as the whole thing's invisible, and only just accessible.

Then I'll have the fun of getting the windscreen duct and hoses back in...

I've seen the photos.

Issa doddle........ :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

Done!  Replacing a clutch would have been quicker and far less painful.  Not sure I'll be able to move tomorrow.  My fix to the screen heater duct didn't hold up, so I had to rip it all out again and fabricate some bits out of ally sheet that I could rivet to the plastic.  That was fun.  Took the opportunity to spray a few bits and pieces, and clean up the fasteners.  Glad it's over.

post-4129-0-79173300-1432401359.jpg