free hit
counters
Change Wheels - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Woolfe Race wheels were manufactured for JWR (John Woolfe Racing) by a Guest , Keen and Nettlefolds foundry (GKN) in the U.K. Midlands

After John Woolfes death (at Le Mans in 1969) the GKN company took over the sole rights to the wheel design and began to make them as the Wolfrace wheel (with name cast into outer rim along with size)

The MDs name of that company was Barry Treacy

Lotus and Reliant used these wheels as an OEM fitment (on the S1 Esprit and Scimitar GTE )

I used to sell these wheels at a car accesory shop I worked in in the 70s.

Dissapointed that you think Im bullshitting you Dom , I mistakenly thought the forum members might be interested to find out about the origin of the S1 Esprit wheels :blink:

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Wayne,

The word "bullshit" never entered my mind at all. Wouldn't have been the first time similar names were mixed up.

Now that I know, the background, it is fasinating and has been added to my knowledge of the car I have loved since the late 70's. You are correct in that "learning" is one of the key reason we joined this site. So indeed you are not mistaken in your belief. Don't let my attempt to correct what I thought was an error color your thoughts negatively.

I humbly bow to your vast knowledge of all things G Car related.

.....I am not worthy.......

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

For all of those purists out there :blink: , since it is almost impossible to get S1 wheels here in OZ, I was thinking of keeping the retro theme of the car.

Wasn't going to put these on it.

post-1884-1166754547.jpg

But something like these (keeping plenty of rubber showing B) , not that low-profile stuff :) ):

post-1884-1166754570.jpg

post-1884-1166754602.jpg

Similar to Ferrari 308 of the same era. And I'm not going to source a Ferrari set. :)

post-1884-1166754904.jpg

Always liked those Bathurst Globes. Though they mimic the Ferrari's they do it better I reckon.

If you fit these would it be 15's and what tyre sizes are available?

DanR

I haven't found a supplier for the Bathursts yet (half-hearted effort at the mo).

I found something similar at http://www.performancewheels.com.au/classic.htm#classic called the Challenger. The one in the picture below looks pretty lame though.

Again, I haven't done a great deal of research on this either, with regard to 4 stud availability or other dimension suitability (such as centre hole or offset)

post-1884-1166828458.jpg

If you've got any other ideas, let me know. I'm gonna do some more research today. Also gonna find out the availability/cost of some replacement tyres for the standard S2 rims.

For the suspension experts out there, if for some reason I couldn't get the same offest as is currently on the back wheels and I needed to put a spacer in, would it change the camber on the wheel if there was nothing done to the suspension?

Don't discount the Challengers. I'm fairly sure they are the same castings as the original Bathursts. In those days (70s-90s) there was a lot of name changing and merging of wheel manufacturers, Globe, Aunger, Performance etc.

The photo you have doesn't look as good as the first ones, because of the size and off-set. Whoever makes them today should be able to advise you. Probably 7's on front and and 8's on the rear, depending on tyre OD's, may give you the look you are after. I think you'll find both those widths having the dished appearance like your first photo.

Also spacers won't change the camber, only the track width. Do you know what the original wheel widths, offsets and bore are? Performance should be able to work out something from that. But check on tyre sizes and availability before you commit though. There's not the range of 15in sizes these days as there once was.

Edited by DanR1201

DanR

Jan (F1 Karting) who posts on here has a website that deals with fitting larger diameter wheels to the Giugiaro Esprit.

Wayne B (glad I dont live in Japan) :blink:

Best of the season to all..

Wayne.. actually its Jon Sweet who owns the website (posts here as well) I am a contributor, but the wheel info is Jons good work.

On other discussions..

I think the speedlines, if they were 15" or more in diameter, would look more the part on the S3 turbo.

I believe the OE 15 BBS pattern are very well suited to the car, but the tire availability problem is kind of frustrating. I have a set of 17 Fikse Profil10 I will try out.. mostly because of the tire selection opportunities. I am not sure if I like the departure from the period look, but with the BBS LM type pattern, it is closer to the OE basket weave look. I may consider dulling the polished look tho and going more to a race finish, possibly even a gunmetal center.. who knows at this point. J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Whoops! :blink:

My appologies to Jon Sweet :)

Its been ages since I have been on that site (couple of years at least) and I had forgotten who was running it.

Jon has the Yellow 1983 doesnt he? :)

Finally got round to sticking my name on the sites roster :o

SUNP0003-1.jpg

can anybody tell me which wheels these are? part nos A082G4098F revolution FED MY 93 they are listed in the parts sale but i can't seem to find out what they look like

Heres a rear one :blink:

RevolutionRearUp.JPG

They are British made Revolution wheels.

Lotus used them on late 1992/93 Esprit Turbo SE (USA spec)

Probably because they almost look the same as the X180-R's Revolution modular wheels

esp026.jpg

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

can anybody tell me which wheels these are? part nos A082G4098F revolution FED MY 93 they are listed in the parts sale but i can't seem to find out what they look like

Dave Bean have a set for sale.

Whoops! :)

My appologies to Jon Sweet :o

Its been ages since I have been on that site (couple of years at least) and I had forgotten who was running it.

Jon has the Yellow 1983 doesnt he? :(

Finally got round to sticking my name on the sites roster :)

Jons is the yellow one.. not sure which year S3T tho'

Jon has been a busy boy the last year or so.. he moved, got married, I believe, and maybe even expecting.. thats likely why things are quiet with him and his lotus.

Edited by f1karting

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Now that the tires for the Esprit S1 and S2 are getting very scrace. It's time to rethink the wheels again.

As I do love the original look of the speedlines and wolfrace, I wonder what other "classic" look alternatives are there

that won't disturb the looks. (I like the compomotive look, but are these available?)

Is there already a Wolfrace / slotmag set available in 15" ?

Or should I try to get the original speedline design made in 15"?

(Maybe can be done as a 2 split rim based on a imagewheels.outer rim, and a custom billet remake of the center)

If so, are there more guy's interested to get a enlarged speedline made. And shhoudl it be 15"or 16"

I think 15"would be enough.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

In the USA a popular fitment to the S1/S2 was the 15" Epsilon. My JPS came with a spare set. They are the right size and offset for the early G cars. My set sit in the garage gathering dust as I prefer the Speedlines.

IMG_0290.JPG

I am a bit of a wheel fetishiist, ( I have a set of Biggggg OEM 20" wheels with impossible low profile tires on my daily opel Insignia for gods sake...)

And although I was always tempted to look for a set of custom wheels on my S2.2, I have never seen a set that matched the Esprit better than the OEM speedlines. They just look right.

I like the wolfrace wheels but they do remind me to much on a set of aftermarket rims, as they are widely seen in the Vintage Opel scene on Opel GT's ( I have one myself , but not with wolfrace), Opel Manta's and ascona's but also on some old for capri's.

I have the same feeling with BBS wheels on vintage beemers.

I love compomotives.

The only aftermarkets that really tempted me are these image wheels. I do love them and if I ever have to leave the speedlines, I go for this style:

lotusjps.jpg

Geert

• Like 1

Do you guys have a particular set of 15" tires you'd like to use for the S1/S2. I've got an after market set of 15" rims that look a lot like the compomotives but haven't had any luck finding rubber.

Brian 

I'm not sure which tire size goes on a 15" rim, I guess that would be 65 or 60 height. Anyhow in 15" there is plenty available.

I do both like the compomotives and the Image wheels. But still like the speedlines beter.

So i'm going for some research to check what is required to make a new speedline in 15". First scan the current wheels

and get a design in 3D. After that I'm not sure which methode to select for production.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Jaap someone already did this and got to estimate stage. Message Nic996 and see what the latest is. He copied Image wheels quote thus (I hope he won't mind me posting this);

BILLET 3 PIECE WHEELS

PROGRAM AND SET UP COST FOR BILLET CENTRE HUB AND COVER PLATE £500.00+VAT

7X15” BILLET WHEEL WITH HIDDEN PERIMETER BOLTS £292.00+VAT PER WHEEL X2 = £584.00+VAT

8X15” BILLET WHEEL WITH HIDDEN PERIMETER BOLTS £298.00+VAT PER WHEEL X2 = £596.00+VAT

COVER PLATES £30.00+VAT EACH X4 = £120.00+VAT

CARRIAGE TO GERMANY £86.00+VAT

SUB TOTAL £1886.00+VAT

VAT £377.20

TOTAL £2263.20

CAST CENTRE 3 PIECE

PATTERN FOR CENTRE HUB AND COVER PLATE £2000.00+VAT

7X15” WHEEL WITH HIDDEN PERIMETER BOLTS £240.00+VAT PER WHEEL X2 = £480.00+VAT

8X15” WHEEL WITH HIDDEN PERIMETER BOLTS £245.00+VAT PER WHEEL X2 = £490.00+VAT

COVER PLATE £25.00+VAT EACH X4 = £100.00+VAT

CARRIAGE TO GERMANY £86.00+VAT

SUB TOTAL £3156.00+VAT

VAT £631.20

TOTAL £3787.20

Edit: found the old thread;

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/47685-converting-from-5-to-4-stud-hubs/?fromsearch=1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I have 17 inch rims, 8.5j front 205 40 tyres rears are 11.5j 315 35 tyres, no wheel arche issues!

19214865125_563c529610_c.jpg