free hit
counters
Audi V8 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
62 boy

Audi V8

Hi All,

Trying to get in touch with Hilly as he did a nice job of putting a Audi v8 in a s3 as i would like to do the same to my europa 62s which will have a s3 chassis .Have tried to pm him but it would not let me. It would be great if any one can put me in touch with him it will save me a lot of time.

Regards

Jon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Think you need to throw bibs a bone.......... In the way of a full member payment - to unlock the pm bit.

It's well worth every penny for the resources it unlocks and the discounts you can get

Hi 62 boy, I have a 62 as well and I can tell you the v8 is too long to be comftable, I spoke to someone that somehow shoehorned a v8 (ford302) in a 62 and the bulkhead needed to come foreward so the space between the seats is gone, (no comfy ride). why not go for an audi v6 as (according to richard winter from banks) anything more as 270 bhp is a waste of power in the little 62

btw any pics? would love to get in touch with 62 owners

rick

Hi Rick I mentioned it to Richard when picking body up as could not pick up a turbo se engine for right money.As the 62 was the first to take 900 series engine, and Hilly fitted the v8 to his s3 and I will be using the s3 chassis it made sense to go down the same road.The v8 will be a stress free way and cooler runing set up .Till the chassis is fitted will not no for sure what will work ,how far have you got with yours. What chassis are you using and running gear. Have you cut in the air and filler caps yet and fitted doors as I can not do that till the body is fitted to the chassis , it would be good to hear from someone who has already been down this parth to see if there is a right or wrong way.

I have a little nissan turbo engine (ca18det) with around 220bhp (just a stage 1 chip/turbo) as I want power from low on.

un1-13 gearbox (the renault 21 turbo one often used in the gt40 and countach replica world), it's the same as the stevens esprit gearbox but with a longer diff (3.444) but I have smaller rear wheels..... 

If I had to do it again audi 6 speed audi v6. 

before you buy an s3 chassis check the distance between the rear wheel centerline and the bulkhead just to avoid problems, 

unfortunately I am in dubai for the next week and a half as I have an s3 standing next to my 62 so it would be very easy to check for you.

if you pm an email address I am more than happy to sent a few pic's 

Hi Rick

It would be good if you can confirm that will need to cut 5" out of the back bone at the front ahead of gear change as the 62 cabin is shorter than the esprit, as this is what Richard did a long time ago.Would be using the esprit wheels (BBS) as the 62 has big arches to fill.

Jon

Hi Guys. I love the lotus 62 cars...Never seen one or a 47 europa.love that car as well.i think I have seen a picture of a 62 with jensen Healey cam covers.....Zi now own a jensen healey ....But will allways love all lotus cars.Good luck Mike....

Hi Mike the best way to discribe the 62s is a lotus Europa on steriods would have loved to have built it with an Esprit turbo motor but could not find one with a damaged body, because if there is chance to put a Lotus back on the road I can't help myself I will . For example I restored my Lotus Elite which has been with me for 30 years but I wanted to make it a better car, so decided to but the Elite on a Excel SE running gear which took 2 years and 3 Excels .2 of the Excels I restored and put back on the road as did not have the heart to break them up for parts. But finally found a breaker that sold me just the rolling chassis with drive train.Have had 4 Esprit Turbos and still have a. Series 1 . But will not buy a complete Esprit as will not have heart to strip for spares, so that's the main reson for the Audi V8 to go in it .That is unless as the Elite project a chassis with drive train comes up , but the problem is need to get body on chassis before doors can be fitted , at the moment the V8 will be the way to go, and by the way if you look up Europa Engineering you will see Richards race car and see the attraction of building one , and the further up side of a tax exempt car .

Hi Giovnni .it would be nice if you could use a 907 engine.But I can see the appeal of a v8 .i had a s2 europa many years ago.Use to drool over the 62 and the 47 .such a great shape.Got to love Lotus....Good luck with your car....Mike