free hit
counters
Notes for the next Exige - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
The Pits

Notes for the next Exige

I figured we could save Lotus a small fortune in research by asking current Exige V6 owners to list the updates they'd like to see on the new Exige 400 when it comes out.

Here's mine anyway:

- adjustable steering column.

- new wiper/indicator stalks.

- lightweight forged wheel option.

- lightweight battery option.

- keep the sills for side impact protection, road-racer feel and sense of occasion. Those looking for easier access can get an Evora 400. Besides, it's the low seat that makes it hard to get into and lowering the sill won't change that.

- carbon fibre interior and exterior pack options. A carbon roof could easily save 5kg on its own.

- flush rear number plate lights

- GPS data logging TFT instruments (for the Cup cars at the very least).

- higher downforce aero pack option.

- shorter throw gear linkage.

- micro rear view mirror (if legally permissible).

- A/C should be standard on an Exige Coupe. Optional on a Roadster. Either way, go back to the old A/C buttons!

- carbon ceramic discs (current set up is exceptionally good but CC brakes could be even better and don't cover the wheels with brake dust).

fantasy options:

- higher rev limit 

- option for central driving position

- DRS rear wing

(a man can dream!)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In no particular order:

Better clocks and tell tales

Better ergonomics inside the cabin

Narrower front tyres

Start button, keyless entry or at least a folding key.

Less weight about 150 kg

Higher revving engine

Headlights that use bulbs instead of candles.

I would like to add I love the car as is and I am very happy with it.

Quality. quality, quality. The current car's not bad, but it's not there yet for a £60k car. The 2014 Evora demo I borrowed was pretty bloody nice, so they can do it!

Restyled interior, but keep it minimalist, and keep the sills (adds to the hardcore nature of the car).

Provision for a front towing eye without having to butcher the grill. Not having one as standard is plain silly.

In terms of performance and dynamics it's absolutely spot on. I don't even need the 400hp!!

Larger fuel tank

Get rid of the alpine speaker covers. Reflection on windscreen is distracting

Change the headlight buttons to something sensible

Indicators need to make a noise

Option for pre-wire for trickle charger

Brighter headlights or additional driving lights

Centralised rev counter

Get rid of the alpine speaker covers. Reflection on windscreen is distracting

Mine has plain black front speaker grilles!  (2015 car) 

But while we are on the AV side:

- Lose the Alpine CD head unit and put in a Bluetooth compatible one (preferably a Pioneer, as they use Parrot chips)

- Relocate the USB charge port, (It's fiddly to use, and I have to get my kids to plug stuff in, my hands are too big!) It would make much more sense above the foam phone holder.

General stuff, I don't think has been covered:

- Make the A/C buttons more obvious (I think this is what Pitts was referring to?)

- Audible noise on the indicators

- Some way of locking the boot when the roof is off. (Maybe swap the cable for a solenoid, and a button that only works when the C/L is unlocked?)

TBH though these are all minor niggles.

Just thought of another one...

Make sure the car defaults to touring mode when started. Therefore the wife doesn't start sliding around the first roundabout as the car was left in sport mode!

:hrhr:

It would be good if the digital display could remember its setting when you switch the ignition off. I always have it on the trip distance but it defaults back to the speed read-out in km/h when the electrics are switched off.

Edited by BillTheButcher

Some great suggestions already, loads of V6 owners on here so keep them coming. Larger fuel tank is an obvious and easy area for improvement that should have been on my list.

The intention for the thread is to compile a list of achievable updates that could make the next Exige even better, not what's wrong with the current car. After all, there really is very little 'wrong' with the current car. Thanks to everyone so far for getting that. Many Lotus people read TLF, so I hope it might be helpful.

• Like 1

Great idea Mr. Pits!

As a potential owner and according to what I found in the '14 roadster that I drove hard last Saturday:

1) better materials for the interiors (like more alcantara and softer plastics) and better assembly (I saw bad exterior panel alignment)

2) improvement in the gear linkage system (found it worse than in the S1)

3) Xenon or Led option for the front lights

4) a common PCD for the wheels and wheel carriers, so that you can find easily a second rims set for street/track tyres

5) a wider, lighter fuel tank (Alu no Steel)

6) depth adjustable steering column (taller people would love it!)

7) for the Cup version:

- less weight!

- 420 hp engine

- specific aero packet

- shorter 4-5-6 gears and a proper mechanical Torsen diff

- cruise control option (no more than +0.2 kg!)

- cruise control option (no more than +0.2 kg!)

Mine has cruise control :) I'm pretty sure it is just a different stalk, and throttle by wire override of the ECU, so <0.2kg ;) 

- One thing missing, and this somewhat ties into what others have said re: the trip/kmh/odo display. It would be nice to get a digital readout in MPH. The biggest plus to cruise is for dealing with the ever more widespread average speed cameras, so not having to do mental arithmetic would be good.

(Cruise is also great for moving your leg off the sill when you are sat doing boring motorway jaunts, with a near constant throttle. In my old Elise/Exige's I've often rolled up a jumper or such to cushion my lower leg, but maybe this is a "tall person issue")

One more I'd add to the list.

- Ability to switch off the start up throttle blip.

BTW, I'd love a "glass dash" instrument cluster. I have one in the Tesla, and I have to say it is fab. Customisable to your preferences, and only things you need to know at the relevant time are shown without constraining space, due to old fashioned bulbs/LEDs in fixed positions.   Want the majority of the screen to be a rev counter on track, along with loads of temperature gauges (or even graphs showing changes which is almost as important), no problem. Want the speedo being the major instrument and turn by turn google maps when on the road, simple... 

IMHO It really won't be long before all dashboards are like this, and traditional dials will seem very old fashioned.  Though I can't see Lotus being ahead of the curve on this one.  Ironically I suspect however this would actually save weight over all + give a more premium feel. So maybe, just maybe. 

Can be added by changing the stalk and an ecu update, not very expensive either.

Can be added by changing the stalk and an ecu update, not very expensive either.

I have to admit though, if you think the standard stalks are nasty, the cruise control enabled stalk takes things to a completely new level of pants! :D

I "upgraded" the last car to Elise Parts silver aluminium ones, which were OK to look at, but never felt as solid as standard. If someone actually made a complete unit, rather than a hacksaw bodge job I'd probably buy them. 

Just thought of another one...

Make sure the car defaults to touring mode when started. Therefore the wife doesn't start sliding around the first roundabout as the car was left in sport mode!

Please no... I love the fact it remembers the setting, used to drive me mad (and about to again) on the Elise having to remember to press the button every time.

Other than that agree with the above plus:

Exhaust switch remember setting from last drive

Exige Cup to be road legal version of Cup R, as the Elise 220 Cup is

If the next Exige shares the Evora 400 powertrain, with cooler, please let that be enough justification to re-introduce the Exige 'signature' roof scoop for the coupe.

An approved and optional harness bar would be great once again, as well. It was pretty useful in my S2 for regular track usage.

Some may baulk at the thought of extra mass, but xenon lighting at this price point would be great as well, or go back to the S2 lights that actually worked well.

• Like 1

Yes, harness bar as standard (or factory fitted option) !

Not revving when starting, I am not a boy racer.

It really does sound crap when it does that.

Yes, harness bar as standard (or factory fitted option) !

Like it but it won't happen. They want you to buy the cup, pay out more money and get much reduced warranty protection.

Sorry to be pessimistic but a lot of this is just not going to be achievable or contradict the ethos of the car. Is this meant to be a wishlist or is there some realism too? Remember that the V6 is basically a parts bin special and they are not going to want to spend any money so you've got to make the new car out of what the Evora and the Elise already offer. So, my view:

400hp, yes. LSD, yes. Bigger fuel tank - would be nice but will they actually want to spend the money homologating it if the Evora tank won't fit? Car defaulting to touring mode - It does that, you just turn the switch?! New indicator stalks - have the evora ones changed? Otherwise don't care, they work. Xenon lights - not necessary for me, the issue is the height of the car compared to other traffic and the pattern of the beam. Also add weight, complication (legally they have to self level) and more things to go wrong. New clocks - not going to happen, can you really see lotus developing a TFT system?! Pits' lightweight options do make a lot of sense and seem an easy way for Lotus to increase the profitability per car - in fact given the 2k option on the 400 for lightweight wheels you'd think these would be a certainty, but some of other suggestions - eg regarding the interior - seem very unlikely and seem to me to suggest the logical conclusion "why don't you just buy an Evora 400?" Why would Lotus want to risk someone who's willing to spend 80k on an Evora only spending 65k on an Exige? The interior will continue to be based on the Elise IMHO, which is also what the front end is based on.

The reason I won't buy an Evora at the moment is it's a tin top.

IF there was a convertible Evora, I very well might buy one... In the meantime, some honest feedback, on a car at this price range, is valuable, and some of the feedback here is actually pretty cheap to sort. (Moving the USB port 3 inches, stopping it revving on start up) TBH I can't see fixing those eating into Evora sales.

And as for the Metro wing mirrors and Astra stalks, they should have been resigned to the dustbin years ago. Every car review makes fun of Lotus over these items. i understand Lotus don't have the budget to design bespoke items, but at least use something from a current car, especially in something north of £55k.  The Tesla has stalks from a Mercedes, and again all the car reviewers pick up on it... the difference is they say something like "The stalks whilst bought in, are quality Mercedes items".

The biggest retrograde step I've found in going Elise>Exige is not being able to secure the boot of a convertible however is a bit of a fundamental design flaw, and probably should be addressed. (But then us Roadster owners are probably a niche within a niche)

But I agree a TFT screen is complete fantasy, doesn't stop it being nice to have on any wishlist... ;)

New interior please with new instrument pack like a race tech or 2D.

Carbon exterior pack for splitter, wing, mirrors and diffuser.

Though the current rear styling is weak, I do fear for how they'll integrate the cooler, though a working scoop would be fun.

Data logger for the Cup boyz

Not bothered about lights , though the Evora should be running LEDs really as a new GT car.

Either sill configuration, but let's have some decent protection for clambering in.

The usual switchgear, ac buttons , push to start etc etc

A bespoke build service, £500 as the entry ticket then spec as you want with additional cost per whatever features you want, oem car personalisation will become bigger in future and Lotus should use their size as an advantage.

Stuffing the Gt4.

I like all those options, happy for some to be options though.

As a taller driver, I've actually spaced out my steering column by about 30cm which provides a much nicer seating position over factory, but totally agree that the lack of adjustment is bloody frustrating.

I figured we could save Lotus a small fortune in research by asking current Exige V6 owners to list the updates they'd like to see on the new Exige 400 when it comes out.

Here's mine anyway:

- adjustable steering column.

- new wiper/indicator stalks.

- lightweight forged wheel option.

- lightweight battery option.

- keep the sills for side impact protection, road-racer feel and sense of occasion. Those looking for easier access can get an Evora 400. Besides, it's the low seat that makes it hard to get into and lowering the sill won't change that.

- carbon fibre interior and exterior pack options. A carbon roof could easily save 5kg on its own.

- flush rear number plate lights

- GPS data logging TFT instruments (for the Cup cars at the very least).

- higher downforce aero pack option.

- shorter throw gear linkage.

- micro rear view mirror (if legally permissible).

- A/C should be standard on an Exige Coupe. Optional on a Roadster. Either way, go back to the old A/C buttons!

- carbon ceramic discs (current set up is exceptionally good but CC brakes could be even better and don't cover the wheels with brake dust).

fantasy options:

- higher rev limit 

- option for central driving position

- DRS rear wing

(a man can dream!)