free hit
counters
Notes for the next Exige - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Notes for the next Exige

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not revving when starting, I am not a boy racer.

Can steer it with his teeth!

I suspect it'll be 400 for the S and 420 for the Cup but now we all know Lotus have got 450 out of the same engine we can ask the right people very nicely or order 311 bits after registration - where

Posted Images

doesnt look like an exige dash either though :)

458 BIG anologue rev counter and a single red LED fuel fill/speeding not speeding would do me lol

Edited by diego
  • Like 1

Very true Diego. I'm just a complete glass dash convert now. ;) You could have a track orientated set up, I could have a road orientated one, and switch to suit.

As I'm spending more time with the car I'm coming to the conclusion the current dash is worse than the early S2's.  At least with the old LCD style display (as in my pre federalised cars)  you could read the digital portion in daylight ;)

Maybe it serves me right for buying a pimp-wagon roadster :)

For me things i'd like to see in next Exige would be:-

1. Sort out the issues with gearbox/clutch/linkage

2. Larger fuel tank(for standard road cars at least)

3. Forged wheel option(should be standard on Cup/ CR cars)

4. Carbon parts instead of cheap black plastic, especially considering the price bracket it falls into now.

5. Decent Lights

7. Baffled sump as standard

8. Limited slip diff (as option at least)

9. Intigrated cup holder for pasenger side (could be built into blanking plate for lights/traction panel) 

10. Proper switch gear and stalks.

I love the car as it is just now and to be honest if they sorted No.1 on my list the rest are just nice to haves really but seems like there are a common few that everyone would like to see changed which hopefully they have/will have taken into consideration.

Fully fully agree, but not on 6 and 11.

The Pirelli tyres make this car on track Much faster als Michelin PSS (I have two set of wheels with both tyres)

Price cheaper.... pls let them earn some money so they can invest in make the cars better ;)

I suspect it'll be 400 for the S and 420 for the Cup but now we all know Lotus have got 450 out of the same engine we can ask the right people very nicely or order 311 bits after registration - where there's a will...

The thing is I heard the evora 400 was torque limited for the sake of the gearbox. It's unusual for a supercharger not to increase torque but the 400 only really offers a horsepower increase. The lighter 311 can cope better and hence the bigger torque increase to 335lbs/ft. The heavier Exige will be reined in a bit I suspect for this reason but it should mean Lotus will allow the lighter Cup version a few more ponies. Just a theory of course but there might be an engineering reason (as opposed to a Porsche style marketing reason) why we won't get 450bhp unfortunately. I'd personally rather have 450bhp and be told the gearbox will need rebuilding every 50k miles or so, at least on a Cup car, but that's just me.

• Like 2

The xtrac in the 311 is £20k plus fitting, not something you'd want to replace often or fit yourself once you have the car.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I meant the standard h-pattern box which has to be capable of 100k plus miles in a road car. Interesting that the Merc sls and Ferrari 458 use the same gearbox but shifts are a lot quicker in the Ferrari, the suggestion was that Merc were more interested in longevity as their owners tend to run up far higher mileages than most Ferrari owners!

The xtrac is industrial strength full race spec, no worries about that!

I have to get my Caterham box rebuilt every year for racing, it's a road car box and not up to racing, the R300 racers used to rebuild them after every round! But it's £400 to rebuild, a Sadev sequential is £8k. Rebuild it is then!

Just making the point that longevity is something Lotus have to consider for the road cars of course, just suggesting it could be a little relaxed for Cup cars with their 12 month warranties and typically lower mileages.

I suspect it'll be 400 for the S and 420 for the Cup but now we all know Lotus have got 450 out of the same engine we can ask the right people very nicely or order 311 bits after registration - where there's a will...

.... Just a theory of course but there might be an engineering reason (as opposed to a Porsche style marketing reason) why we won't get 450bhp unfortunately.

Seems a sound enough theory to me :)

I do think they need a little more distancing in the range, so this would help on that front too. (Or maybe I'm thinking like a Porsche marketeer :D )

+1

Will buy a 311 with roof on.

For me the Exige was a Zenos with a roof on ;)  

Seriously though if Lotus are true to form, the bigger BHP and some of the fancy bits will come down to the Cup next year, followed by the PP version of the base car the year later.

Let's all just sit here and admire the 3-11 for what it is. A preview of what to expect in a couple of years time for us road users ;)

+1

Will buy a 311 with roof on.

Would also really want one in case it had as least a very good carbon hardtop possibility for the road car!

Really think Lotus should make one variant of it with that option, similar to the optional tonneau panel they offer already.

• 2 weeks later...

Please feel free to disregard this post as not currently an owner... but I have come very close to buying a V6 recently, and (apologies) am a serial P-car owner, so maybe the kind of customer Lotus would like to attract? So.. love the current V6, shape is great, exterior details, scoops and wings just perfect. The fact that it is a small and light car is a considerable advantage compared to current Porsche models (my 911 is almost 1500kg, and feels it on the track tbf). I am 5'9" so fit in ok, don't mind the acrobatics required to get in and out, adds to the occasion, although as has been mentioned, the platform will have to deal with a taller average height buyer over the next 10 yrs, maybe that's a job for the next full model, not facelift with more power. Keep the external car pretty much the same if possible, the interior doesn't need to be any more complicated, just slightly better finished.. dash plastic, interior of doors could maybe gel better with the cabin design perhaps. Harness bar must be an option on std road car or CR for sure if not. Seats seem a little flat in the regular car, but I've only driven a v6 for a couple of hrs total, and not on a track, so I'm sure current owners know much better. Would quite like a paddle shift that feels more motorsport, (maybe unfair as IPS I drove in an evora a while back was poor, and not tried auto in latest exige) as I find PDK mostly brilliant on road and track. 

Anyway good luck LOTUS with the facelifted exige, hopefully the quality will be a bit like the Evora 400 without the busy styling (imho), please don't do too much to the current shape, it's spot on.  

Edited by mcx

May sound a bit trivial but I'm coming from this as a daily driver;

I'd like to have a cabin fan setting below position 1 as I find it too noisey on position 1 - I know the car isn't quiet by any means but other cars can have quiet fans so why can't the Exige?

Oh and variable delay intermittent wiper.

Doubt this would add any weight or significant cost?

I'd like to have a cabin fan setting below position 1 as I find it too noisey on position 1 - I know the car isn't quiet by any means but other cars can have quiet fans so why can't the Exige?

I agree. I am switching between "on" and "1" on street. While tracking it's on "3". 

Having just tried to thread cables between the cabin and the boot, I'd like Lotus to add some sort of "Video Pack" pack to the cars as an option. 

Just some USB / Mic wires running from inside the cabin to the boot area, some hard mounts to bolt GoPro etc.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that would want to film their exploits* in the car.

(*And no I'm not making a XXX movie :D )

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I think the ideal dash for the new car, or at least the new Cup cars is right here:

http://www.aimshop.co.uk/collections/car-dataloggers/products/aim-mxs-dash

I obviously agree ...... :D

post-7947-0-29818300-1439907077.jpg

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Having just tried to thread cables between the cabin and the boot, I'd like Lotus to add some sort of "Video Pack" pack to the cars as an option. 

Just some USB / Mic wires running from inside the cabin to the boot area, some hard mounts to bolt GoPro etc.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that would want to film their exploits* in the car.

(*And no I'm not making a XXX movie :D )

Were you successful?

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com