free hit
counters
refitting water coolers, how? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jacques

refitting water coolers, how?

Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble (to say the least), in refitting the Water cooler package on my Esprit Turbo SE.

I am very open to sugestions on how to perform this theavy task.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

problem with lifting the complete undertray with the radiator / condensor into position?

Use 4 threaded rods with some washers and nuts.

Trolley jack under one side, you under the other, operate jack with leg, have a couple of bolts in mouth.

I went for the trolley jack and support from bits of wood and bricks and as sparky said one leg. still it was on a grass verge and raining.

enjoy, must be easier if you can get someone to help you

I seem to remember laying on my back with the rad pack/tray on my chest.  I then lifted in to place and holding it with my knee  and one arm jammed 2 200mm long threaded  bars in through the horizontal bold holes one each side .  They must be long not just a 50mm bolt. That gave me enough time to put the jack under the tray to provide some support ( I think) then I quickly fitted the vertical bolts that were the easiest to get to from the wheel arch/wing area.

However mine is poverty spec with no ac so maybe lighter than yours.   You earn your lotus spurs on this one!!! if you do it by your self. 

Or much easier and much more sensible......................... get 2 other people to help you but remember sensible is not the lotus way!!!.

Even without the weight of the chargecooler bits, I needed two helpers when re-fitting mine.

I've always done it how Sparky describes.  One man operation, working jack with leg while aligning cooling package with bolt holes.

That contortionist method might be alright for you young bucks, but us old timers need some help in the form of a quad-bike scissor lift!

Thanks all. Here is how I did it today; 25 real easy steps. Hassle-free and great fun, involving a six-pac (not the muscles). Well, maybe a bit.

1/ My Esprit is parked with the front over a pit. Not a Deep pit, but a pit.

2/ I reassembeled the radiator pack and had it placed aside, incl. new O-rings and Wera ceramic grease on the air con threads. New stainless bolts ready with washers on, rubber washers on, and copper grease on.

3/ On each side of the pit, is a metal edge raised a bit over ground level. I made a sledge of some hard plywood, 120 cm by 35 cm, and screwed it onto two pieces of Wood, 35 cm long each. Now this sledge can slide easily forth and back.

4/ Place the complete radiatorpack on the sledge.

5/ Take two pieces of strong nylon string, 2,5 meter each and pull through the first and the last vertical hole on each side of the big cowl. The horizontal hole, one on each side, will therefore be the first holes to get a M8*25mm bolt through later on.

The oil coolers holes, one on each side between the two holes with a string through, is not used. This is to spread the load on the glassfiber cowl, and avoid breakage.

6/ Lift the Esprit front, one side with a flat Jack, and place an old car steel wheel (with tire) under the left front Wheel on the Esprit.

Repeat on the right side. The Esprit nose is now exactly so high, that you can do step number 7, AND have the flat Jack free for later.

7/ Push the sledge under the front of the Esprit.

8/ Now push each end of each string through the corresponding holes in the Esprit's body. Tie a solid knot on each string, by binding them together.

9/ Go in the pit and connect the remaining air con hose to the air con radiator. Push the other air con hose through the rubber gromet in the Esprit's body.

10/ Now we're ready to lift the radiator pack up and into the gap just over the lower front bumper edge.

This is done in the following way:

11/ one friend on each side of the Esprit is slowly lifting the radiator pack, standing straight up on the ground (no back pain); one on each side, and pulling in each their string, that comes through the front of the Esprit's body.

12/ one friend stays in front of the Esprit in the pit, helping to steer the radiator pack.

13/ one friend have two times three M8*25mm bolts with big M8*25 washers ready, plus the rubber washers; three each side in the front compartment, where the spare tire used to live.

14/ You stay in the pit, under the car, being ready to steer the radiator pack forth and back, and into position.

15/ On the left side is a wire to the fog lights, Either disconnect them, or steer the radiator pack over this, so that the wires are outside and below the radiator pack.

16/ on the left side is also a long(-ish) Water hose. Move it slightly to avoid jamming the radiator pack steering into position.

17/ Steer the radiator pack into position by lifting (your frind in the pit, in front of the car) it a bit more on the front edge (lifting the strings), to lift the font outer left and right edge over the fog lamps.

18/ Lift up the rear edge of the radiator pack (you) up, and VOILA, the radiator pack is in place.

19/ have your friend who will soon place the 6 M8*25mm bolts through from above, give you the flat Jack, and place it on sledge, just under left side corner of the radiator cowl (a strong point). Insert a piece of Wood to spread the load. Lift the Jack ever so slightly, thereby aligning the holes in the radiator cowl, with the corresponding holes in the Esprit's body.

20/ Your bolt holding friend, will now lower one bolt through the front left side horizontal hole (not used by the string), and since you now have your hands free, place a washer and a nyloc nut and tighten loosely.

21/ repeat on the right side.

22/ Cut the strings and have your bolt holding friend insert the remaining 4 bolts, and you place the washers and nyloc nuts. Thighten loosely.

23/ recheck everything and tighten to propper Nm. Remove flat Jack and Wood. Lift and remove the two steel Wheels.

24/ Get out of the pit and open a case of 30 beers and bring several toasts.

25/ Have a nice dinner with your friends and not that this Whole operation took a bit less than 20 minutes, total pain free, totally without any hassle, what so ever.

Hope this will be of help for Lotus Esprit owners in the future.

That is the Lotus way ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.