free hit
counters
Todays entertainment! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Todays entertainment!

Whilst trying to adjust my gear selection at the cross gate cable there is a connection assembly that is mounted to a bracket which is held by the top bolt of the clutch slave cylinder.  The adjustments nuts were very tight/dirty and difficult to get a spanner on so I thought the best is to remove the top bolt so I can remove the cross gate cable assembly.  Clean it up grease it etc.

The top bolt sheared.  Great!  To get access to this I had to remove the slave cylinder and guess what.....The bottom bolt sheared.   Oh Joy.

The car is now jacked up and the bolts soaking in oil.  I will not now have a chance to tackle them until next Friday.  I am hoping a week of my son spraying WD40 on the offending bolts each night will do the trick.  If not I could heat the area but I am slightly reluctant to heat the gearbox casting which is what the sheared bolts are screwed into.  I am assuming a severe case if dissimilar metal corrosion.

Any comments re heating this area would be much appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How about Freeze-off (by CRC or similar)? It is a can with penetrating oil that cools the part. This might break the seal between the rusted parts.

Yes could try.  Will find a supplier. Thanks

Exactly that spray just helped me in the weekend, freeing up and old fitting on an air con hose.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Is that the same thing as CarPlan's "Freeze Yer Nuts off" stuff? Never heard of anything like this and keen to try it. I do wonder how the penetrating fluid doesn't freeze as well though! 

Looks like a similar product. There is another one called DuPont Deep Freeze. And another one from Loctite. I guess the freezing point of the oil is below the temperature of the spray.

I've also read that a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone works well as a penetrating oils but I have not tried it.

I ordered some "freeze your nuts off" on ebay last night.  I shall report back next week about my success or failure!  Assuming I get to tackle the job at the weekend.

Well I tried but failed!  Therefore I can not report if the freezing spray is good or bad.  Suffice to say I still have two bolts still stuck with no realistic way of removing them.

Engine and gearbox are coming out!

Shame about the freeze spray. 

I tell you what, I'll come round with my air hammer and remove them :2guns::). I'd think twice though!