free hit
counters
European tour 2015 - Events - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
CaptainSlow

European tour 2015

Currently planning the holiday which will include a fair bit of Europe this summer. On a high level we are looking at 2857 miles which will take us down to Italy via Mosel valley and Route Napoleon. Then we'll stay a week in northern Italy by the lakes. On the way back we'll stop in Salzburg and Berlin. In all two weeks starting July 22. Details remains to be settled, but at least the hotels are booked.

Any one else going to the south of Europe this Summer?

post-13648-0-38246600-1431889019.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Definitely replan the Route Napoleon and take the Route des Grandes Alpes. It is jut made for a Lotus. We will be driving down end August. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Leave the A5 at Freiburg and cross the "Black Forrest" till Basel. It takes you 1 hour more, but much more curves and landscape. its worth!

Oh, and don't forget to say hello when coming through Hamburg! 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Funnily enough I have a trip planned in 4 weeks down to the south of spain :D Aiming to across the coast, down the west of France via Bordeaux, down to San Sebastien and then across to Valencia. :D Absolutely buzzing with the idea, and dreading the thought of a flat :D

4 weeks and counting for me too. A load of friends and I are doing a tour of Europe over 5 days.

Day 1 - Calais to Chamonix via Reims

Day 2 - Chamonix to Oberwald via Susten, Grimsel and Furka passes

Day 3 - Oberwald to Chur via Nufenen Pass, Lake Como and San Bernardino Pass

Day 4 - Chur to Dinant via Black Forest

Day 5 - Home

Should pass through 9 countries. Any recommendations on route would be greatly received. Also, happy for others to tag along (keep up ;) )

suggestion to Day 4: 

Nufenen: fully OK.

Lake Como: OK too (...you need nervs there...they come from left and right the "snailway")

dont take the San Bernardino, its... a bit anoing.  

a) the long way: follow lake Como to Chiavenna, then turn right via Maloya to the Engadin Valley, turn left via Julierpass towards Chur and abbreviate from Tiefencastel via Lenzerheide to Chur.

b) the shorter way: follow lake Como to Chiavenna, go straigth to Splügenpass (some really small adventuring tunnels...) and then to Chur. 

Depends on weather. If it fully rains the San Bernardino is ok, otherwise enjoy landscape and roads with my alternatives. a) is around 1 1/2 hours more than yours or b).

Beware of radarcontrol along Comolake: Italians need money!!

Edited by anubis1
  • Like 1

take a small detour to salzburg and go to bad aussee, lotus club austia, lovely people and a nice small lotus museum 

suggestion to Day 4: 

Nufenen: fully OK.

Lake Como: OK too (...you need nervs there...they come from left and right the "snailway")

dont take the San Bernardino, its... a bit anoing.  

a) the long way: follow lake Como to Chiavenna, then turn right via Maloya to the Engadin Valley, turn left via Julierpass towards Chur and abbreviate from Tiefencastel via Lenzerheide to Chur.

b) the shorter way: follow lake Como to Chiavenna, go straigth to Splügenpass (some really small adventuring tunnels...) and then to Chur. 

Depends on weather. If it fully rains the San Bernardino is ok, otherwise enjoy landscape and roads with my alternatives. a) is around 1 1/2 hours more than yours or b).

Beware of radarcontrol along Comolake: Italians need money!!

Cheers, I think we'll head up the Splugen Pass then as it looks spectacular. We might even pop to the top of San Bernardino pass as a little detour if we have time before heading on to Chur. Currently in Chamonix.

I put my own attendance on this tour in jeapordy as a couple of weeks ago I cracked 4 ribs and had my spleen removed after a bike accident. I think the Evora will be thrown around the Alps slightly more gently than planned.;)

All the best people don't have a spleen. Had mine removed 20 years ago! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That's interesting to know chap as the more I read/hear the more the paranoia sets in about how much of an issue living without it is. I would be good to have some real life experience/knowledge to get my head round it. Still got a lot of healing to go yet but had quite a few jabs to cover bugs/infections already.

We'll kick off with Lemans 24 then a little drive to Dijon for a couple of days now here Arras.

Great fun to drive .

post-4467-0-35842000-1434866237.jpg

post-4467-0-23890500-1434866282.jpg

post-4467-0-98487900-1434866319.jpg

I'll give you a call when you're back from hols Jimbo :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

We just got back to Edinburgh on Wednesday after 2500 miles in two weeks round Germany. Operation Elude.

Edinburgh,Newcastle ,Amsterdam ,Bremerhaven ,Kiel, Laboe,Peenemunde,Potsdam ,Gatow,Berlin ,Wolsburg,Panzer museum Munster (North) ,Mohne Dam ,Arnhem ,Amsterdam ,Newcastle ,Hethel, and home. Two Cars Exige S V6 and a Evora GTE.

Andrew

• Like 1

Sounds good Andrew,

Hear all about it in due course.  I'll PM you.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Off to Italy on Wednesday, first stop in Koblenz and then off to the Bugatti museum in Mulhouse. Followed by Grenoble and Nice. Will spend one week in Brescia and any suggestions on what to do in northern Italy is much appreciated. Ferrari museum is on the to-do list.

post-13648-0-76380700-1437845338.jpg

While attempting to drive along Route Napoleon today the GPS (Pioneer 920) decided to make a de-tour. Ended up on D20 for a while. Brilliant stretch of road, only two bikes and one motorbike during 20+ km of hairpins and passes (+1100 meters).

Currently resting by the beach in Nice, life is hard sometimes :-D

post-13648-0-44819900-1437845784.jpg

Think I might stay here for a while...

• Like 1

Highlight of today was road SP81 from Monno to Grosio, stunning piece of road with little traffic. Lowlight was Stelvio pass where I got hit by a bloody cyclist who payed more attention to the scenery than the road. If I hadn't alerted him by pressing the horn he would have ended up in my windscreen. Now he managed to almost pass me (I was close to standstill at the time), trashing the mirror and scratching front wing, door and rear wing. Bloody idiot!!!! I jumped out of the car for obvious reasons but he just took off with his friends in tights after shouting something in Italian. Very nice of him, leaving me with the damaged car and the bill - thank you very much!!!!

Next time I'll be back with a Humvee or Marouder and clear that bloody road from bikes!!! 

Great write-up Stefan. Missed this when you posted as I was on my way back from Denmark and driving through Northern Germany in the other direction. Did the trip with 4 in the Evora - three adults and a teenager. There's not much space for 4, but it can be done and is still fun we just have to stop every 2 to 3 hours to rotate the passengers...and amuse on-lookers.