free hit
counters
1983 Lotus Esprit Turbo - Citroen Transmission Output Shaft - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
viper2pt0

1983 Lotus Esprit Turbo - Citroen Transmission Output Shaft

Hi All,

This afternoon I was working on my rear inboard brakes.  In doing so, I found a large amount of play in my driver side output shaft.  It was very noticeable when grasping the rotor, and pushing / pulling.  There did not appear to be any in/out play, but plenty of up/down, forward/back.  I fear I'm in need of a bearing and seal replacement on this side.  I have a ton of questions about this; A) can it be done with the transmission remaining in the car or does it have to be pulled?  B) Anyone have any information on this and what all would be involved, step by step, etc?  This was my fathers car for many years, and I've recently taken ownership of it and am trying to go through everything.  Its low-milage (29,xxx original) but I know that the drain on the driver side output carrier has been leaking for quite some time.  I'm extremely nervous that this has just turned from a brake job into a very expensive fix; and my wife will not be at all happy.  Any information at all that could be provided will be extremely helpful.  Please let me know if any additional information is necessary and i'll get whatever is necessary. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would agree that the seals are probably shot. I can't imagine that the bearing is replaceable without splitting the box after removal, but I may be wrong.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/21390-gearbox-rebuild/?view=findpost&p=217053&hl=rebuilt

This is a terrific link for any transmission work, lots of pictures.

Mine is leaking a bit from the L/H output shaft, I have looked into what kind of work is involved and decided that I would wait...From what I gather, the final drive needs to come out to do the job, not your sunday afternoon job...

There's a lot to do to change the output shaft bearings....I would agree that Giorgio's gearbox stuff is a brilliant resource. It is something any reasonably competent person can tackle...not hugely expensive in parts...but loads of fun work!!! Start by taking the engine and gearbox out and splitting the two...loads of cleaning, get all the dirt off....then you can start on the gearbox. Needs ingenuity...take loads of photos, sketches, notes etc. With the lump out, it's a lot easier to do all the other things too!!

Mechanically it may appear not that difficult to replace the driveshaft bearings in-situ - simply remove the housing which holds the shaft & bearings then replace and refit - However, the drivehaft housings & gaskets form part of the critical crownwheel backlash and preload adjustments.    Therefore the box and bellhousing needs removing to do it properly, however its within the scope of a decent mechanic with relatively simple tools to do it at home.

NB -  Many years ago, before I read the manualy, I changed the driveshaft bearings on an S2 without any consideration of affecting backlash or preload and it was absolutely fine for many years after

I've just reread this and its not strictly correct - As long as you dont disturb the adjustment shims and you replace the old gasket with an original spec gasket, you wont affect the crown wheel pre load & backlash - So, yes, you can replace driveshaft bearings without gearbox removal or major disassembly. 

Edited by 910Esprit

All,

I ended up buying two rebuilt output housings from Harry Martens, and am in the process of replacing them without removing the engine or transmission.  As of last night I got both of the old housings out, and will begin fitting the new ones this week.  All in all, it was pretty easy, a little tedious, but nothing overtly difficult.  When I removed the LH housing, I found that the retaining nut that threads onto the driveshaft had come completely loose and was just bobbling around on the driveshaft.  That would explain the play and leak!

How many $$$ for the L/H assy?

Mesprit87, I don't want to speak on Harry's behalf, but I'm sure he'd give you a quote on what you need.  His site is http://www.ds-vitesse.com/en/and his contact info is on there.  He is also an active member of this forum.