free hit
counters
Mounting a GoPro? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

As suction mounts are largely banned on track days, how do others mount GoPro or similar cameras? Is it a case of buy a harness bar and bolt it to that, or is there a more cunning method?

Do Lotus actually do a harness bar for the standard Exige?

Thanks!

Neal.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Harness bar can be fitted in the V6 , it's just the same as fitted in the S2 and much better fitting the camera too.

Added bonus is it's much better having harnesses for track use  :thumbup:

I almost took the harness bar out of my old S2, to put in the V6, however one thing it does prevent you doing is to place the roof behind the seats, which you can just about do at a push without one fitted.

As I intend on touring mine, this was more important to me than harnesses for the occasional track day.

What I've done is simply stick a GoPro adhesive mount to the rear glass.behind the passenger seat. If you set it to narrow FOV, it frames up quite nicely.

I also have a mount under the dash, which I can use an extension arm to place one centrally in the screen for a more forward shot.  Ordinarily though this just holds my phone using a custom bracket I made.

In the S2, with plastic dash, I had one simply stuck on the dash, I'm not so keen on doing this on the S3's leather.

I currently use my harness bar clamp mount, formerly in residence on my S2's OEM harness bar, to clamp onto the upper portion of the passenger seat, near the inboard harness slot. Camera is a Flip Mino HD 2. I add a bit of foam pipe lagging to protect the seat from the clamp pressure. Works ok, with only slight shake, but just a temporary measure until i work out a permanent solution (be that biting the bullet and fitting a harness bar or moving to a helmet cam setup with a gopro).

Think you've seen my videos, Neal, otherwise search arunweb100 channel on Youtube.

I stick an adhesive mount on the glass (plastic) rear window, Narrow POV and spot focusing. When not on track i have one mounted on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror for when I don't want on board. I also place on on the rear bumper with an adhesive mount between the number plate lights, like to use the sound from that :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/T3Jn/videos

I stick an adhesive mount on the glass (plastic) rear window, Narrow POV and spot focusing. When not on track i have one mounted on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror for when I don't want on board. I also place on on the rear bumper with an adhesive mount between the number plate lights, like to use the sound from that :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/T3Jn/videos

I assume though that the mount becomes a permanent addition to your rear screen if it's secured with adhesive?

I currently use my harness bar clamp mount, formerly in residence on my S2's OEM harness bar, to clamp onto the upper portion of the passenger seat, near the inboard harness slot. Camera is a Flip Mino HD 2. I add a bit of foam pipe lagging to protect the seat from the clamp pressure. Works ok, with only slight shake, but just a temporary measure until i work out a permanent solution (be that biting the bullet and fitting a harness bar or moving to a helmet cam setup with a gopro).

Think you've seen my videos, Neal, otherwise search arunweb100 channel on Youtube.

I watched your video from Goodwood and thought it looked good, but don't like the idea of clamping to the seat as I would be paranoid about damaging the seat!

Permanent until i take it off :)

I assume though that the mount becomes a permanent addition to your rear screen if it's secured with adhesive?

Just the plastic "disc" bit. It's very discrete, and doesn't impede vision at all.   Just click in the  arm as required.  If you ever want to remove the disc, it should come off with the heat from a hairdryer.

• Like 2

Thanks, I think the adhesive mount sounds like the best solution. I don't really mind it being there semi-permanently as long as it's eventually removable. Do you have the GoPro mount or a different one?

I'll post a photo tomorrow when it's light. But yes basically all the kit that comes in the box is good enough.

The one thing I've changed is to use a "frame" mount.  This means you can charge whilst filming. My experience is batteries last less time than memory cards ;)

I've just done the same and got a frame mount to try this weekend to save battery swapping. I would say on a regular track day I'd get through 4 batteries if recording all track time and being careful to turn off each time. The GoPro 4 does not seem to last as long as the 3. A 64gb card lasts all day. Narrow POV uses less memory too.

Thanks chaps!

Any pictures of what you have would be welcome :)

My GoPro adhesive mount is just stuck 1/2 way between the seats and about 1/3 way up from the bottom of the rear window. Any higher and the rear view mirror really gets in the way of the shot.

Make sure you get it straight or it will do your nut (if you have OCD - like I and most Lotus owners seem to) as you can see it whenever you drive in the rear mirror.

That said I am probably going to take mine off and start using the suction mount, even though track days often say no, not ever seen a case when they actually stop you (had one on the windscreen at Spa the other day). Easy to tether if stuck to the rear window too.

Here's the bit you stick to the glass:

post-18903-0-31880000-1432152089.jpg

I'm still playing around here, it seems to work well, but I had the part off centre and rotated 90 degrees in my old car. This was slightly less obvious when no GoPro was mounted, but meant I needed one extra link to get the camera exactly where I wanted it.

Here's a GoPro in a "frame" mount:

post-18903-0-62282900-1432152095.jpg

The cable goes down to the cigarette lighter socket, which has a cheapo USB adapter plugged in.

HTH.

Is it possible to replace the interior light with some kind of diy mount? and use power in their to power the go pro?  wouldn't need anything stuck on the windscreen then?

I'm sure it would Tony, but fundamentally I'm too lazy :D

I'm 6'3" so I don't see the mount in the rear view mirror, it's black and the engine is black, so it sort of camouflages itself. One option would be to use blu-tack to try it first (once you start putting it on,  you won't easily get it off without stealing the wife's GHD 2000 UltraPower Maxx)  

Quick update, I just bought a proper dashcam, i.e. something you can just leave in the car, rather than something that screams "steal me" in the way a GoPro does.

I was hoping it might just save me (touch wood if I did have a bump on the road) + having it always record, you never know if you get a hidden gem of a picture / interesting car/ etc. without messing about taking it in and out of the car.

Complete with GPS unit for around £60 delivered from Amazon, and I'm actually amazed by the quality of the picture. OK it's not 4K, but is full HD and perfectly acceptable white balance /colour/ detail and the exposure compensation is very fast.

Taking the SD card out and putting it into my PC with "Registrator" and full map trails including speedo / speed plot played back almost instantly.

If you don't already have a GoPro, and just want something for remembering trackdays, it really does tick a lot of the boxes for a fraction of the cost. I'd be more than happy to use it exclusively if I just wanted a single view capture esp. as it has GPS logging. It also looks far neater, you can't see it at all tucked up behind the rear view mirror, and all the wires were really easy to hide.

The only question is how long it lasts, I know QC isn't as high, but a fairly cheap gamble.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Novatek-AR0330-Blueskysea-Happiness-Bracelets/dp/B00LTMN9LK

• Like 1

Are the Happiness Grass Ring Bracelets nice? :lol:

I gave them to one of the lovely ladies at work... she seemed pleased with the gift :D

For completeness, here are some pictures:

The camera permanently mounted in the screen. I think it's pretty neat and unobtrusive (you can't even see it or the wires from the drivers seat)

post-18903-0-49074600-1433930915.jpg

A screen grab of a free playback tool

post-18903-0-99843900-1433930915.png

• Like 1

I would say that if mounting between the seats it is worth extending the camera forward about 10cm. I've done this daisy chaining a few of the adapters together, and have now bought an extension bar (untested). With a medium POV and spot focusing I think this works better than flat against the glass straight in the mount. This is a video I did with that setup:

Again i am using the frame mount now.