free hit
counters
Elite/Eclat dampers - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

When I had my Elite refurbished, I was told that dampers were no longer available. This may be true for OE dampers, but I just found out that AVO do both adjustable fronts and rears - SF 314 and SF 315. See http://www.avouk.com/Downloads/AVO%20Application%20List%202015.pdf

Just in case anyone was looking!

ATB Richard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks, Richard for the list. Mine are original and I have been thinking of replacements.

cheers,

Richard

• Like 1

To save people needing to search:

Here is the price list for the Avo's:

http://www.avouk.com/Downloads/AVO%20UK%20LTD%202015%20Retail%20Price%20List.pdf

Gaz catalogue, Page 11:

http://issuu.com/edeuro/docs/gaz_2014_catalogue_issuu

And Spax:

http://www.spaxdirect.com/index.php?cPath=169

• Like 1

Well that's interesting folks. Looks like I was misinformed!!!

As your elite is an excel under the skin (which uses a different shock from the elite and eclat) the reference was probably that the original equipment Lotus excel damper is unavailable...which is true.

There are a few aftermarket alternatives however.

As your elite is an excel under the skin (which uses a different shock from the elite and eclat) the reference was probably that the original equipment Lotus excel damper is unavailable...which is true.

There are a few aftermarket alternatives however.

No, the comment relates to a discussion on whether to keep the original Elite chassis I'm afraid :mellow:

does anyone have any long term experience of the GAZ shocks. do they have a tendency to seize?

does anyone have any long term experience of the GAZ shocks. do they have a tendency to seize?

I bought Gaz shocks for the front of my Eclat. They were too short and rode on the bump stops. The shock was a standard shock with an extension to the rod for the top rubber mount. I couldnt get Gaz to take them back. Eventually ftted a set of Pro Tech from SJ Sportcars.

No issue with these.

I drive GAZ shocks on my M100 for over a year now with 15.000 km. Their handling is superb :)

@black Eclat: do you have lowered them that much or are these too short in any way?

I drive GAZ shocks on my M100 for over a year now with 15.000 km. Their handling is superb :)

@black Eclat: do you have lowered them that much or are these too short in any way?

With the Gaz shocks, I was at standard height. The Gaz were adjustable platforms but even with full adjustment, I was binding the coil spring with the car stationary. They were just the wrong ones.

The Pro Tech come with a removable platform, so I made a new platform to lower by 25mm. These units fitted without fuss. I guess Steve at SJ has sold enough at this stage to know what works.

:huh:

What was the exact reason then, that GAZ didn´t took them back?

I couldnt get them to agree that the shocks didnt fit. I received what was required for the car. After several weeks of cross sea phonecalls, I just gave up.

I couldnt get them to agree that the shocks didnt fit. I received what was required for the car. After several weeks of cross sea phonecalls, I just gave up.

Not a good report on GAZ.

I could send the local "boyos" round. (only joking).

In this case you do not need to get them to agree.

I have a particular hatred for suppliers that take such an attitude and it is quite common where they rely on the consumer giving up. By giving up you have played into their hands. Shame on you.

These firms do not deserve us as they completely disregard the Sale of Goods Act which is there to protect us.

If the shocks don't fit they are not fit for purpose and the consumer is entitled to a full refund and postage.  Including any return postage of the goods if that is what the consumer wishes to do.

I say this because under the Act they are responsible to organise and pay for collection if they want the goods back after a refund.

Also under the Act you have no obligation to return goods prior to a refund. All the consumer has to show is that the goods are not accceptable for what ever reason. Pictures etc.

Usually "shady" companies start by quoting return time limits, or 'we need your receipt', or we need the product returning for assessment. This is B******s.

Dig out that recept and tell them you want your money back. Meanwhile read up on the Sale of goods act it is very biased toward the consumer and they will know this if you quote the correct phrases.

• Like 1

Well, feedback on forums like this is where the consumer really flexes his power. Are any of us likely to buy from Gaz given their treatment of Michael?

It is not the first story I have read of them supplying the wrong items for elites and eclats. Someone else wrote a similar story.

I just finished fitting Spax to the rear of my V8. Good price, excellent service and the car drives much better.

Big thumbs up for Spax direct and a recomendation from me.

Just got back from a Car Limits driver training day at North Weald airport.

The new rear suspension behaved impeccably - however the front suspension developed a twisted/sagged spring, meaning I had to cut the day short at lunchtime. :-(

new bits on order from SJ's and a set of spax adjustables to go on the front.

Well, feedback on forums like this is where the consumer really flexes his power. Are any of us likely to buy from Gaz given their treatment of Michael?

It is not the first story I have read of them supplying the wrong items for elites and eclats. Someone else wrote a similar story.

I just finished fitting Spax to the rear of my V8. Good price, excellent service and the car drives much better.

Big thumbs up for Spax direct and a recomendation from me.

I got the wrong shocks from gaz and they were great at refund and exchange. They sent a courier to pick up the wrong ones too. Whilst I should not have got the wrong ones to start with it was resolved very quickly and with no fuss.

Mike: do you then get a different set from GAZ or did you choose an alternative?

Dunc: it also reported on many boards that Spax are very hard dampening and uncomfortable to drive. There were also quality issues. How does yours feel in these aspects to you?

Edited by Don.Hasi

I got the wrong shocks from gaz and they were great at refund and exchange. They sent a courier to pick up the wrong ones too. Whilst I should not have got the wrong ones to start with it was resolved very quickly and with no fuss.

Now here we have two Mikes with two reports of GAZ at different ends of the spectrum.

I think that Black Eclat just got someone that was a Jobs worth.

Maybe worth another try.

Mike: do you then get a different set from GAZ or did you choose an alternative?

Dunc: it also reported on many boards that Spax are very hard dampening and uncomfortable to drive. There were also quality issues. How does yours feel in these aspects to you?

The problem i had was that the front shocks had the spring platform welded too high up. They admitted the welder hadn't followed the drawing so I ended up with the shocks I asked for originally.

It is early days for me on the spax, but they are adjustable (14 different settings). I have started at click 7 as Middle point. I do quite like my damping to be firm and previously preferred my koni's adjusor turned up to max firmness on my Alfa.

I think the optimum damping depends on the spring rate which will vary by car. It certainly varies between éclat and excel so I would not be put off from fitting spax from another's poor experience on an excel.

Quality seems ok so far, but they have only been on for a week. Conversely I have heard reports of gaz being poor quality and sticking/seizing when still quite young.

When I had my Elite refurbished, I was told that dampers were no longer available. This may be true for OE dampers, but I just found out that AVO do both adjustable fronts and rears - SF 314 and SF 315. See http://www.avouk.com/Downloads/AVO%20Application%20List%202015.pdf

Just in case anyone was looking!

ATB Richard

And AVO were/are? very good at doing 'specials' , whether it be just extending or changing mounting arrangements of a standard one, to a fully fledged custom build. I've been running AVO for years, although not std Lotus types, and have had them rebuilt by AVO too once or twice. Their knowledge and service I always found to be very good.

The problem i had was that the front shocks had the spring platform welded too high up. They admitted the welder hadn't followed the drawing so I ended up with the shocks I asked for originally.

That is exactly what is wrong with my set.

if it were a supplier or agent here in Ireland that I was dealing with, I would not have given up but with a few hundred miles and a very disconnected postal service between us, I decided to give up and sort them myself.

In the meantime, I bought a set of Pro Techs from SJ and machined up new platforms to allow me to lower the car, which is why I bought the GAZ units in the first place.

As usual, they sit on the shelf awaiting my attention . . . .  such is the performance of the SJ units.

Michael

When did you buy these shocks from gaz

Edited by mikeeech