free hit
counters
Ground wires: what diameter? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Ground wires: what diameter?

Looking at replacing the two ground wires on my Eclat (the one from the battery and the one from the engine), as the latter is looking like it's seen better days.  Was wondering what thickness of wire I'd need for this though.  4AWG / 5.19mm diameter wire and 8AWG / 3.25mm wires seem to be the favoured thicknesses.

I'm guessing that 8AWG would be all I'd need as the Eclat is hardly full to the brim with electronics, but what does everyone think?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The thicker the better as far as grounds are concerned.

If you go too small you risk the wire heating up which will increase its resistance and lower your electrical efficiency.

I took this to the extreme and made all my power connections from 1AWG oxygen free copper, gold coneectors and silver soldered.  All of the power terminals aresecured with Brass bolts and nuts (I would have use copper screws but couldn't find any in the right size.

You cannot underestimate the importance of a clean ground and efficient electrics. 

Dr Christoper Jacobs says in his book, "guide to optimizing your ignition" that nearly all electrical problems stem mainly from bad grounds so I rewired all of my grounds with fairly large but flexible braided ground straps including the battery, gas tank and engine to the frame. 

And since my battery is in the trunk, for my Elite, I ran a new 00 heavy copper cable which eliminates any measurable voltage drop to the front fuse panel. 

cheers,

Richard

This is what lies under Ethel for the grounding cables. Audio grade cables beefy enough to run a 17 year old saxo owning wannabe gangsters head unit, Amps and speakers at maximum output all day.

It is basically competition grade cable for high power audio contests (150+ db) I have some left over which I am making into ground leads for a few people.

post-17906-0-17534400-1432224363.jpg

Looking at replacing the two ground wires on my Eclat (the one from the battery and the one from the engine), as the latter is looking like it's seen better days.  Was wondering what thickness of wire I'd need for this though.  4AWG / 5.19mm diameter wire and 8AWG / 3.25mm wires seem to be the favoured thicknesses.

I'm guessing that 8AWG would be all I'd need as the Eclat is hardly full to the brim with electronics, but what does everyone think?

The ground for the engine is also used by the startermotor, so make sure it is up to the task. Even if the rest of the engine/car requires little current.