free hit
counters
Downshifting... - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'll start this by saying i am NOT a skilled driver that can heel and toe, or drift like Vin Diesel, but like everyone here I like to go fast [legally of course :whistle:], and i love a manual shift.

Last car was a BMW E92 M3 and when out for a blast, i loved blipping the throttle on downshifts (when it works you feel like a legend, but probably got it right 50% of the time).

My Evora S has been with me a couple of months now, and i just CANNOT get a decent downshift out of it, anyone else find this? -it feels like the throttle either does nothing, or completely over revs, very little in between. Maybe there is a sweetspot and it just takes practice. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Without wanting to sound like I'm starting the obvious, are you completely removing your foot from the throttle before you depress the clutch?

Yes, release throttle, clutch down, attempt blip same time as i'm changing from say, 6th to first  [ha, only joking!], then clutch up and gun it sideways past the rozzers like a legend.

The reality is a bit different. The car drives perfect in every way so think this points to a problem with the soft bit on the end of the gearstick. 

Must practice more i guess.

I am the same.

I could "blip" the throttle fine on my VX220 (also FBW) but the Evora just seems slow to react on blipping for a downshift.

Have you tried practicing Clutchless shifts?

Does involve a lot of practice, but on Down shifts you are forced to blip the engine to get the Revs/Gear match up. Makes for smoother shifts and with a bit practice can mean that apart from starting in first gear, you never have to use the clutch. Which given the stated replacement point for Evora clutches is probably a good thing...

For down shifts I have noticed on my NA unless you are in Sport Mode the revs don't instantly climb. Which is causing me a bit of challenge and missed shifts at the moment. Upshifts are a lot easier, just about got those suss'd now.

Still practice makes perfect. Or a knackered gear box I suppose. :-/

Tris...

Tris...

Got the last software update?

Works ok in mine but the software does prevent double blipping when on the brake.

Response is obviously better in sport due to the calibration. I do wish it was direct calibration or not DBW but this is the way things are :/

series_one; I think youre referring to the IPS, which autoblips for you :) This is regarding the manual. 

I must confess, I have the same issue with mine. IMO it just doesnt seem to work :D Good excuse to just live in 3rd gear. :P

Glad i'm not the only one at least. Would be interesting to hear from Lotus if this is something the test drivers etc. are aware of. Presumably it may be the same with the other v6 models?

I have no issues like this. I admit that I rev match or heel and toe if I need to brake too. It is easier in sport mode as the blip is faster.

For heel and toe it's the easiest car I have ever had.

Well mine is fine for blips  - especially good in sport mode.  No issue either when hard on the brakes and doing H/T - works just as it should, in fact I think it is very easy in the Evora, and would certainly spoil some of the enjoyment if I couldn't do this. 

Stick with it. The Evora will do it and if you are pushing on heal and toe makes the braking much smoother.

As the other say easier in sports mode.

If you do it on every gear change it just gets natural.

C

Yes, on every gear change it becomes automatic.

I just test drove a pdk Cayman GTS and I was trying to heel and toe that!  I had to force myself not to do it. 

ps.  PDK box is intoxicating

Sport button on and make sure you blip properly and ensure the revs are up on the down shifts.

On motorway 5th to 4th doing slightly above the speed limit ish

Heel and toe can be a misleading name. I use the ball of my foot on the brake and the edge of it to blip.

• Like 2

When you guys say 'blip' I assume you mean you depress the throttle slightly to raise the revs?

Can't edit my post. Saw a few clips on you tube for 'heel and toe' not sure I understand the advantage of the blip? Can someone help out a muppet and explain?

Stu

Stu;

When changing down a gear, the clutch plate has to match the flywheel; when the RPM are significantly high, this can create a jarring/slipping of the wheels. It's both better for performance reasons, but also for clutch life is you 'match RPM' during your shift.

I dont heel and toe, as I find it somewhat difficult in the Evora, but I do blip the throttle. Simply put when you put the clutch in, 'blip' the throttle to bring the revs up as you move the gearstick, and then release the clutch (NOTE: Not whilst you blip). In essence, the aim is to bring the RPM up to match the lower gear. It means the clutch has to do less of the matching for you, resulting in longer clutch life,smoother gear changes, and better performance due to the backwheels not lurching.

But i'm merely a novice. Someone will no doubt be more accurate in their description :) 

• Like 1

With high power rwd cars like my Tuscan rev matching was always a good idea. Changing down without doing it can effectively lock the rear wheels causing a spin.

On motorbikes there are slipper clitches to stop wheels locking up. Obviously the evora has no equivelant?

Stu

Motorbike-only thing I believe.

Oh ok. Sorry to go on. So in an auto (including the lotus ips) the electronics do the blip to rev match for the driver?

Stu

Oh ok. Sorry to go on. So in an auto (including the lotus ips) the electronics do the blip to rev match for the driver?

Yup.

I suspect that this might just be for aural effect (ie it sounds cool).

I can't see a reason why a torque convertor auto would need to rev match. It doesn't have a clutch!

But the power to the wheels would still be interrupted due to the shift in gears. That's what blipping does; matches the power output to the wheels. But I could be wrong..