free hit
counters
Rear pad wear on track - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

After the Exige was in for some warranty work last month ,I was a bit surprised to see the courtesy health check reported the brake pad wear as 40% front and 60% rear. Expecting it to be the other way round, I had a quick poke around and confirmed the rears look well past their best in terms of overall meat left.

The car is just shy of 3000miles and in that time has completed 3 track days. I assume the aggrevated rear pad wear is a result of the electronic differential lock (EDL) function, by which the ABS module applies braking to the inside wheel. The car does work hard when I'm on track, so I wouldn't be surprised if the EDL is doing a far bit of work through corners. One of these trackdays was full-on wet, which I could imagine would have definitely given the EDL a lot more to react to.

Worth noting, the car pretty much lives in the Sport DPM mode on road and track, and searching the handbook, I couldn't find any reference to how (if at all) the EDL function changes in severity according to what mode the DPM is. 

Has any trackday regulars experienced similar wear at the rear or can offer any insight as to whether my diff lock theory is sound, and If so, does switching to Race or DPM Off change how aggressive this function is?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you doing DN in July then? We have just changed brakes all round. I was on 80% wear on the rear before good track day at Anglesey, was a bit concerned they would not last the day, but we're fine

Carbon Lorraine pads are not very good for UK drivers who use their cars on the road. In fact, they fall apart quite often so I'd be very wary of them, depending on your usage. Fine on track only cars

Hey Arun. Sport Mode. Especially on a full wet day. I think 1/2 the problem is you don't really know it is doing the work at the rear. On the Elise you can hear it. Considering you're quicker than I on track by a margin I expect it is doing a lot more work for you. I am only using race now because of this.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Thanks chaps.

Interestingly, it's the left rear pads that are looking more tired of the two sides, thpugh I would agree that as an average, 60% worn is accurate across both sides. I would have thought with most of my track work on clockwise circuits (Goodwood on 2 out of 3 days) that the right rear pads would take the brunt, being the inside wheel for the majority of corners, which the EDL would seek to quell when threatening to spin up.

So you saw exactly the same, Tom, and this has stopped since moving to Race mode?

Pondering getting them changed before two solid days at the Ring in July, wanting to make sure I finish the event with some rear brakes left!

Are you doing DN in July then?

We have just changed brakes all round. I was on 80% wear on the rear before good track day at Anglesey, was a bit concerned they would not last the day, but we're fine - I was in race all day.

Pretty sure sport mode boiled the brake fluid during a very wet day at Spa.

I have not seen the wear you are reporting, however I really don't think I was pushing anywhere near the limits, switching to race and having a bit of faith in it showed how much more traction was available before the toys kicked in. Pretty sure if I went back now they will get destroyed.

I was warned when I got the car that sport causes excessive brake wear.

• Like 1

Thank you Tom. I'll let you know how I get on.

Yes, doing DN12 with Ayesha in her Evo as well. Can't wait, just have the small matter of moving house between now and then :)

Edited by Arun_D

You are taking the V6 too?

We are going for day 2, travelling out on the Wednesday, then onto Spa for the 24h race and a track day on the 27th. I thought 2 days at the ring may be a bit much. Going to be a bit of a swan song for the LF1 from a tracking point of view.

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys,

its an old thread: but as I am startibg my track day life, it would be interesting for me to hear what you now ended up using on a dry / wet track? Sport/Race or Off? Corsa or Trofeo? 

Has anybody changed to racing pads? I am thinking about Pagid Racing Pads...

Thanks

Norbert

Carbon Lorraine pads are not very good for UK drivers who use their cars on the road. In fact, they fall apart quite often so I'd be very wary of them, depending on your usage. Fine on track only cars, but then they so state on the box that they're for track only.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've done a fair few track days in mine with OEM pads, tried alternates, they fell apart, have returned to OEM. Can't say someone new to track days will find them insufficient I certainly don't - it sill amazes me the stopping power of the V6.

The Exige V6 is "over braked" out of the box.

After a few track days and you get confidence and decide you will be doing a lot more consider upgrading to high boiling point brake fluid. Especially if you plan on using Sport/Race modes in the wet.

Nah... You can always do with more braking power ;)

I'm currently running Performance Friction (albeit as part of the Komotec kobra 4 kit) and been very very happy.

www.alias23.com

Already did the upgrade Castrol SRF ... just to be safe... learnt that from TLF ;-) Breaking power was great on OEMs ... no complaints at all ... also wear wasn't to bad at all...

I think I will follow your recommendation Tom, and just stick with OEM for a while and go from there... just wanted to get a feel for what you guys are doing and not do something stupid ;-) 

• 2 months later...

So I will share with you my experience after 3 tracks days and more than 5000km.

I visually check the car after each trackday, and the brake pad wear is also most important for the rear (and seems to be more important on left side). I drive in sport and race mode.

The brake fluid level seems to change quite "quickly", this is the difference before and after a trackday :

before : https://postimg.org/image/sspf0bhg1/

after : https://postimg.org/image/4nopilx5d/

Very similar to my experience ... the one sided more extensive rear wear probably is from using sport or race mode ... does anybody know if there is a huge difference in break pad wear between race and sport? or only if you turn it all off?

Be careful in the wet with sport ...

after my last track session, thursday, the rear pads are nearly done. So I will change al least rear pads (don't know if it's better to change all at the same time) next week and ask for castrol srf brake fluid.

next step now is to drive in "off" mode :lol:

From the service notes, I didn't find any difference concerning brakes between the 350 and the previous V6 S model.  So I think this reference https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=1&MDL=40&TBL=6248&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=247214 is always "up-to-date" for the sport 350 with ap racing caliper. Maybe I will try myself to change the pads, so I'm looking for the correct product :)

Edited by geartox
On 12/07/2016 at 21:09, geartox said:

From the service notes, I didn't find any difference concerning brakes between the 350 and the previous V6 S model.  So I think this reference https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=1&MDL=40&TBL=6248&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=247214 is always "up-to-date" for the sport 350 with ap racing caliper. Maybe I will try myself to change the pads, so I'm looking for the correct product :)

Changing the pads (and discs for that matter) is so quick and easy, it's silly paying someone else to do it, unless you really don't like getting your hands dirty. I am also now running Performance Friction 08 pads and I like them better than the Pagid RS14's - which in my hands at least (or foot!) get seriously grumbly when very hot, especially on the cross-drilled discs, and you have to really watch for uneven transfer. I'd love to try RS29's on the Exige - my old favourite, but it has to be said I used them on much heavier machinery in the past so I'm not sure how their characteristics would translate to a relatively light car. I also didn't realise until reading this thread that they were available for the V6. How are they stacking up Martin?

Good info, Dean. I'll be looking to switch to PF08s once my standard pads are shot.

Probably worth mentioning, since I was the OP of this thread, that I've covered more miles and double the trackdays in my Cup that I had on my V6S at the time I wrote this thread last year, and I don't have the same concern with rapid rear pad wear on my Cup. It was simply lots of rear pad feathering in Sport mode, as we thought.

On 7/2/2016 at 20:34, NW76 said:

Very similar to my experience ... the one sided more extensive rear wear probably is from using sport or race mode ... does anybody know if there is a huge difference in break pad wear between race and sport? or only if you turn it all off?

Be careful in the wet with sport ...

Just thought that if you are tracking the car then racing circuits go clockwise mostly, so one side of the rear brakes might take a bit more hammering due to preventing wheelspin maybe on the inside tyre.

I guess the higher grip levels of the Cup (tyres, geo, springs/dampers, less mass) ultimately mean less reliance on intervention from electrickery.

The PF08's came recommended by a chap who runs 6 or 7 Exige's in the Lotus Cup -  he was a couple of garages down from me last time I was at Donington. Having just done a quick search based on my sketchy memory of the company name, I believe it was Track-Group.