free hit
counters
Lotus Carlton/Omega AC Compressor - Carlton / Cortina / Sunbeam - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LotusX180R

Lotus Carlton/Omega AC Compressor

So I bought a Lotus Omega and need to get the AC running.  The system is charged but still doesn't blow cold.  I think the problem is the compressor.  As far as I can tell the compressor is a standard GM Europe unit not specific to the Lotus version and originally fit to the Omega A , but not the subsequent Omega B platforms.  The newer models are fairly easy to find on internet sales sites, but older units are proving harder to source.

The Unit has a GM logo on it but is branded Harrison and has model number 1135046

Any assistance in finding a source for replacement would be appreciated.

Kyle Kaulback

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am surprised a good AC shop is not able to recommend a replacement unit?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

from the UK, a replacement seems easy enough.

http://www.automotive-air-conditioning-vehicle-parts.com/air-conditioning-compressors-results.aspx?models-for=VAUXHALL&Model=CARLTON&part=Compressors

I would have thought it was a Harrison V5, as my HSV Holden of a similar era uses one of them and it shares a large number of parts with the Carlton/Senator/Omega A.

Do a google search on Harrison V5, and see if the pictures look the same. If it is, then that compressor was fitted to LOADS of cars, including US ones. I think the corvette used a V5.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPRESSOR-Air-Con-Senator-B-Carlton-C26NE-C30NE-C30SE-GM-1135046-1135343-/361249280079

looks to be a variant of a Harrison V5, in which case I'd check that the clutch is engaging drive when it gets voltage (you will hear the engine note drop slightly when you switch it on). If not check the fuses and wiring. I'm pretty certain the clutch can be removed from the front of the unit without depressurising the system to remove the compressor.

Any decent aircon shop should be able to rebuild/replace a harrison V5.

There's a good download on the AutobahnStormers forum for A/C overhaul (you have to be a member and registered to the forum). However, that also recommends sending the Harrison V5 compressor away for overhaul if bust. Don't forget the system was originally R12, so needs to be converted to R134a nowadays. Mine wasn't.