free hit
counters
clutch spinning in 4th/5th/6th - any ideas - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

clutch spinning in 4th/5th/6th - any ideas

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its been a long time, but the stormtrooper finally came home last weekend complete with new gearbox. If anyone unlucky enough to get the same symptoms alas the gearbox is shot. New clutch done at the

Sorry for the delayed reply to these posts...busy at work, no time to play... Trevor, the labour cost is essentially little more than changing the clutch so as well documented its between £2.5-£3

Hi Paul,

:thumbdown:  Bummer eh? Are you willing to share costs as it was well out of warranty being a LE - Even my present one is well past warranty!  Always a worry along with the clutch - not that it changes anything I do with it and never had one let go on a car yet.

Are you getting the clutch changed at the same time while box is off along with all that entails and as the car is 5+ years old?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

• 3 months later...

Its been a long time, but the stormtrooper finally came home last weekend complete with new gearbox.

If anyone unlucky enough to get the same symptoms alas the gearbox is shot.

New clutch done at the same time and the old one was well towards the end of its life apparently.

Nice to be back, just in time for winter...

• Like 1

construction and property consultants : My company

Hi Paul,

giod news you've got the car back and able to enjoy again. Care to share any details on n costs and what goes wrong?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Did they also give you any idea as to what went on with it?

Also, how come the clutch was nearly at it's life after a relatively short time?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2015‎ ‎20‎:‎13‎:‎20, Trevsked said:

Hi Paul,

giod news you've got the car back and able to enjoy again. Care to share any details on n costs and what goes wrong?

Trevor.

Sorry for the delayed reply to these posts...busy at work, no time to play...

Trevor, the labour cost is essentially little more than changing the clutch so as well documented its between £2.5-£3k depending on where you go (I had all the work done at Silverstone who were great as usual).

As far as the gearbox goes, after some negotiation Lotus factory stepped in and agreed to provide a replacement gearbox at a very good deal. Prefer not to publicise exact details but I can confirm Lotus were excellent and deserve a big thanks.

Whilst the car is over 5 yrs old now, the mileage is under 25k and one owner so I suspect that may have helped sway their judgement.

Ramjet:

no idea what was wrong with it - part of the agreement of Lotus supplying a replacement was that they got to take the old one away, presumably to strip it and learn.

In terms of cutch wear, I can only assume I have a heavy left foot ?

all good so far since getting it back. 

• Like 1

construction and property consultants : My company

• 7 months later...

H all,

New on this Forum I will soon present myself on the Forum.

I bought an evora a few month ago, 18 000 km, now at 22 000, the gear box just broke, the same problem exactly.

Like new car, never raced or abused, still the originals tyre and brakes on it ....

Nothing on the 4th and 5th gear excepted a big grinding noise.

The engine is actually removed, and gearbox must l be repaired...

I contacted Lotus, I'm waiting to know if they will help me with this issu at only 14 000 miles !!!!

The said it's not a design problem, like if I was the first one with this issue.

I planned to buy a Evora 400 then ... But ... If they do nothing, I can'at accept to buy a 100 00 K€ euro car for only 14 000 miles lifespan !!!

Sure we could do something against Lotus, the problem is well known, and most of these cars will break soon as they arrive in the 15 000 to 25 000 miles range ....

The thing is it take 30 hours to remove the gearbox ( 30 x 120 € ) so arround 3600, then the gearbox is arround 7 500 K€ .... !!!!

I will get you in touch in the forum to inform what happened.

If you had the same issue, let me your contacts in case i decide to go with a layer, sure we could obtain something.

Regards

@bernico 19s

I don't think there's been any mention of the transmissions not lasting over 14k miles. I'm fairly certain there's an individual on LT that has over 60k miles without any tranny issues (and original clutch too, iirc). 

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say maybe your synchros have failed. You shouldn't need a whole new transmission, unless it some how grenaded itself from loose bits flying around. 

27 minutes ago, bernico 19s said:

and most of these cars will break soon as they arrive in the 15 000 to 25 000 miles range ....

That's very unusual mate, certainly this doesn't happen to 'most' cars...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

10 hours ago, bernico 19s said:

H all,

New on this Forum I will soon present myself on the Forum.

I bought an evora a few month ago, 18 000 km, now at 22 000, the gear box just broke, the same problem exactly.

Like new car, never raced or abused, still the originals tyre and brakes on it ....

Nothing on the 4th and 5th gear excepted a big grinding noise.

The engine is actually removed, and gearbox must l be repaired...

I contacted Lotus, I'm waiting to know if they will help me with this issu at only 14 000 miles !!!!

The said it's not a design problem, like if I was the first one with this issue.

I planned to buy a Evora 400 then ... But ... If they do nothing, I can'at accept to buy a 100 00 K€ euro car for only 14 000 miles lifespan !!!

Sure we could do something against Lotus, the problem is well known, and most of these cars will break soon as they arrive in the 15 000 to 25 000 miles range ....

The thing is it take 30 hours to remove the gearbox ( 30 x 120 € ) so arround 3600, then the gearbox is arround 7 500 K€ .... !!!!

I will get you in touch in the forum to inform what happened.

If you had the same issue, let me your contacts in case i decide to go with a layer, sure we could obtain something.

Regards

Some early cars had assembly issues regarding the clutch (alignment, bad greasing) that lead to increased wear, leading to early clutch replacements.

Some have also reported the issue you are citing and there was quite some discussion on the German forum on this. Fortunately, JUBU Performance has a repair kit that has been highly praised: http://www.jubu-performance.com/de/lotus/evora/kompressor/getriebe__differentiale-205.

I also believe, the issue has been fixed since 2013, when Lotus changed the gears in the gearbox.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!