free hit
counters
Lotus F1 Team to be renamed Renault F1 Team next year. - Page 2 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus F1 Team to be renamed Renault F1 Team next year.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sort of wondering if Renault is going to pull a Fitzpatrick on this one... Wait till the season ends... Have the team go bankrupt and just purchase all assets pertaining to the team. Right now they would be buying a team with a huge debt. The team is capable but I don't think Renault's CEO is really willing to just foot all of the team's debt.

I see the Force india approach just as a ploy to bring the price all the way down to a single $, with the guarantee that the team is debt free. 

Well it seems like it is almost done and yes... the team will pretty much for itself... 7.5M GBP this year and then and then 6,5GBP per year for ten years... Renault is pretty much paying nothing of their own pocket as they will do what it takes to take the team as far high in the hierarchy as they can so that prize money will pay for the purchase. Renault opting for a Mercedes like ownership structure is the interesting bit here...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120532

Now lets see how Redbull and Toro Rosso are going to get themselves out of their deals. STR may decide to stay put but RBR will not stay.As for the team drivers, Romain Grosjean is very likely to stay with Total stepping in as a major technical partner and official sponsor.... While PDVSA will probably have to go elsewhere to get exposure, which means Pastor should probably start looking for a team to fall back on ... Haas F1 should consider him, Manor too.

As for our beloved brand, I believe it will probably get them to do more on the marketing side of things and the motorsport scene. 

Edited by NedaSay

• 3 weeks later...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Always was a travesty. "Lotus" in F1 ought to be more than a branding exercise.

absolutely.

personally never felt it was honest or pure.

watching Maldonado fuc£ it up all the time in Lotus colours irritates me. if Colin was alive and team principle do we honestly think Maldanado would still have a seat?

I want to believe that this is for the greater good of Group Lotus.  The company never had any leverage as to what the franchisee were doing with the brand.

Any benefit from having the brand in F1 was always very hollow, a few cars sold in black and gold, no hybridation of Enstone and Hethel, no transfer of technology or technical partnership as Hethel is already pretty solid in terms of composite, has different engine partner and suppliers...

Good riddance to the Enstone crew they deserve to have a shareholder that can put them back in contention for world titles.

I'm curious about the line up, as Maldonado is set to stay thanks to his PDVSA money and Grosjean appears set to switch over to HAAS, while he's Total frontman and Total is Renault lubricant partner. I guess Total could make a minor appearance at HAAS, which will probably have black and red car or white and red cars.

Signature of a letter of intent between Renault Group and Gravity Motorsports S.A.R.L

Monday 28th September
Renault Group and Gravity Motorsports S.a.r.l., an affiliate of Genii Capital SA, are pleased to announce the signature of a Letter of Intent regarding the potential acquisition by Renault of a controlling stake in Lotus F1 Team Ltd.

The signature of this Letter of Intent marks Renault’s first step towards the project of a Renault Formula 1 team from the 2016 racing season thereby extending 38 years of commitment of the brand to world’s premier motorsport championship series.

Renault Group and Gravity will work together in the coming weeks to eventually turn this initial undertaking into a definitive transaction provided all terms and conditions are met between them and other interested parties.

Evora NA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I believe it is going through, it just takes time to do the deal, sort out the debt, etc.

As for Renault engines - who knows. Latest talk is that Red Bull might not ditch Renault for next year - I suspect for two reasons, first due to cost of leaving th contract early and second due to the fact no other engine manufacturer is keen to supply them - can't think why ;)

I may be at an F1 drinks bash in London tonight for an Abu Dhabi preview - who knows what one might here....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Its interesting that the letter of intent mentions a "Controlling Stake". Thats not what one would expect because if the team remains as it is, but just a partial change of ownership, all the debts would still be payable, as opposed to going insolvent and selling on a "fixtures and fittings" basis.

It is theoretically possible it could still be called Lotus F1, at least for a while.

Yes I thought Renault were letting it go belly up  so they could buy it cheaper. Sorry state of affairs, I understand Genii Capital stopped putting money into the team some time ago. Incredible really that they are still able to spank McLaren's backside on a shoe-string. I'm surprised Grosjean isn't staying too but I guess a firm offer is worth a lot more than a maybe.

Renault won't let it go bankrupt I guess, as this means all (good) workforce must be released from their contracts and can leave at will.
Unless of course they are trying to make deals now, with those people they want to keep of course...

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

• Gold FFM

Nah, with Red Bull throwing their toys out of the pram and probably leaving to go an focus on boats and pedal powered soap box cars there'll be a glut of good people for Renault to scoop up, probably at a discount too.

Wouldn't it be really ironic if Red Bull get a great engine for next year, only to be trumped by the Renault team with Renault engines. Wonder what Horner's excuses will be then?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

If Red Bull gets an engine, my guess would be that it won't be badged as a Renault and Renault will pretend it's not theirs, it won't be tagged with a brand from the Renault Group, but with something completely different.
Red Bull won't leave F1 of that I'm very confident. ;-)

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

• Gold FFM

Ah, so they could become the Red Bull Dacia Sportser Racing team then?  Seems probable as it looks as though they've already started work on the aero package in advance of 2016.

dacia.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So another story about Lotus F1 team not paying bills, locked out of their garages in Brazil until an invoice was paid by "someone". I have to question whether all these financial issues for the F1 team will impact perception people have of the Lotus Car brand, we all know there is no real relationship, but I would have thought this can't be good for the car brand? It's been going on for the last few years one way or another. To the casual observer I can't see how the Lotus F1 team would be seen as having any different relationship to the car brand than Ferrari and McLaren.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Sadly Lotus has been a tarnished brand for a great part of its existence. They slowly managed to throw off the "kit car" perception and continual attacks by Clarkson regards "plastic cars" and initially the F1 association was positive and resulted in the opening of the "brand store" in Regent St (which presumably closed some time ago) but now that has fallen through they are back to square one again. What would have been good would be some mention by the BBC and SKY commentators that there was only a marketing link but unfortunately no mention at all.

Its a British thing. There is a prejudice against our own. Another example of this is the way in which the BBC continually call the Mercedes a "German Car" despite the team being based in the UK and the engine produced by a UK company (Ilmor) which was simply bought out by Mercedes. Most of the components such as ERS system and gearbox are also British designed and manufactured.

When it comes to performance then you have to take the ups with the downs, they had a great season a couple of years ago (which I now realise coincided with me buying my first Lotus - subconscious marketing working on me??) and a race my LF1 relates to (ironically looking like the last Lotus victory). The bad performance last year (and maybe this) fair enough (McLaren this year in the same boat), you would not necessarily relate to road cars. But when it comes to all the stories about bad debts, creditors, etc that's the brand not the implementation.

It seems to me that Renault are keeping their name clear while all this is going on (and probably the people doing the bailouts as necessary). Would have thought it would be better for "our" Lotus brand to have their name removed from the team now? Just a thought.

Either way, I'll be sad to seem them go, even if it's just been a marketing tool this last few years.

• Gold FFM

I also think it is nad for the brand. Forget the joke that is F1. Get into profit then go to WEC which is more relevant for road cars anyway. Big brother Evora team and little Bother Exige team at Le Mans?

• Like 1

I don't think being in F1 is bad for the brand, even if they are not on the top spot, it's just the financial side I think is disastrous. Considering the endless stories of the completely unrelated car manufacturer being on the knife edge all the time financially it would not be hard to put the two together cause the unaware to dismiss the brand without further investigation. Anyhow - this has probably all been said and discussed before, I'm just late to the party.

We're probably going to disagree on this one too, but for me Lotus is F1, and TBH it's the only motorsport I watch. I agree it would be nice to see the actual brand competing with their cars so endurance is probably more appropriate.

Pretty sure the Exige team would thrash the Evora lot anyway, maybe you have big and little brother the wrong way round ;)

• Gold FFM

I watch F1 too, but increasingly being drawn to the WEC and the Blancpain series - great racing and cars you can recognise (just!) etc.

As for the big brother, little brother - nope - The Evora is the bigger car for Lotus so needs to compete with the AM Vantage V12 and V8, Audi R8, 911's, McLaren MP4s, etc. as these are the owners Lotus needs a top end car to appeal to. So a 600 bhp Gt1/ (more likley though a GT2) Evora would be extreme and ideal. A 450/500bhp Exige in GT3/GTN or similar would be cool. Lotus needs the Evora to sell and at a bigger profit margin, so needs to position it correctly. And it may even attract some "gentleman" owner/racers too.

Branding works - look at the Exige LF1's and the links to the F1 victories - hugely succesful. So start afresh in a new era and go for sportscars wins.  Even Ford is coming back, and from what I have seen of the new GT it is going to be a cracker.

F1 has been good to Lotus and otus has been good to F1 - the current situation is just a loody joke with the Lotus name being run down every time the news story breaks. It should be the "Enstone F1" team  or "Genii F1" team in trouble, but is always reported as Lotus and therefore 95% of the ill informed public will think Lotus is disappearing up its own backside in debt.

I'm not an expert, so only suggestions, so I like them!  hahahaha lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like the on/off deal may be off again after Ecclestone stuck his oar in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/34945796

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)