free hit
counters
Lotus F1 Team to be renamed Renault F1 Team next year. - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
NedaSay

Lotus F1 Team to be renamed Renault F1 Team next year.

If rumours all over the F1 centric webworld and other media outlet are to be believed, the Lotus brand would not be part of the F1 Circus next year. as Renault would have purchased  the Enstone team from Genii a few year after offloading the  team on Lopez and his partners.

The options for Renault are limited as the deal with RedBull is unlikely to be renewed Renault will have no works team if they don't do a deal soon. STR was at one point tipped to become the new Renault works team. However the most logical choice remains the Enstone team even though the team have moved on to Mercedes powerplant this year. 

This would be a good way for Genii owner to come out on top as Renault will not be to fussy about the debt of the team.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/05/28/have-renault-already-bought-lotus/

http://www.eurosport.fr/formule-1/saison-2016/2016/renault-considere-un-rachat-du-lotus-f1-team_sto4756073/story.shtml (in french)

Edited by NedaSay

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Personally will be sorry not to see the Black, red and gold cars on the circuit with the Lotus name. Lotus deserves to be up there with McLaren, Ferrari et al, their heritage in F1 is just as strong.

Ho hum though, we can't be too sentimental about it but it would be good one day to see a resurgent Lotus back in F1 with a strong link between the team and the road cars. But again, don't think that will happen with the new CEO as seem to read a quote somewhere where he said something along the lines of "the technology of the F1 cars does not filter to the road".

Toyota in F1 as engine supplier to Team Lotus to complement the road car agreement - haha, that would be cool...  Off back to dreamland.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

This year the marketing events links between Lotus cars and the F1 team has been very reduced compare to last year, so i wont be surprised at all if the deal end.

We should know more about this very soon as the team should apply for a name change again if this ownership change is to happen.  

Maybe Lotus could do a deal with Tony Fernandes to keep the name going.........

Dave.

And the FIA are canvassing for new team entries for 2016 so any new teams have to be announced.

Agreed though, a shame if the lotus brand quits F1, has been good watchin the blank and gold cars

Agreed.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Stick a $300m cheque in the post to Hethel and they'd love to help you realise your dream.

Result cheque in the post. LOL

Renault has dropped a firm hint that its long-term plans are not in line with Red Bull's any more, but says it intends to honour its contract with the Milton Keynes-based team for next year.

The French car manufacturer has been evaluating a new approach to Formula 1 after believing that it was not maximising the marketing benefits of its works relationship with Red Bull.

And its impetus for change has only grown on the back of a disappointing first half of the campaign and some intense criticism from Red Bull about its lack of progress.

That reached a peak at the Austrian Grand Prix when Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz said Renault had destroyed his company's enjoyment and motivation in F1.

Future plans still open

Renault is edging closer a move to buy the Lotus team which, if it happens, will result in the Enstone-based outfit being rebranded for 2017.

But Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul has made clear that no decision has been made yet.

“The status is unfortunately not very sexy to hear,” he told Motorsport.com about the results of its future evaulation project. “It is that we continue to work and look at options.

“Our CEO Carlos Ghosn was fairly clear at the Formula E [race in London] that in F1 we are not pleased with what we have now, both from a performance perspective but also from a marketing perspective. So we continue to look at options.”

However, Abiteboul is adamant on one thing: that what is being discussed longer term will not impact on the current contracts it has with Red Bull or Toro Rosso for next year.

This comes despite mounting suggestions that Red Bull chiefs are trying to see if there is a way it can escape the final year of its contract with Renault – especially if a tie-up with Lotus affects its status as its 'works' team.

“We have binding contracts until the end of 2016, that is the starting point. We are making plans to honour those contracts,” he said.

“The solutions that we are developing are more for 2017 than 2016, but again if 2016 has to be a transition year to 2017 then we will have to develop something. We continue to work. But we are much more advanced in our desire to continue to be in F1.”

Different path to Red Bull

Abiteboul says that Renault's priority is now doing what is best for its long term future – which has put it in direct conflict with Red Bull's ambitions to get back to the front as soon as possible.

“I don't think we should jeopardise 2017 in order to rush something for 2016,” he said. “There is no rush. It is a long term game.

“But that [approach] is different to brands like Red Bull who have been in the sport for just a couple of years now, and who are more sponsors of the sport rather than constructors in the sport.

“Maybe that [long term focus] is also what is unsatisfying to Red Bull, who like to have success yesterday.

“I understand that, but on our side we don't look at it that way. And maybe that is one of the reasons why it is difficult to align [our targets] at this point of time with Red Bull. But we are thinking long term.”

F1 plans must change

Although a withdrawal from grand prix racing still cannot be completely ruled out, Abiteboul has said that Renault's chiefs agree that it cannot continue with the same approach to F1 it has right now.

He says that the way its partnership with Red Bull works is no longer justifiable: because it does not gain enough from success and it is hurt too much when things go wrong.

“What you need to make sure is that the gains are bigger than the risks and the negativity associated with that,” he said.

“That is the reason why we need to change what we are doing now, because right now the balance between the gain and the loss, financial but also reputational, is not good enough. This is what we need to reference.

“Anything we do in the future in F1 will be with much more control. In my opinion, the difficulty of the decision we have to make is to balance exactly a lot of factors.

“We cannot work in isolation, we need to work in partnerships, but also be in control. This is the control and risk sharing that must be measured, apportioned and decided.”

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Have read throughthat a couple of times and still not sure what it's saying, other than RB are fickle bedfellows and Renault want control of their own destiny.

well.. Enstone was Renault so it might make sense to buy it back again.

Not sure if they'd be the best team to buy, may be STR have a better car, but not sure if STR would be for sale.

Red Bull would better start looking for a new engine partner as they might be having a small issue by the end of 2016. May be Honda :scooter:

I really think Honda will come good for the 2016 season, maybe not right up there with Merc and Ferrari, but not far off and from what I have heard the Mclaren chassis is recognised to be pretty good right now.

So, Red Bull with Honda - hmmm, maybe interesting and may be not such a wild idea... But then if Lotus goes to Renault that means Mercedes would have an engine slot to fill, so seems logical that Red Bull could go there, but then cannot see Infiniti being too keen on that at all.

Interesting times indeed

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

At least if Red Bull have Honda engines, it'll give McLaren someone to race against.

Margate Exotics.

Harsh Ian. Honda playing catchup but I believe they will get there for 2016. After all, looking the other way who'd have thought Renault would have been so poor?

well.. Enstone was Renault so it might make sense to buy it back again.

Not sure if they'd be the best team to buy, may be STR have a better car, but not sure if STR would be for sale.

Red Bull would better start looking for a new engine partner as they might be having a small issue by the end of 2016. May be Honda :scooter:

It's not so much about the car, it's their old team Renault could drop 1 or 2 managers there from a years ago and the team would literally get up and go and not have to think twice about it. Enstone and Viry worked well together in the past.

The current F1 specification came about because Renault said they would withdraw unless it was adopted. Well done, chaps... (!) As for Honda..their last efforts were a disaster, when they withdrew Brawn took over with Mercedes engines and blitzed it. Whatever, I only hope we don't get a repeat of Toyota...when millions were spent to no good effect.

Personally, as I have said before, I'd do away with the aerodynamic bits and pieces and go back to mechanical grip on the road surface... and do away with "driver aids" too.  

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Frankly, I could care less about hybrid technology. Seems to me it causes more problems than it solves, and I too, would prefer to see a return to a simpler Formula 1.

The dominance of Mercedes is off-putting, not so much for the diehard fans, but the more casual ones. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if such viewers have switched off in their thousands. And let's face it, that's where the money is. Because at the end of the day it's all about money, and as someone once said, everything is always about money.

Margate Exotics.

Always was a travesty. "Lotus" in F1 ought to be more than a branding exercise.

Amen, It should have always been called Enstone (or something to that effect). But in the Bernie Circus it's all about money and to insert the Lotus name mainly to draw ignorant/wishful fans and their $$

Real Lotus F1 machinery is a distance thing of the past. The current team really has little to do with Lotus except for the name. Yes it is sad that Lotus really isn't represented in F1 any more. As a young kid, I started watching F1 back in 1963 when Jimmy Clark won the first championship for Lotus. Those were the days and is why I love both F1 and Lotus.

When Colin Chapman left the team, it basically fell apart and died with him as he was the genius behind it all, winning and setting trends in design that are still being used in today's F1 machinery. Most years when Chapman came with a new car, starting the season, everyone else was racing for second. Really no one is still there from the old team so what is the worry?

It is really no loss if it is taken over now as Renault has the deep pockets that are needed to fund a team or one needs a major sponsor so it will be good for the team and F1 for the team to be taken over. 

One can only speculate but I believe there is a chance that Chapman never died, but just left the country with close to 18 million pounds sterling when the Delorean sports can deal with Ireland went south. The money was never recovered as shadow companies were set up to hide it's where abouts. One dude went to prison as only 800k pounds was recovered. 

They even said that he, Chapman, billed them twice so who really knows the where abouts of the money or Chapman. He was a genius in his racing cars and very clever so who knows. 

But team Lotus isn't really Lotus at all other than in name only.

Richard

Given the turmoil during the last couple off years with the F1 team I'm more than happy to see the Lotus name being pulled out of that circus. At time like these with lots of positive signals coming from Hethel the last thing needed is more headlines including Lotus and financial issues. Last weeks issue with tyre supplier holding back goods for the F1 team is just the latest of news we don't need. Although we who spend (too much???) time on TLF know the difference between the two this is not neccesarily the case for avarage Joe/Paul/Günther/Sven who might consider buying his first Lotus.

I will be sad to no longer see the Lotus badge on the nose of an F1 car, even if there is no real connection.

The presence of the badge was much like a tribute to the original team. Thats how I would think most people would see it, especially potential Lotus car buyers.

People who dont have any interest in F1 might assume there is a full relationship but they would also not be aware of the F1 teams financial issues so that would not be a downside.

/\

what he said. I would be sorry to see the Lotus name disappear from F1 again.

As much as it's unlikely to happen anytime soon, the ideal would a return to actual involvement in a Lotus F1 team rather than brand marketing.

Whilst I fully understand that on paper, the connection between the Enstone F1 team and the car company is nothing more than marketing, I think some of the comments on here are a little one sided.  A few seem quick to point out that Enstone use the Lotus name to secure more cash (well, it's easy to see how well that's going!), but Lotus also use the connection.

I don't think anyone can deny that plenty of Lotus fans are happy to buy and wear the official team gear, it's great for the name to be out there too, and Lotus of course produced the LF1 which, if nothing else, created a real link between the F1 team and the car company.

As for a real Team Lotus, we almost had that a few seasons back, but legal disputes kicked in and Caterham was drafted in as an alternative.  The truth behind it of course is that you need mega-bucks to be competing in F1 nowadays, and tiny companies like Lotus don't have a chance of being there in any other way.  I say it'd be sad to loose the name from F1 again, even as a Ferrari fan ;)