free hit
counters
Cayman GT4 vs Exige v6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
alias23

Cayman GT4 vs Exige v6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Chris Harris?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Spend the difference in their base prices on go faster bits for the Exige and see what happens then.

That works out to about $60k in Australia from what I can work out on the interwebs.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

This test comparison isn't really fair.

First of all, the Exige S is no track optimized car like the GT4. The new test driver of the german "Sport Auto" Christian Gebhard has done test rides one day before the official test, because he wanted to avoid to be slower than pronounced from Porsche side (my guess).

(Usually the idea of the Sport Auto test was, to have one warm up lap and than directly the hot lap. This, so the idea, shows how easy you can run fast with a car, which furthermore should show, how fast a standard driver could reach the final lap time.

As an evidence you can see, that the Sport Auto lap times are not the fastest ones, an ambitious driver could driver achieve those with a difference depending on his skills.)

Additionally the news came up, that Porsche engineers had adjusted the car during the test run, which was more or less unique. Finally, and we all know this, the Exige S is not the right car to compare with. This must be the Exige Cup.

My recommondation to Lotus: Whenever you are invited to prepare a test car for the german Sport Auto, take this serious !! ;)

Addition: For going fast on the northloop, you need finally to have some stiffer spring rates and dampers as they are. This was also recommended by Christian Menzel, a german profi driver. I am absolutely sure, that a Cup is going faster than this GT4 lap time, even on this level it is hard to find seconds. But 200 kg less should show benefit.

Edited by Freejack

Much depends on how the driver feels about the car I would think as confidence is needed especially around there. No denying it though, the GT4 is a fast and very well finished car by comparison, good job Lotus can make a car appealing for some in a way it's difficult to put your finger on.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

The time an extra 40 bhp makes is hard to claw back at the Nurburgring, so many long uphill sections as well as the vast main straight where the more slippery Porsche cd will also help. I don't think its any disgrace that the Exige ran the GT4 so close, it is £10k cheaper on paper and more like £20k cheaper with options. You can definitely see the Exige gaining at certain points. And the GT4 is supposed to be the new messiah with all of Porsche's development billions, their ultimate mid-engined sports car, Porsche Motorsport involvement, GT3 parts the whole shooting match! I'm sure Christian Gebhard could have gone quicker in the Exige, but also probably in the GT4 as well.

The strength of the Cayman is it's daily usability. A natural jack of all trades, it's one sports car to do it all in the great Porsche tradition. The NS laptime is good but hardly mind-blowing. For those that take the view that Porsche engineering is superior to all others it must be a little disappointing. As a package I still think the Exige is a better choice of outright track car. If nothing else this video proves that around most UK tracks there will be nothing in it. The Cayman might be more comfortable on the way home and it's breadth of ability is sure to impress but when it comes to communication, excitement and driver involvement I'll wager the Exige still has it comfortably beaten. For me anyway, that stuff is the whole point of buying a sports car.  

• Like 2

Exige 400 vs Cayman GT4.....can't wait :)

Black n gold

Exige S - the little car that could!

Seriously nice to see a hand-assembled British motor take the fight to a German industrial powerhouse product such as the Cayman.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Where do you stow the roof in the Caymen ?  :harhar:  (Purely on that basis it rules it out given my usage, so I'd love to see the equivalent Boxster vs Exige Roadster video)

Maybe with 400BHP in Cup form the Lotus will match the GT4 ring time, but it's a war of attrition they'll never win. Porsche will just roll out an RS version. There's more scope for Porsche to make the Caymen faster if they wanted, than Lotus has left in the current Elise platformed Exige. 

I'm with Pitts though, there's more to it than numbers, there's a load of intangibles about how a car makes you feel. :)

It's all irrelevant to me, as there's no way I could extract anything like my cars full potential around the 'Ring, which I'm sure applies to 90% of other owners as well!

• Like 2

Indeed, I'd just be happy to get round without crashing! :D

Took the V6 to the Porsche Colchester Sunday meet this morning. There were very few cars there that attracted more attention and none of those were made by Porsche!

Can't both cars be awesome? I know that's how I feel about them both but if i had to pick one regardless of cost (and resale value), I'd go with the V6. Just like I'd pick the 918 over the other two.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

My recommondation to Lotus: Whenever you are invited to prepare a test car for the german Sport Auto, take this serious !! ;)

Addition: For going fast on the northloop, you need finally to have some stiffer spring rates and dampers as they are. This was also recommended by Christian Menzel, a german profi driver. I am absolutely sure, that a Cup is going faster than this GT4 lap time, even on this level it is hard to find seconds. But 200 kg less should show benefit.

Building on that Lotus should use Komotec to prepare the car. Not only do they have the competence and drivers, the ring is their home territory. 

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

On fast tracks with many >200 km/h straights (and uphills like the NS) power wins over power/weight...and 60 hp of measured difference is a lot there!

That said I think a stock Cup would make the same time and an "easy" 7.30 with 400 hp.

The GT4 would be faster by 5 sec with a proper gearing: I never saw so much use of 2nd gear (even at the Aremberg!) on the NS.

The GT4 would be faster by 5 sec with a proper gearing: I never saw so much use of 2nd gear (even at the Aremberg!) on the NS.

Yes and no. The engine is a torque motor out of the Carrera S, maybe it's enough to avoid shifting that much.

On the other hand, 8:32 bevel gear wheel (is that correct? ) should fit this easiliy.

• Like 1

I don't see why a lot of people here need to find excuses or reasons why the GT4 was faster. The second gen Cayman has been lorded as one of the best mid-engines cars ever. You would be hard pressed to find a bad word spoken about it by drivers or journalists so it is not a slight on the Exige if it gets out paced over a very long toll road. 

I would have bought a GT4 if i could have ordered one and was very close to buying a GTS as i wanted a more road friendly sports car but i took my S2 Exige for the oil line recall and had half an hour in a V6 and thought it was very accomplished on the roads compared to the S2, which meant i could keep the brand i love! and have a car that was great on both road and track. Yes the GT4 is a better car and yes the Exige v6 has a few shortcomings compared to most any car nowadays but the child in me loves the looks and the familiar Lotus feel  and i just smile and tell myself i have a Lotus.  :smoke:

Well done Porsche for making a stonking car. 

• Like 2

The 3.8 is torquey for sure but where he uses 2nd...it means the 3rd is too long for a fast exit.

It seems to have a good torque at mid revs but not so much under, and it is quite frustrating for such a big engine.

Look at the Ex-Muhle exit where CG keeps the 3rd instead of downshifting...the car seems very slow.

The gearbox is the same of the CaymanS which I already found "long" when driven on the Alps.

@Topcat: for me it's not a big "problem" but just talking about two great cars!

Now that a 4 cyl Civic, a Megane or a Seat Leon can lap well under 8 mins that 7.40 claimed for the GT4 doesn't look like such a big time : )

I am not looking for any excuse, it's more a bit complaining, why Lotus has wasted a lot of potential performance. A supercharged car does not need to have less HP as advertised and with a better prepared car the gap between Exige and GT4 would have been smaller.

In any way, even I am Porsche fan, I don't want to switch over, because the Exige is a very special car with a high public acceptance.

I'm not going to declare the GT4 awesome until I've driven one. Likewise I refused to assume the 991 GT3 was the be-all and end-all until experiencing it first hand (it turns out it is a bit tasty ;)) but I think journalistic integrity has gone south along with the circulation figures in recent years. A 2.7 Cayman is not quicker round a track than an Exige V6, anywhere in the world except the pages of Evo. This video above proves how close it is to the level of the flipping GT4! If the power in the GT4 tails off at the top end due to it being restricted (like Chris Harris claims and unlike the Cayman GTS) then I just couldn't put up with that for the money their asking. Porsche can play car politics with someone else's hard-earned. Given the exquisite unassisted steering is one of the major reasons I wanted an Exige, it would be inconsistent of me to not care about the Cayman's EPAS either.

I'm sure the GT4's a great car for most of the people, most of the time, Porsche is very adept at doing that, the Cayman's styling is deliberately unoffensive but overall it's a bit too sensible for me. I think a sports car should be a bit more daft, outrageous and drool worthy. It needs to appeal so strongly on an emotional level, to be so dazzling and oozing with wantability that you can no longer see the inherent daftness of spending a ton of cash on an impractical 2 seater.

I know I'm biased about the colour but Top Cat's Exige, does that. Seeing Stubox's immaculate Pearl White V6 or Tom's LF1, these things are off the charts to look at. I've yet to see a picture of a Cayman, GT4 or otherwise, that gets anywhere close.

@Topcat: for me it's not a big "problem" but just talking about two great cars!

Now that a 4 cyl Civic, a Megane or a Seat Leon can lap well under 8 mins that 7.40 claimed for the GT4 doesn't look like such a big time : )

Especially given which set of wheels the power is going through. ;)

With stuff like the Golf 400 on the horizon, it probably won't be long before we see one of the next gen hyper-hatches beat today's sports cars.  

At the end of the day though 99% will have been cubed in 10 years time, at least the Exige will still be worth something ;)

TBH it's all just daft,  cars destined for the road getting ever faster whilst the speed limits being ever more strictly enforced. 

Thankfully the Porsche GT4 and Exige V6 cater for different markets but the fact is that the Porsche caters for a wider audience. That alone will potentially qualify it as a better car to the majority but the Lotus appeals to those that want and appreciate something different. I think the difference in lap times/performance is close enough for that not to be a deciding factor to a potential purchaser. Lotus have done themselves a favor with the 50/50 deals and shifted a lot of cars because of it but this has not helped those looking to sell later on but of course you can seldom have it all ways.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

As I posted on the Evora forum, it seems like no one is more upset about the Cayman's success than Porsche. So, it seems like the facelift due next year gets a new 4-cylinder engine! Porsche needs to reestablish the gap to the 6-cylinder 911, which the GT4 is definitively outperforming in all variants but the GT3.

OK, it may have similar power figures, but it will be a 4-cylinder!  :huh: 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

AFAIK 4 cyl turbo Caymen and 6 cyl 3.0 turbo 911 are coming for the very restrictive anti-emissions laws which are going to be introduced in China

I don't like the idea of a "detuned" engine on the GT4 respect the one of a 911S but what I dislike more of this topic...is the 25 hp of power lost of that Exige, assuming they tested the cars on the same dyno : (

I pay for those hp, and pay taxes on them too!