free hit
counters
Cayman GT4 vs Exige v6 - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
alias23

Cayman GT4 vs Exige v6

There's just no way there's that much power difference between the two cars in the video. So many reasons for the Exige's dyno test, ambient temperature, humidity, heat soak, dirty air filter, ecu issue, faulty sensor, tyre slip, dyno set-up, politics.

If my car had 320bhp there's just no way it could do this: 

That was absolutely flat out in both cars from the Bus Stop to La Source.

If we have only got 320bhp then you have to conclude that Porsche is lying big time about weight. Either way a £55k Exige V6 can keep up with a 468 bhp £100+k 991 GT3 to 125mph. No need to worry about a German car magazine's dyno test. Porsche have made very sure that the GT4 can't keep up with a GT3 so no need to worry about a GT4 either!

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As I posted on the Evora forum, it seems like no one is more upset about the Cayman's success than Porsche. So, it seems like the facelift due next year gets a new 4-cylinder engine! Porsche needs to reestablish the gap to the 6-cylinder 911, which the GT4 is definitively outperforming in all variants but the GT3.

OK, it may have similar power figures, but it will be a 4-cylinder!  :huh: 

there's still a bit of distance, allegedly the 991CS did a 37.9 which i find incredible ! i think the gt4 really should be beating that time.... but its a huge gap to recover. i assume the gt4 will go quicker tho and close it . 

i think the evora400 will be somewhere between the exige S and gt4, wider, longer, more slippery, more lateral grip and more hp will overcome the weight deficit of the exige imho. 

the 991 gt3 did a 25!!!! the mind boggles!!! 

anyway its all conjecture :) but thats why i love ring times :))) passes the time 

I agree, smaller displacement, with fewer cylinders and forced induction is very likely for the Caymen.  How long the 911 can keep using a normally aspirated 6, before emission rules make it prohibitive will be interesting to watch.

I suspect the 911 will go hybrid. It would probably suit a lot of Carrera drivers that use the car more as a GT / daily. The 918 is just setting the scene.

One of my works colleagues looked at the i8, and it was the styling that kept him in the 911 rather than the drive train.  (There's no way he'd buy a Caymen as there is no where to put his golf clubs ;) )

Johnny I'm sure that your Cup has come with all the hp you paid it for : ) like the one tested by a magazine here in Italy (353 if I'm not wrong).

That said, and on komotec's itslelf admission, the HP of his kits risk to be theorical in a summer TD without a proper intercooler (and there are about 50 kg of difference with your car)

This topic is making my brain work fast even in the Sardinian beach where I'm lying today: I believe the first that come out with a 400 Cup or a GT4RS will have my money...the abstinence is harder than I believed : )

The rumour is that it will be a 420 Cup and should be on sale within the 12 months. Most owners on the Porsche waiting list won't even have their GT4s by then!

Giorgio it was very hot that day at Spa. I don't notice much tail-off in power on trackdays. But you do notice a lot more torque on cold days, it's like someone has fitted a bigger supercharger!

• Like 1

There's just no way there's that much power difference between the two cars in the video. So many reasons for the Exige's dyno test, ambient temperature, humidity, heat soak, dirty air filter, ecu issue, faulty sensor, tyre slip, dyno set-up, politics.

If my car had 320bhp there's just no way it could do this: 

That was absolutely flat out in both cars from the Bus Stop to La Source.

If we have only got 320bhp then you have to conclude that Porsche is lying big time about weight. Either way a £55k Exige V6 can keep up with a 468 bhp £100+k 991 GT3 to 125mph. No need to worry about a German car magazine's dyno test. Porsche have made very sure that the GT4 can't keep up with a GT3 so no need to worry about a GT4 either!

I was surprised as any that a bog standard 2.7 Cayman was quicker that a V6 Exige tyre problems notwithstanding around Anglesey even though it is a tight course

I wouldn't swap my car for a GT4. I know Porsche are good and my dad has owned a few. We've even done the Porsche centre driving day a few times which is superb fun. However I can't get excited by their cars. I've not driven a GT3 or any GT cars in the range, but I have driven a 997 Turbo, the 991 GTS (both manual and auto) and a standard Carrera 4S. They're competent cars but they are quite dry. They don't leave me wanting more.

My Exige however is just wonderfully engaging and incredible fun.

Edited by ChrisBuer
  • Like 1

Porsche are very nice cars but i dont want one and dont aspire to own one, not a modern one anyway, id still quite like to have an old 993 turbo.

My father has had a few porsche now and although they can be pretty quick and certainly more practical than my Exige i just find them numb and boring, and no more exciting to drive than my old Z4 and they certainly aren't as exciting as a lotus to look at.

Im of the understanding that the GT cars are a different level but with the ever increasing price in the used car market us mere mortals are unlikely to ever own one even if we wanted to.

The german "Sport Auto" compared Porsche GT4 and Exige S directly at the HHR (Hockenheimring)

Result was GT4 1:10,4 vs. Exige 1:11,6

The complete test was won by the Exige because some points for this and that (brakes, power to weight ratio, price, etc)

Driver was again Christian Gebhardt who pointed out, that they never got a Cayman before, because Porsche knew about the worse power to weight ratio and saw no chance to win.

Now they saw this chance and unfortunately Sport Auto didn't manage to get a Cup Exige.

In any way, 1:11,6 in a sport sofa isn't bad at all. Looking to the diagram it is obvious, that the GT4 won this comparison because of higher corner speed in every corner. I guess 0:30 to 1:30 front camber is explanation enough.

My Porsche friends are now teasing me with my lightweight slow car ;)

excitement and fun isnt only measurable about laptimes!
Exige ten times more fun and excitement than a Cayman. :B)
Test a Exige V6 with better setup, i think laptimes will be the same.

Edited by DK7

excitement and fun isnt only measurable about laptimes!

But it's easier to argue against friends ;)

Would have thought a fair comparison would be the Cup vs GT4, the base GT4 in theory is 10k over the base price of the GTS, therefore the comparison with V6 coupe with a Cayman should be GTS and so on...

But we all know this :)

I would put money on the Cup setup (having changed my V6 coupe to have the Nitron setup) would give it a couple of seconds over a lap at least.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Would have thought a fair comparison would be the Cup vs GT4, the base GT4 in theory is 10k over the base price of the GTS, therefore the comparison with V6 coupe with a Cayman should be GTS and so on...

But we all know this :)

I would put money on the Cup setup (having changed my V6 coupe to have the Nitron setup) would give it a couple of seconds over a lap at least.

Agree more than 100% in all of your comments. ;)

Cup setup will be done within the next few weeks.

The arguments will never end but the base cost of the GT4 is £10k more and a poverty spec car is another £10k so I'd say it's impressive to run the car many are hailing as some kind of new messiah so close. But for a German car mag to declare the Exige the winner over their latest homegrown wunderkind is astonishing! That detail stood out far more for me than the laptimes. I can only image the Cayman's electric steering, while fine in isolation doesn't stand up to a back to back comparison with the feelsome Lotus rack.

Can we have a translation of their conclusions please?

• Like 1

Will do that a bit later. It's more or less depending on weighting the hard facts of a car and there are more than a few things beside lap time.

Having just spent the week in the Alps with a load of Porsches including a Cayman GTS and an R I can say a V6S will stay with and gap both Porsches.

However cock up a gear change and they're back with you. Likewise after a full day chasing around the passes and cols , you're f'd they're adjusting the ac.

The other Porsches on the trip where a little trickier...

0f8921a866cc4b4e10477834e9b90ba2_zps172c

So as long as it's gt4 vs Exige 400 it'll be a great scrap.

Black n gold

Result of comparision in Sport Auto

Lotus       Porsche

17               20              Lap time HHR 1,11,6 - 1:10,4

20               20              Slalom 18 m 73,3 - 73,7

13               12              0-100 km/h  4,2 - 4,4

14               12              100-0 km/h  32,6 - 33,8

13               12              Power to weight ratio   3,3 kg/ps - 3,6 kg/ps

10                9               Price to performance ratio  932 € - 1225 €

87                85             Result

Edited by Freejack

So, main topics or pro and contra are as follows.

Better noise comes with the Porsche, gearbox is better as well. Lotus knows about this and will work on a new gearbox for model year 2016.

Lotus big advantage is the better weight to power ratio, here Porsche could learn from Lotus how to save weight all over the car. The team of Sport Auto hopes to see a GT4RS without carpet, glove box and maybe Makralon rear window.

Lotus could learn from Porsche how to adjust a proper suspension. The test car showed a very fine first steer in reaction, but than turned into understeer under power. The DPM (they wrote) is adjusted to the corsa tyres. They found out to go faster without DPM because of better grip with the Trofeo, but than they are missing a LSD.

Both cars are real sports cars one must love in a world of automized gearboxes and turbocharged engines. They show unique character for a very competitive price. Who needs to have a bit more comfort around should go for the GT4, the real purist sportscar is manufactured by Lotus.

From my point of view, it's a fair comparision with a fair summary. And it showed even more, that Lotus is loosing advantages because of saving the last 2% of engineering. But on the other hand, we all know, that if we want to have more dynamic, we need to go for the Exige Cup.

Edited by Freejack
  • Like 1

I agree with much of what I read above, except that a Cup would have been a better challenger for the GT4.

Having just driven a GT4 test car...it is such an enjoyable and comfortable road car with very good materials, a/c, hifi...that comparing it to a "track inspired" Lotus like the Cup is not honest.

Maybe a GT4RS if one day we'll see one.

What I only disliked of the Porsche was really long gearing for the Alps; sometimes you need 1st gear to exit narrow corners like the standing spectators looking the lanscape would expect : ).

And with such a playful chassis (seemed to drive my old S1 just a little grown up) and a fast differential it is a pity.

Sadly where the Cayman would win the game 3-0 is in value residuals...

• Like 2

The comparison between GT4 and Exige/Cup must be seen from both sides.

When you see how much engineering Porsche did, to trackfocus the GT4, you must compare with the Cup. Having in mind how much comfort Porsche provides, you must take the ExigeS.

But this is one of the most important advantages Porsche shows: Lightningfast cars which have more comfort for daily use like others.

Beside the main topics they mentioned, that this car wasn't as strong as the first car they tested 3 months ago.

• Like 1

What I only disliked of the Porsche was really long gearing for the Alps; sometimes you need 1st gear to exit narrow corners like the standing spectators looking the lanscape would expect : ).

Interesting points re 1st gear. We are taking our V6 to the Alps later in the year, and one thing that concerns me is the 1st gear switchbacks (I find it very hard to get into first unless stationary), with the PDK last year this was no issue - I was hoping the torque in second would be enough in the Lotus this time round.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Interesting, but the crux of the comparison is unassisted steering versus electric. There is a massive difference in driving involvement and enjoyment beyond the numbers. Regardless, the magazine still declared the Exige as the winner, somehow I can't see any UK magazines doing that, all our journalists have gone soft! They can't even get an Exige to beat a Cayman 2.7!!!

Porsche have always made daily useable fast cars with good visibility, good turning circles and so on. Conservative styling has always been a part of that too and remains a big part of their appeal to the lowest common denominator. Thank goodness other car makers continue to lose money by dreaming about the extreme, the impractical, the ridiculous and the wonderful. With Porsche profits being the envy of the whole car industry you have to wonder how long that can continue. It's looking like SUVs and sensible fast cars with extortionate extras from here on folks.

The GT4 and Exige might be close on paper but far apart in terms of desirability - for me at least. One is a small car maker giving its all. The other is a big one holding back. It's always 'one day' with the Cayman. Clearly it is a big step forward for the Cayman but also not yet the definitive article - everyone is already talking about the GT4RS! A detuned engine in a 'GT' car!? No matter how good the engine, how great the sound, how fast the performance we all know that Porsche could - and should - have made it better. They paid engineers to take power, and according to Chris Harris (of all people!) some top end sharpness away.

The only recent Porsche where they didn't hold back was the 991 GT3 and it has caused them problems - fire problems, engine recalls, and given them a real headache for the GT3RS - only 10kg lighter and cannot rev as high. It's very naive I know but there should only be one agenda - making the best possible GT4. The GT3 should have nothing whatsoever to do with it. It's a great car in its own right and doesn't need 'protection'.

• Like 1

Jonny, with the GT4 they started a balloon and they all were astonished with surprise, that they sold all cars within weeks.

Surely the engine isn't the right one, but with the origin GT3 engine the price would have been much higher and maybe with a smaller margin. From that POV Porsche did everything right, even more there is a Boxster Spyder which is more or less sold out as well.

Now some voices are telling, that the GT4RS could/will/should appear with a 4cyl. turbocharged engine incl. hybrid system as a reminiscence to the LeMans winning car. This could be much more track focussed and maybe more light than the GT4.

At least, both cars are really different and I am really happy to step over from Porsche to Lotus, because it's a new feeling, new input, new kind of driving style.

I meant really that the GT4 should have the full power 911S engine. But yes, the 468bhp GT3 engine would, for me, make it for me the car everyone else seems to think it is already!

Production was based around Cayman sales which are historically very low by Porsche standards, I agree they were completely taken by surprise. However they will respond and make vast numbers of them. Those looking to make a profit should sell soon.