free hit
counters
Cayman GT4 vs Exige v6 - Page 4 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
alias23

Cayman GT4 vs Exige v6

Just a teaser, but it looks like Pistonheads listened to those saying that the GT4 should go face-to-face with the V6 Cup. The picture suggests it is the "old" Cup, though.

http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-potw/lotus-vs-porsche-pic-of-the-week/32839

Wait and see for now.

Here goes:

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/porsche-cayman-gt4-vs-lotus-exige-v6-cup/32842

More neutral and less pro GT4 than I had personally had expected. Nice they point out the Sport Auto conclusion of the std Exige S too... Guess some of those Porsche fans are now scratching their heads and might even turn their heads when they see an Exige V6 next time... Really hope they follow up with a track comparison too.

Lotus have a potential home run for an upgraded Exige "400" or whatever they would call it right now. Hope they do the same exercise as with the Evora turning every stone to improve the car for a gen. II machine that will finally settle who´s the purist sport car brand for the true car enthusiast

Edited by kokostrollet

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The real victory here for Lotus is that they have created a car that can run Porsche's very best to within an inch of its life on a fraction of the budget. I also suspect that a Standard S would have fared even better in an on-road comparison than a Cup. It will be interesting to see the track comparison between the GT4 and the Cup.

Overall, a fair review I think and one Lotus can be proud of.

• Like 1

I have to say I think it's a really silly and pointless review. If you compared a V6 Cup and a V6 S down the same roads you'd come to the same conclusion. On a very bumpy B road the Cup car needs to be softened. It's really easy, just a few clicks, it takes seconds. If that is their principal objection to the Lotus they really should have bothered to soften the dampers before coming to a conclusion.

No test of the Cup is complete without some track time - the environment it was intended for. Of course it's not as comfortable as a GT4 on the road, it was never going to be and was never trying to be.

Where is the detailed comparison of the cars steering systems? The GT4 is only compared to previous Caymans. And you can't spec a Cup past £70k. My car is only missing rear parking sensors from the options list, has premium paint and cost well under £70k. I could go on...

It's a real nothing article. The Cup was the clearly the only Exige available for the article as they were asking forum members for a regular V6S prior to this.

No test of the Cup is complete without some track time - the environment it was intended for. Of course it's not as comfortable as a GT4 on the road, it was never going to be and was never trying to be.

I assumed that the track test is coming up in the next instalment. If the GT4 wins that one as well then the on-road comparison is relevent in my opinion. I expect the GT4 to be the better car, but the fact the Lotus can run it so close is the real victory.

It's a bit like Oxford Utd taking Manchester Utd to a replay and then only losing in the penalty shoot out :)

Well-meaned intention is there, but nor sure it's happening?

"Next time we get these two back to back it needs to involve a track and a stopwatch..."

Spyder will win that too - it won't ruffle the coiffured 'airdo as much as the Roadster...

• Like 2

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Spyder will win that too - it won't ruffle the coiffured 'airdo as much as the Roadster...

I think it's more likely to win on the basis of how many scissors fit in the boot :P

Surprise, surprise.

To be fair to Porsche, they said it wasn't a limited run car right from the start. For whatever reason the crazy-eyed fanboys on Pistonheads had great difficulty believing it.

OK - not trying to reignite the vs debate here. But I have been wondering if the real world demand for this car is anything more than hype?

I know on the internet the entire world wants one of these cars but has been told they can't have one, but in the real world I know of 2 people that have had the option to buy one and taken it and also 2 people who had a genuine option to buy one and have turned it down. Currently there is one on Pistonheads for sale with 2k miles that I think is a £70k list price car, advertised for £104k:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-981-gt4/4759806?experimentVersion=b

When you watch all the reviews, Chris Harris, GetawayDriver, etc - they all comment on there being no chance of getting one, however these reviews are 6 months ago and it was never a fixed build number car. Surely Porsche can just build the cars there is demand for, and now they have found the demand is there they are building them (but releasing them to potential buyers in a very secretive way).

I have to question of the people who not only want one, but are also in the position to buy one if they were given the opportunity, how many of them remain that have not actually got one? The mega money that the odd one "may" have changed hands for may just be people with silly money who just have to have the latest "must have" car. I know when I first had my LF1 I had a random call from a rich collector of cars who knew nothing about the LF1 but really wanted to buy it off me for a premium - I did not consider this a true market value for the LF1.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

There is certainly unprecedented demand for a Cayman, which has traditionally been a slow seller by Porsche standards. I think that's why they under estimated demand so badly. The dealers were asked how many cars they wanted and they based their numbers on Cayman sales. The higher price, manual-only and more extreme nature of the car didn't scream sales success among those who sell Porsches for a living!

Demand is clearly strong for the GT4 but there's no doubt that the hype machine has been in full flow. Maybe they're trying to make a best out of a miscalculation and play the exclusivity card for all it's worth? But as Tom points out it was never a limited car, something those thinking of paying a premium might like to remember.

Also the Boxster has always strongly outsold the Cayman, it's easy to see why, almost exactly the same car but with the option to take the roof down and costs less too. Again though there doesn't seem to be much fuss about the near identical (but convertible) Boxster Spyder, which is, for me, a more appealing package. Just goes to show the how strong the allure of the GT badge is!

Its a great car and it is special especially when you look under the hood. However its is massively over hyped... as with all porsches at the moment. Please don't get me wrong I'm a Porsche fan through and through but Porsche are forgetting the original customer the one who drove these cars went to track and thrashed the life out of them on Sunday mornings at 5.30am. Well I did in the GT3 ;)

However with all this hype, cloak and smoky windows they're letting down this original customer base. I mean just look at the spec of that one on piston heads or any of the 991 GT3's they're all comfort mode! No roll cages, no lightweight seats, they've been bought by folks who are wanting to make a quick buck and even though Porsche said that wouldn't happen it has yet again it would appear with the GT4... Porsche need to fix up and get back to looking after its original customer the one who had a passion for driving.

In the meantime Lotus seem to be winning over the ex-porsche customer and good on them! However Lotus need to ensure they don't take the biscuit charging £80k+ for their new gen cars as thats not going to help them.

Anyhow rant over...

Actually no it isn't... Porsche I hope you're reading this! You had my money, you faffed about with my build slot, then told me I couldn't have the PTS colour I wanted, or the club spec, or the lightweight seats.. Your communication was appalling and arguably it wasn't the dealer it was you in HQ stirring the mystery to increase the hype... So you lost my order and I went to Lotus and then I spent money on modifications and track time!

I hope you read this as I genuinely love you Porsche but you let me down and lost my business. Okay rant finally over.

• Like 2

www.alias23.com

They've lost 2 sales to us over this too, the Macan Turbo where our build slot kept moving about 9 months, 18 months, not sure when... then the GT4 which we'd have traded our Boxster for - no you can't have one, allocation gone, won't be any more won't even take a deposit. Followed by a phone call yesterday - "if you want a GT4 you can, but you have to be quick", sorry too late now... I am wondering if the phone call was down to the rant Alex had along the lines of Imran's above a month or so ago at Porsche, "people who want these cars to drive an appreciate just are not getting the opportunity".

A friend of mine is bringing one along to a Silverstone track day in a couple of weeks, finally we can put one up against a V6 on track.

The rarity and hype only seems to extend to the UK - by all accounts, you can still order one (and a GT3) in most Euro countries.

I know two people getting one.

One of them will keep his, the other is making all sorts of excuses about the gearing to build himself up in justifying flipping it...

One of them will keep his, the other is making all sorts of excuses about the gearing to build himself up in justifying flipping it...

He doesn't need to make excuses, if he can turn a quick profit - good for him :) He can then spend the money on something he wants to drive.

Indeed, it'll find its way to someone who genuinely wants to cherish it, and he's made some money in process. Sounds pretty savvy to me.

Savvy perhaps, but at the cost of a genuine enthusiast who has to pay over the odds for a car they want to keep.

• Like 1

Savvy perhaps, but at the cost of a genuine enthusiast who has to pay over the odds for a car they want to keep.

Yes, we could also have quite easily done this, however it is very hypocritical, we have complained at length to Porsche that they are not allowing people who want and appreciate to buy and drive these cars, those that are buying them are putting them out of reach of people who want to drive them, and those that have got them and want to drive them can't because of the ridiculous value.

To then do exactly that when given the opportunity would not be good form. Mind that attitude is probably why I will still be working my arse off past retirement age to fund this passion for motoring :(

• Like 1

A new video:

First time I've seen a press car with a UK plate, recent one too. Still saying they are all gone.

Met some friends at a TD over the weekend, they've just sold a 991 GT3 before winter comes and while the market is hot. They got a phone call in the week offering a GT4, turned it down also. The car was not for them and agreed that it was not worth the risk taking one on and flipping it as they'd also know of others who have turned them down when getting "the phone call", seems that people that actually want them and are in the position to buy have them... those trying to cash in may be about to be hung out to dry.