free hit
counters
GTE paintwork protection film - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LotusLeftLotusRight

GTE paintwork protection film

As existing GTE owners know, the bodywork of our cars is very susceptible to stone chips etc. Mine is only 500 miles old but has already encountered several miles of Northamptonshire County Council's newly gritted surfaces, as well as a suicidal game bird of some breed or other on the M1 today. This was on the drive to a company who will be applying the protective 3M film this week. I will update this thread after collection, but they intend to use my car to measure up for templates for all GTEs if others are interested. This should make it easier for the rest of you, assuming the templates are made available to their other official installers throughout the UK. I have asked for protection to the front bumper/splitter assembly, headlamps & washers, mirrors, bonnet/leading front wing surfaces to c/f vents, c/f vents, bonnet section between c/f vents and windscreen, c/f sills, lower flanks ahead of rear wheel arches and the small horizontal area directly behind the rear wheels. I am also getting the paintwork corrected before application, as well as having a chemical protection applied to the entire car (inc. all c/f parts) so that I don't need to polish it for a few years! This bit is of course optional and probably a bit unnecessary.

Watch this space.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's not too late, can I suggest that you take your car to Paintshield in Peterborough?

Their film is 'self-healing': http://www.paintshield.co.uk/miracle-paint-protection-film.php. If it gets scratched or marked, then an application of heat will fix the mark. They are happy to demonstrate it to you with sandpaper and a kettle.

About to say the same....

Same here. Xpel Ultimate is the best film I've seen up-close.

Anybody any idea of the costs involved?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Anybody any idea of the costs involved?

It obviously depends on how much of the car that you want covered. But up to £2k max. That will be your whole car covered (like a clear wrap).

£2k is a good price for a full car wrap. I'd expect to cover a car in Xpel ultimate would be more than that.

The material for a full Xpel Ultimate wrap is about £1.5k. 

Trev, if you want it done speak to my pals at Wombat Wrapping and they'll do you a special deal I'm sure.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Thanks Bibs. I was going to to have B&C's guys do the vulnerable areas, I've not been unhappy with what they put on the Exige. The Xpel sounds interesting but you can get a fair bit of painting done for £2k if needed so that is also a consideration. I'll see how this thread goes and the results it throws up and take it from there.

Trevor.

£2k is a good price for a full car wrap. I'd expect to cover a car in Xpel ultimate would be more than that.

I'm pretty sure that's what some Aston owners were quoted by Paintshield. I can try and double check, if you want.

No, just thought that sounded cheap when an extended nose plus a few other bits to protect my wheelarches etc. cost me £1100.

I think the self-healing thing is a bit of a gimmick, larger stones can and still do get past the film and it can't 'self-heal' that. What I like about Xpel is the clarity and thinness of it. Also the way Paintshield fitted mine was very neat and precise. Most other films I've seen are thicker and more obvious and in some cases they could have been fitted better too.

Paint shield has a five year warranty and will sort out any issues such as peeling or bubbles...

However they won't guarantee if you track your car.. Annoying as that's when you need a tough product!

Xpel offer 10 years against peels, bubbles or discolouration. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

I think other films are self healing.  The film on mine was done by a contractor to Lotus Silverstone, it had a graze on it where I scratched the film with a finger nail as I was trying to scrape off a dead bug.  A few months on, the graze has gone completely.

I had the front end done, it cost about £300.  The edges are only visible is I haven't been careful with the wax

I have today collected the GTE from Bodyguard UK, Daventry (Jarrod, 01327 315777)

On Monday the technical guys came in to template the whole car and input into their computer programme.

On Tuesday Aaron from Deep Impact Detailing came in to professionally polish the entire car (inc. all carbon fibre parts), removing swirl marks and treating with a long-lasting protective solution, which should avoid the need for polishing for at least 3 years.

On Wednesday the 3M Ventureshield film was trimmed and applied by Jarrod as follows:

Entire front bumper assembly (inc. c/f splitter)

Bonnet up to c/f vents

Headlamps and washers

C/f vents

Cross piece between c/f vents and windscreen

Leading edges of front wings (up to about back of headlamps)

Entire c/f sills (barge boards) inc. undersides

Lower rear wing panels ahead of rear wheels

Edges of rear wheel arches (approx. 1" wide)

Horizontal sections behind rear wheels

Leading and trailing edges of c/f rear wing

They also relocated the rather chipmunk-esque positioning of the number plate from the top of the front bumper to the upper part of the front grille. There have been no overheating issues with this new location.

If you are an interested GTE owner, please contact Jarrod for a quote. If his location is not convenient for you, he may be able to recommend another company closer to your home who can use the templates. I am not at liberty to divulge the price because anyone else might want different parts protecting and other installers may charge different rates, but from what I have read elsewhere, let's just say the price was "very competitive", otherwise I wouldn't have bothered!

Mobile phone photos are pretty useless, but here's some gratuitous ones anyway!

003_zpswlcc4mbp.jpg

001_zpsuzh3tm4c.jpg

002_zpsa0lq9stj.jpg

004_zpszd0st9gi.jpg

005_zpsvkr9tkql.jpg

• Like 2

Nice! Like what you've done with the plate, much better :)

Evora NA

Looks interesting, rough cost?. On if you prefer-

Trevor.

Looks stunning. Well worth protecting one of the rarest/coolest Lotus's every to grace our roads!

I'm having Armourfend do my other car next week. Xpel Ultimate Paint Film bumper and mirrors for £365 + VAT. You could get it re sprayed for that but I'm hoping this sorts it forever and I can keep the original paintwork forever...

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but they offer a 10 year warranty on the parts and a year on the labour..

Let's see.

Now that they've all been delivered, I was just wondering if any other GTE owners went ahead and got protective film applied to their cars like I did.

In hindsight, I think I went a bit OTT with the protection on mine, but I would definitely recommend covering the full front bumper and splitter assembly, c/f barge boards and (most importantly) the lower bodywork panel ahead of the rear wheels.

Accidents aside, mine should never need any paintwork with all the treatment it's had.

Id be interested to hear any quotes from wombat if anyone has contacted them? 

Spotless Detailing in Perth managed to find the correct GTE template on their system but as my car has a longer and sharper nose than the other GTEs some modification of the template was required.

i had part of the interior covered with the Xpel film too as it's matt carbon and prone to getting scuffed.

i will be taking my white GTE to Spotless Detailing shortly to have Xpel film applied to it too. 

Dont think it's necessary to have the whole car covered. 

On 04/06/2015 at 15:46, Bibs said:

Nice! Like what you've done with the plate, much better :)

The factory dont recommend that plate position. I'm not sure if its because of cooling issues or just that they didn't fancy drilling holes in the carbon bumper to fit brackets for the number plate.

Your Xpel applier would have been using my GTE template.

My front number plate is held on with clips to the grille. No drilling required. They look stupid attached to the nose IMO. No cooling issues to report after a year either.

The critical areas for GTE protection are front bumper, "c/f barge boards" and crucially the lower bodywork ahead of the rear wheels. As you say everything else is pretty unnecessary (although mine has a whole lot more!).

• Like 1

I agree, the number plate on the nose doesnt look good.

Do you have a photo of the clips and / or a supplier?