free hit
counters
Rebirth of TVR? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rebirth of TVR?

• Gold FFM
  • Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would rather remember them fondly as the british sports car manufacturer who did things differently to everybody else and put a big smile on all our faces, than yet another false dawn for a once great company to be reborn, but ultimately fail.

I would rather them concentrate on providing support and quality parts, plus restoration to the current TVR owners.

Edited by atlasapl

I don't understand any negativity?

Surely any British sports car manufacturer who has a viable business plan, good market research and the capital to back it (assuming that these are all present) has to be supported?

Not that I would buy a TVR. Oh...

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

TVR always attracts negativity. You would be amazed at the amount of negativity Lotus attracts on other fora too. There is a place for both as the DNA is totally different.

They have already invested heavily in establishing TVR Heritage and TVR parts for the old models, so support for existing owners was the first thing they did. What they need to address this time is proper EU homologation. Under Peter Wheeler they only ever did a few versions of the Chimaera in the mid 90s and that was a mistake. One reason I have the Lotus today is that it was not possible to import and register a Sagaris.

At least this time it appears that all those involved have serious credentials and the finance to make it happen.

Can't wait. :bounce:

• Like 1

I agree with you Pete - I see it as a positive. I love TVR too and was sorely tempted by a Sagaris last year after testing one. They have such presence and a gloriously thunderous soundtrack too.

They are really holding their value and even appreciating - I suppose asking prices are different from selling prices achieved.

I have always admired what Lotus stands for, but I am also a general petrolhead and can appreciate why people are equally drawn to the drama of TVR.

I, for one, would love to see a successful rebirth of another British sports car.

Good luck to them and I will follow with interest - and keep my eye on the Sagaris....

• Like 1

Normally negativity comes from Brand Orientated people like Porker Owners (Or BMW Audi etc). Someone I know who has an S Line said to me the other day at the Garage, while I was filling up my Excel (ready to go for some repairs Saturday) "I'm sure it's a great car but it's got THAT badge on it, Lots of Trouble......" I must admit physical violence was just a snippet away.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

TVR´s are very nice cars that could exist in friendly coexistence relating esp Lotus.

Proof: a friend got an (heavy modified) Elise a n d two TVRs, esp the Sagaris is a GREAT car 

In munich the TVR Community is very friendly, me and my Lotus always got a kindly welcome (in Germany both brands are clearly extreme Outsiders .......on a typical day I see 4 BMW i8, but no Lotus / TVR)

Every enthusiast should be happy if a sports-car brand will rise again!

just my 2p  

Shamelessly nicked from another forum;

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/06/04/tvr-return-delights-hedge-menders/#.VXBhms9VhBc

I love TVRs, and always found their owners to be positively predisposed to Lotus too, they just go about things in a different way.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Normally negativity comes from Brand Orientated people like Porker Owners (Or BMW Audi etc). Someone I know who has an S Line said to me the other day at the Garage, while I was filling up my Excel (ready to go for some repairs Saturday) "I'm sure it's a great car but it's got THAT badge on it, Lots of Trouble......" I must admit physical violence was just a snippet away.

Same happened to me last weekend twice.  First comment at Membury services "Shame they're so unreliable because they're lovely looking cars."  Then another tw4t said the usually "Lots of trouble. . . "  It seems to be getting worst for some reason.

Haha! The ubicuous plonker, he was trying to say something because sub consciously he wants something interesting and fun to drive but doesn't have the imagination or balls to do something about it! He'll live his life with regrets, thank god he's not us

• Like 2

"I'm sure it's a great car but it's got THAT badge on it, Lots of Trouble......"

I had a similar experience while filling up recently.   Clarkson has made a whole generation aware of that very annoying saying.

My dad used to own a Stag. Never overheated once or broke down (like my Esprit) yet the amount of comments we had on a warm day. Things like "you wont want to go to far in that today mate" and "hope you have lots of water bottles with you" really did p him off. Yet even today any Stag article still goes on about cooling. Any Stag now I would of thought would of been sorted if its a half decent one.

Back on Topic, would be nice to see TVR back. I very nearly bought a 4.5 Cerbera. One of the main reasons was I could fit inside without having to adapt my feet and back. It was a toss up between this and my Esprit. Esprit won due to the shape but still want a Cerb, cant afford both. Bugger!  

These porkers need more competition I think as well. They are bloody everywhere!

I don't understand any negativity?

Surely any British sports car manufacturer who has a viable business plan, good market research and the capital to back it (assuming that these are all present) has to be supported?

Not that I would buy a TVR. Oh...

I am not saying I wouldn't support TVR coming back, I am just more than a little sceptical of yet another famous british sportscar brand being revived. We have seen and heard this far too many times in the past, only for it to all fall apart again. They plan to launch the car in 2017 they say, yet here we are half way through 2015 and they don't even have a factory yet, let alone experienced staff. Can they really do all that, and launch a new car in just two years. They may all have the best intentions and credentials, but blimey.

And the front of that artists impression in Autocar looks like a TT.

Edited by atlasapl

It's all part of Gordon Murrey istream light manufacturing process and supply chain infrastructure.

The way the cars are going to be manufactured doesn't require having a factory at this point in the development of the project. Besides there are a few suppliers in the UK that are fully capable to manufacture the car and other places to do final assembly. Coventry has retooled their old disused factories into a top spec manufacturing center with a lot of room for start ups and it could totally caters for TVR needs right now.

for more info click here

I believe the reason GMD was chosen to develop the new car resides in the promise that GMD can deliver pretty much on target if they can come up with the necesary funding and Cosworth can come up with a (probably) Ford engine that will deliver true caracter to the car.

Edited by NedaSay

I owned both a Tasmin and a 280i DHC back in the '80's. Loved them at the time and had some fun in them in the TVR club. We visited the factory around the time the SEAC was being produced. TreVoR started the company in his shed - and it was still a shed even back then! No wonder there were so many issues with wiring etc. Never seen so many naked lady posters!  

Have to say I still have a hankering for a nice sorted Cerbera or T350. Would be great to see a new car....

Edited by nello