free hit
counters
Lotus eclat gearbox prob - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus eclat gearbox prob

Can anyone offer some advice, my 1977 eclat with 5 speed box has no reverse or 5th. I have fitted a new saddle to the gear stick fork as it was badly worn and tried adjusting the bolt to the right hand side but only getting 1st to 4th gears.

Only recently bought it so not sure of history. Suspect the engine and box will have to come out to strip and sort but hopefully someone out there has an idea to save me doing this!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nope, only had 2nd and fourth. Theres no real external adjustment on this box other than the side play which I have tried. It actually feels like its selecting Reverse and 5th but nothing on releasing the clutch.

Sounds like someone removed the box and forgot to put it into gear before they took off the gearstick/selector.

Was it the black one up in Scotland? If so, that's what's happened and it's an engine and gearbox out job to line it up again.

Yep, black one in scotland, Got everything else sorted apart from this. Thought box would have to come out, cant understand why they have designed it so engine has to come out as well tho?

Well, on the plus side.....that one is thought have the makings of a good car and saw a large amount of work by a previous owner. It used to belong to John Walsh who commented that it had one of the best engines he had encountered.

My info on fixing this error comes from John - who had the same issue on another eclat - I'm sure he will be along shortly to provide first hand commentary on how difficult or easy the job was, but I understand its a box out job, which in our cars means box and engine out job.

Not that much of a 'mare surely, and when its done, it'll be a good car.

I understand it was put in for a new clutch to a mechanic who didn't know about Lotuses who didn't know to put it into gear first. Now the selectors aren't lining up.

Certainly is a cracking engine, just changed oil, plugs and leads today and its running sweet with loads of oil pressure and not a bit of smoke even from cold. Changed all four rear driveshaft ujs today and had it out for the first time, pulling really well! Planning a repaint and trim once I get the gear issue sorted and it will be a really good one. Very happy with it!

I understand it is an access issue to the selector forks.

I believe Johns pretty savy with a spanner - he wouldn't have gone to the hassle of taking it all out again if there was an easier way to reset the selectors. He will be along in a bit  to explain probably.

If your going for a re-spray will you put it back to its original orange? It's a very rare colour and I have only ever seen one other (on ebay a year or so back with extra pictures from mark and the mouse damaged interior)

Would certainly appreciate any advice, stripped a few boxes but never a lotus 5 speed. Torn between going back to original or keeping it black, have spent a lot of time tidying the paint over the last couple of weeks and it looks good in black! If anyone has a nice interior out there give me a shout!post-19521-0-48393200-1433618438.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Paint looks nice........ Hope you can sort the gear issue..... Surely you can drop it down and get some sort of access.......

Worse case - take out - but it will be worth it - it looks stunning

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Hi Dave, yep got the message she has a new owner, I know this car inside out. I originally bought her as a spares car down in Hull where she had sat in a garage for something like 18 yearsm mechanically she had one of the best engines I had heard in a lotus, the paint although looking good on pics realy needs a pint job. Have a look at the frony offside inner wing as I am sure hse has had a new one grafetd on at some point, you can just see the hump where I think a joint was made. The interior is/was a little tired and if yur interested I have a complete leather interior in cream which would suit either the origal Orange or the current Black. A small fortune was spent on her replaceing every single brake component and I mean everything. Chassis was all done with the worst part being front offside corner by the radiator, it had some quality welding done and the rear cross member had new sections fabricated and welded in, how long they will last knowone knows ae hese are a known weekspot on the chassis. Now the saga of the gearbox. When I got the car she was well and truly stuck on the clutch and nothing would shit it so the engine and gear box were taken out, she had a four speed at the time and we fitted a complete new clutch assembly and a five spead box, the oil seals and water pump were renewed along with the belts and gaskets, easier to do when its out so it was al done. What people tend to forget and it etlls you in the manual is you MUST put it into second or fourth gear before removing the gear lever. Now the car went though two people and the next I heard was that the loal guy who had moe money that sense thought it needed a clutch (it had done less than 5 00 miles by this time) so he sent it to a local garage to have the wrok done, yep they never selected 2/4 gear before removing, they then fitted a new clutch, stuck engine and box back in the car and hey presto, only1,3 and reverse gears.They then gave the car back to the owner who then gave up and put it up for sale, she then landed down your way, still with the same problem and the guy you bought it off called me to see if i knew of the problem, last I heard he was going to do a full restoration but must have changed his mind as she turned up on ebay again at 1500 or thereabouts. to fix the problem is no big deal and can be done in a day if your handy with spanners. You have to take the engine and box out,remove the top cover on the gearbox, there is no room to do this with the unit in the car. carefully move the selector to engage 2nd gear, replace the cover and stick it back in the car, it can be a bit fiddly getting the gears right as the selector is spring loaded, but be carefull you dont bend the fork as they are fairly soft. If the selectors have been bent thats still no big issue as I have a spare box and am not that far from you.

Just ping me a message if you need anymore help. The car was a good driver while she was up our part of the country but was never used much. I think I still have loads of photo's of her when she was used as a wedding car about 6 years ago as well. I am with Dunc on the paint, if yur going for a resto, go Orange as I doubt if you will ever see another one.

Just remembered, we will be at Glamis two weeks today with 22 cars on display which is half an hour from you, come along with the car if you like we have a couple of spare slots on the stand, your more than welcome and I can show you first hand what was done and what needs to be done to fix her.

Cheers.

John.

Excuse the typos, hand to brain lack of connection syndrum.

• Like 1

Thanks for that John, very much appreciated.

what I still cant get my head around is why it has to be in gear if you are just removing the stick, however I will get it out this week and get the lid off.

I noticed the off side inner wing has had a repair done at some time but the panels all align ok so not to worried and the chassis repairs are all still good today.

got absolutely no history with it so thanks for all that info. If I can get the gearbox fixed will defo consider the short trip to Glamis.

would also be interested in the leather interior as well, could you send some pics and price?

thanks again

Dave

• Gold FFM

Hi Dave, I am currently in KAzakhstan and the pics are on my pc at home but will see if Mrs W can dig them out, as for reasoning behind the gearlever etc, all I can say is it's a lotus. Be carfull of the radiator when you go to lift the engine, you have to lift it a bit then pull forwrard then angle it to get it out amd when you go to replced it, get someone under the car to guid in the propshaft but dont get your hand stuck in the oval hole in the chassis as I did the first tim, ouch that blood hurt.

turns out a bigger issue than the usual prob John, got the engine and box out and lid off the top tonight. As I said earlier in the story I can select 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th but it will not select 5th or reverse and I can now see the selector fork is lying to far over to the right almost against the side casing.

suspect it has been bent over or something has come adrift so will req a strip down to replace