free hit
counters
Lotus eclat gearbox prob - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus eclat gearbox prob

• Gold FFM

Hi Dave, if you haave a manual I am sure it shows a grub screw which holds the fork in place, trying to go from memory but I think unless the fork has been forced and bent you should be able to manouver it back into place by sliding the gears back along the shaft to get the correct position, you should then be able to turn the fork to line up in it's correct location. As I said been a few years since I did this one, just a pity I am away from home or I could have had a look at my spare box and walked you through it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hi John, you are right enough there is a grub screw for fifth gear selector fork but I have now discovered the issue is the circlip which holds the selector lever for reverse and fifth in place onto the interlock plate was lying in bottom of casing, resulting in the leaver sliding off!

Not a job for the faint hearted but ive ordered a complete gasket set and will let you know how the rebuild goes.

decided I am going to go back to orange and do the engine bay first while it is out, would you know how I can get the original paint code?

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Glad you found the problem even if it's a bit of work, as for colour, have a look through the documents as there was a huge file of old paperwork that we collected and if i'm right we got a heritage cert from Andy Graham at lotus which gives the code. Also on a data plate on the car somewhere. Ping Dun a message, he will be able to tell you exactly where to find it. Are you coming in past Glamis at the weekend, if so be shure to give me a shout, I hope to have the new S3 up and running in time but I only have 3 days to pull strip, rebuild and refit the engine and box and it a bit more challenging then the Eclat for sure.

Polyurethane orange is mentioned in the workshop manual, in one of the update sheets.  It seems to be a colour introduced about '76.  Basic code is S04.  The Lotus part number for the base is AO76B6034V (ICI P407 - 720). But that doesn't help know what colour is it!

Edited by Herc

cheers guys, all that history has not been passed on to me but I have dropped Andy Graham @ Lotus Archives an email to see if he can confirm colour. 

will defo try to get along at the weekend but working on this car is becoming addictive!

and if you get a chance  send me some pics of that leather interior you have John!

thanks

• Gold FFM

Will do Dave, been a bit hectic with contract discussions this past week but will try and get some dug out for you, thinking about it they may be on my other phone so will check it today. ping me your email address. As for Andy at Lotus, he does a great service, I thing the cert etc cost about 45 pound now, but well worth it.

just when you get some time mate, plenty to do before I get to the interior!

I joined the N.E. Scotland Club Lotus a couple of days ago so you should have all my contact details inthere. I am also up in Arbroath a couple of times a week and could easily head your way for a look.

• Gold FFM

The S3 WILL be passing Perth a week Sunday on her way to knockhill for the armed forces event, We can give you a shout on the way back and pull into Perth for a pit stop.

that would be great John, have a proper chat and you can take me round the block in the S3!

Polyurethane orange is mentioned in the workshop manual, in one of the update sheets.  It seems to be a colour introduced about '76.  Basic code is S04.  The Lotus part number for the base is AO76B6034V (ICI P407 - 720). But that doesn't help know what colour is it!

cheers Herc, just to let you know Andy Graham @ Lotus Archives reckons it is Colorado Orange, Code L14.