free hit
counters
Rear suspension parts no headache - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rear suspension parts no headache

Hey guys, wanting to replace the rear suspension on my 88 domestic turbo, but very confused by the parts manual and all the "replaced by", green dot white dot etc etc.  Are the below links correct as to what i should get? 

http://www.kelsport.net/parts/products.asp?CategoryID=34&PartsectionID=26

http://parts.bellandcolvill.co.uk/23272-rear-spring-yellow-red-white.html

post-13083-0-57787500-1433852231.jpgpost-13083-0-73360400-1433852288.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First question is why? What's it doing wrong.

Have you rebushed everything?

When changing springs and shocks, the wrong mix and match is costly.

If I were doing my Esprit now I'd probably go AVO with adjustable spring colors, keep the existing springs.

Do nothing until the bushes are replaced.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Roger, you pose a good question - I'm thinking of replacing my suspension because I'm convinced that after 24 years my shocks and springs are pretty worn out and (like the bushes) probably perform nothing like they used to back in 1991. Springs sag, and I'm sure shocks wear too, even if they don't leak. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Yea the bushes are done, the front shocks and springs are now NOS oem units but the rears are still the adjustable AVOs installed around 2001. As a result the front is higher than the rear as the avos have been screwed down at some point. Handles poorly as a result hence my question trying to get the OEM rear setup or whatever it was "replaced by". Will get the 2009 handling update springs dampers in five or so years. Can you help me work out what the part numbers are for the OEM rears?

Travis, AKA Vulcan Grey, has a huge amount of data on springs and shocks. And a good engineer, I'd message him.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Without the VIN, I don't think I can figure it out from that part's manual either...

I did find this

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/info-request-spring-rate-color-codes-113033/

Front Suspension                                                                Rear Suspension
Model      Color Code  Rate (N/mm & Lbs/in) Free Length (mm) Static Length (mm) Color Code  Rate (N/mm & Lbs/in) Free Length (mm) Static Length (mm)
S1         Orange      21.2/121             355              N/A                Green/Green 27.5/157             347              218
S2         Orange      21.2/121             355              N/A                Green/Green 27.5/157             347              218
Turbo      Red/Red     21/120               366              191                Blue        27.5/157             347              218
S2.2       Orange      21.2/121             355              N/A                Blue        27.5/157             347              218
S3         Red/Yel     19.3/110             354              191                Green/Yel   24.5/140             326              203
Turbo 85   Yel/Purple  22.8/130             369              203                Blue        27.5/157             347              218
S3 85      Yel/Yel     22.8/130             381              216                Green/Yel   24.5/140             326              203
Turbo HC   Yel/Purple  22.8/130             369              203                Blue        27.5/157             347              218
X180 Turbo Blue/R/Wh   28.1/160             361              203                Green       27.5/157             347              218
X180 N/A   Yel/Purple  22.8/130             369              203                Yel/R/W     27.5 & 157           334              205,7
GMP4 Inj.  Yel/Purple  22.8/130             369              203                Yel/R/W     27.5 & 157           334              205,7
SE         R/R/Purple  29.1/166             372              219                Green       27.5/157             347              218
Eagle Ch.  Yel/Purple  22.8/130             369              203                Yel/R/W     27.5 & 157           334              205,7
SE 93 MY   R/R/purble  29.1/166             372              219                Green       27.5/157             347              218
S4         Blue/Blue/W 41/234               N/A              214                Gr/Blue/Gr  45/257               N/A              227
Sport 300  White       45.4/259             208              290                Orange      49/280               N/A              N/A
S4s        R/Blue/W    41/234               N/A              214                Gr/Blue/Gr  45/257               N/A              227

or this 

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/esprit-spring-rates-241434/

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Damn, I didn't know the S4 onwards were that much stiffer! Wonder why my SE feels like a rock...can't just be the tyres. 

Different springs were used on the S4:

Three different on the front springs:

yellow/blue/green - prior '95

blue/blue/white - '95 to VIN '2030

red/blue/white - VIN '2031 on

Two different on the rear springs:

blue/blue/yellow - to VIN '2030 (42 N/mm)

green/blue/green - VIN '2031 on

• 8 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread me thinks.

Does anyone know of a source for OEM rear springs and shocks? My car is leaning so it will be getting new suspension all round. The fronts are easy to obtain (SJ Sports Cars have them) but the rear springs, all I've seen is aftermarket alternatives which I'm not keen on. With my car being a 91MY SE RHD I believe I need F079D4003F springs and A082D4146F dampers....I've never found anyone stocking them, however I'm not 100% sure whether they may have been remanufactured by someone?

Any advice? 

• Gold FFM

Looked into this for my old one - no stock of anything original anywhere.

its pretty much aftermarket only - which proper annoyed me after doing the front standard.

Only here once

Thanks for the quick reply Barry. Yeah I'm not touching any aftermarket parts for a car developed by a company renowned for...handling. 

My alternative is to buy second hand units from a 1992 Highwing that caught fire here a few years ago. It was an Italian car and perhaps less used and molested than my UK Esprit. With that, I'm hoping the "sagging" is reduced to a minimum. Costs almost nothing as well. 

• Like 1

I had AVO on my Esprit S4. They were awful. The ride was too harsh or too soft and the adjustable rebound and compression were never able to give a compromise. They were supplied with Eibach springs but i reverted to the standard spring and they were still rubbish. The parts corroded and seized despite limited use and dry mileage. 

I would never recommend them and I will never buy their product again.

As a point of reference stay standard and i would also avoid the Eibach upgrade springs if you want to achieve a reasonable ride height.

Just my 2p

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Don't you have companies who can take your old dampers apart and renovate them, resurface, valve, oil, gas, gaskets etc. And also Companies who can copy original springs to spec. Maybe that is an idea to stay original?

Without wanting to go into another discussion, my personal view on the original springs and dampers is, that Lotus made them to have excellent roadholding and in the same time excellent comfort. While they are excellent in this combination, it also holds some compromises.

While I understand that the majority would want that combination, I personally don't like comfort and soft springing. I also understand that with regards to both keeping Wheels on the road and the Esprit's chassis, there are limits to how hard springs you can install, and they shouldn't be hard for hards sake, as there is no point in that, but I will certainly install aftermarket suspension on mine. My dampers and springs are already changed to original once, recently, and I'll keep them for originality later, if need be. So, It is now narrowed down to Öhlins or Nitron, while being adjustable on more parameters. To be able to Work from this though, I have had to update every single other component between chassis and Wheels, so I did just that and am still missing some, as I am waiting for parts. I don't see much idea in getting new suspensio, if other links in the chain are not fully up to the task. Hence the Work so far.

On my motorcycle for example, I had a few different sets of rear dampers and springs, and I ended up with a set of custom made Öhlins, which are surprisingly soft springed. The ride firmness is not hard nor soft, but firm. But the quality of the way the dampers and spring are able to suck up variations in roadsurface amd keep the Wheels planted, also in turns, is really really really good, unlike other I have tried. The polishing of internal parts, and other building details, makes a real difference. I am not trying to build a trackcar. That's a whole different ballgame.

So, for my Esprit, I am definately going for an adjustable set, height, damping, rebound etc, light Construction, rebuildable, and most important, a really good build quality. But my highest respect for Lotus sublime ability to build roadcars with exceptional roadholding and comfort.

Anyway, mys suggestion was as mentioned in the top.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Jacques, 

You have the advantage of having a fantastically well cared for Turbo SE and can thus judge its intended ride against your own personal preferences. My suspension is shot, some bushes are pinched, and the car leans. It's hilarious watching someone drive it, it looks like that famous scene from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"....

Furthermore, it's pretty rough compared to my V8 suspension, which if I recall, is actually stiffer all round than the SE is supposed to be. So it's not what it's meant to be right now. For me it'd be a huge bonus to just get it up to Lotus standards. I'd kinda like my SE to be a little more GT and a little less Exige.

It's too bad you like to hold onto all your original parts, I'd have bought a lot of that stuff in a heartbeat!

10 hours ago, rocket63 said:

I had AVO on my Esprit S4. They were awful. The ride was too harsh or too soft and the adjustable rebound and compression were never able to give a compromise. They were supplied with Eibach springs but i reverted to the standard spring and they were still rubbish. The parts corroded and seized despite limited use and dry mileage. 

I would never recommend them and I will never buy their product again.

As a point of reference stay standard and i would also avoid the Eibach upgrade springs if you want to achieve a reasonable ride height.

Just my 2p

Yeah I've heard this from many sources at this point, I'm steering well clear of any dodgy adjustable stuff, just good old standard spec is good for me. 

Okay Vanya, but that's why I asked about any Company who can redo your original stuff. So keep the parts you want and get them fresh. Bushings in rubber are readily available I think, but be aware that Lotac bushings are obsolete since last Summer, and nothing will be made for a while, I'm told.

As I understood it, I may be wrong which I am often, the V8 were super comfy, and the SE also somewhat comfy, but less comfy than the V8's. Deviating this, are of course, the special versions.

Comfort? What's that? It's when my dentist ask me while changing a filling: "well Jacques, have you been driving your Lotus Again?".

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Well the V8 is super comfy but I don't think it was kitted out to have a softer ride than other Stevens cars. I think it was the torque curve that gave it its reputation as a GT-car, not its ride.

I can check about companies that can match original spec, otherwise I think I'll buy all the bits from a 1992 Highwing lying around in a scrapyard here.