free hit
counters
How to fit a towing eye to a V6 (and cutting the grill) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How to fit a towing eye to a V6 (and cutting the grill)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So today after the Roundel Run and before my trackday at Hethel on Friday I decided it was time to fit my Lotus Motorsport front tow eye to my V6 Coupe.  Easy to do however this requires the cutting o

Mine is now fitted ready for my track day at Silverstone Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Very neat!

Posted Images

Good job, good post :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nice neat job, and it's good to see the actual fitting method - thanks. Do you plan to leave the towing eye permanently fitted or remove it after the track day? How noticeable is the hole if you don't have the tow eye fitted?

My plan is to fit the eye just for tracks days. I haven't seen the grill without the eye as I need it this weekend so left it fitted. I'll try to add some pictures afterwards with it removed showing the hole.

You also have to consider that I have a 3/4 size plate. I think a full size would hide the gap more.

Nice one, Tony. Glad you got it sorted.

Helpful post too (It was my intention to document the process on mine but never got round to it!)

What are the dimension for your front number plate and where did you get it ?

Not sure to be honest, it's a 3/4 size plate from fancyplates.com

Good post. Where did you get the eye from, and how much was it? Thanks.

Where did you get the tow eye from ?

You can get it from any Lotus dealership as it comes from the factory (think it's the same as fitted to the Cup).

I however ordered mine from Lotus Silverstone where it arrived the following day!  Great service from their parts department.

I don't seem to be able to add these to the original post (let me know if i'm being a muppet) so this is after my day at Hethel and have now removed the tow eye which shows the hole left.  I don't think it's too bad but don't forget I have a smaller numberplate.

Also, some V6 cars didn't even fit a tow eye when on track !?!

post-15228-0-15656300-1434917148.jpg

post-15228-0-66037800-1434917153.jpg

• 7 months later...

Out of interest, does anybody think it would work if you fabricate a stronger post to replace the one behind the grille and with a threaded hole in it so all you had to do would be screw a towing eye in when needed, without bothering about removing the grille? I have access to a metal fabrication factory so if the general consensus is it would work, I might give it a go.

You'd still need to remove the grille when you need to screw in a towing eye, wouldn't you? Either that, or at least run with a grille that has an access aperture to get to the threaded hole. Or are you thinking of a towing eye that's small enough to go through the honeycomb mesh?

Thinking of a towing eye with extended shaft and, if possible, maybe positioning the bracket so I wouldn't need to cut the plastic grille. At worst, perhaps cutting out a very small section of it.

Thinking on a bit further though, rather than replace the post, it might be better to fabricate a bracket that bolts in place using the existing screws like the proper Lotus towing eye, but then position the threaded socket to hopefully minimise, or do away with the need for cutting the grille.

I'll give that some thought and knock up a test piece using card I think.

• Like 1

I think I can picture an L-shaped bracket with a thread on the end of the vertical section that should service that purpose nicely. Good thinking, keep us posted (though obviously I'm covered with my Cup!)

8 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

I think I can picture an L-shaped bracket with a thread on the end of the vertical section that should service that purpose nicely. Good thinking, keep us posted (though obviously I'm covered with my Cup!)

Yes, something along those lines. I'm tied up for the next couple of weeks, but I'll play around with something after that.

Nice topic. 

My red tow eye show fractures and is oval shaped after using it a few times to pull the car onto the trailer. I don't dare to rely on it anymore. 

Good to know what's behind that grille. 

Nice job lads. How much did the red tow eye cost? Might get the V6 Cup grille so I can keep my grille as standard.

TonyKL, thanks for the pics, by the way what is your garage floor made of? Quite fancy the look of it for my garage. Any links to the product - thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 February 2016 at 13:00, PaulLF1 said:

TonyKL, thanks for the pics, by the way what is your garage floor made of? Quite fancy the look of it for my garage. Any links to the product - thanks.

I got my tiles from http://www.ecotileflooring.com wasn't the cheapest but pretty happy with it, installed it myself too.

I went for the 6mm so that you don't see the joins but you need a very level floor for it, I sometimes think the other would have been better as it would fit together easier and stronger.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks Tony - this was very helpful. Fitted mine today with the Grill from the Cup. Doesn't make a big difference to your cut from a quality perspective but I wanted to keep the original grill.

Thanks again for posting this!

Guys, one more question:

my Towing Eye doesn't come out straight at a 90 degree angle but instead is pointing upward a bit (a couple of degrees). I suppose this is how it is supposed to be, right? 

Cheers

Norbert