free hit
counters
Compressing Elite Front Road Springs - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
algirdas

Compressing Elite Front Road Springs

Dear All:

Is there an easy way of compressing the front road spring on an Elite? I have not yet taken mine apart, but I can tell that my spring compressors are (i) not long enough and (ii) too fat to fit between the coils. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I found that:

- I needed clamps with fairly slim hooks - a pair I had with fat hooks didn't fit.  I bought some new ones in Halfords.

-  I needed to tighten up in stages, repositioning the clamps several times.  By this I mean putting two clamps on then undoing one and extending the number of coils (now compressed a bit by the other clamp) it was compressing.  Maybe one can get a longer travel clamp than I have, but I doubt it would fit in the space.  Having three clamps didn't really work due to space restrictions inside the turret.

-  access is really hard: and that was with the body off!   the turret gets in the way primarily

-  You need to keep the clamps as diametrically opposed as possible (which is not very!) and covering much the same range of coils, otherwise the springs bend and twist a lot.

Again, maybe there is a better way than I could come up with.  I got there in the end, but it was a fiddle and a half, and took several goes to refine my positioning of the clamps.

Herc

A couple of heavy duty trailer/ ratchet straps? Worked on the Esprit...

I had to compress mine down to the absolute max of the spring compressor to get mine out. Be prepared for a bit of a wrangle to get them out.

Bauke in Holland made a special tool which looked great - search the archives.

Also, I think Keiran suggested motorcycle spring compressors?

Hi

As newbie to the forums but not to Elite ownership perhaps I can help.I've had the chassis off this car twice.Once when I first bought this in 1982.The chassis had a lot of tin worm on the rear suspension bridge helped no doubt by the sponge type foam on top of it.A galvanised chassis was duly installed.8 years later the chassis was taken down and shipped to Spydersport to be modified for their rear suspension modification.Because of pressures of work coupled with a firms car the Elite was put on the back burner,but now that I've retired I have decided to get to grips with it.It's a 1974 Elite with ongoing mods. including using Mazda headlight lift motors replacing the vacuum system.I live in North Wales.Because of the previous escapades with the chassis I made up a tool for safely compressing the springs.If anyone is interested can take a piic and give dimensions.

Edited by alan.phillips
  • Like 1

Hi

As newbie to the forums but not to Elite ownership perhaps I can help.I've had the chassis off this car twice.Once when I first bought this in 1982.The chassis had a lot of tin worm on the rear suspension bridge helped no doubt by the sponge type foam on top of it.A galvanised chassis was duly installed.8 years later the chassis was taken down and shipped to Spydersport to be modified for their rear suspension modification.Because of pressures of work coupled with a firms car the Elite was put on the back burner,but now that I've retired I have decided to get to grips with it.It's a 1974 Elite with ongoing mods. including using Mazda headlight lift motors replacing the vacuum system.I live in North Wales.Because of the previous escapades with the chassis I made up a tool for safely compressing the springs.If anyone is interested can take a piic and give dimensions.

Taking the body off twice - respect due!. Since it's your first post on the forum I'm sure there are more than a few people would would like to see pics of your car. So can I be the first to extend a warm welcome to you!

• Like 1

One trick I've used in the past (although not on an Elite) is to jack up the diagonally opposite corner of the car, then attach the clamps to the compressed spring. Then, the spring may be sufficiently compressed to remove. As the Elite has longish springs, the clamps would also need to be long (and slim).

ATB Richard

Dear Mr. Phillips:

Would you be willing to share with me your front spring compressor design?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2015‎ ‎20‎:‎32‎:‎00, alan.phillips said:

Hi

Yes please Alan, piccies and details would be much appreciated.

Oh, and welcome aboard. My 1976 Elite has had a replacement chassis along the way, carried out by the PO who had the car since 1979. I've yet to inspect underneath but imagine suspension will require an overhaul at some point.

Cheers

Ant

Dimensions of tool below:length of studding 74 cms.Top plate 3"x 7 1/4 " by 3/8" steel with a 1 1/2" hole in middle.Bottom plate 8 3/4" x 5 3/4" by 3/8" steel with a 2 3/8" hole in middle.The top plate sits on top of the suspension tower encompassing the shock absorber bushes and nuts.The bottom plate fits under the shock absorber cup thus the spring and absorber are sandwiched between the tower top and bottom plate.A very safe way of compressing the spring to remove the shock absorber.The stud length  is necessary to take into account the uncompressed length of the spring.

DSCF0057.JPG

@oilmagnet477 I am sure you done it before on the Lanny but be very careful when removing the springs. I had a lucky escape with mine stupid I know but had one in on my desk which was seized. Using a saw cutting through the damper I suddenly thought this is a stupid idea before they boinged luckliy went side ways and I only suffered a few blood blisters on my hand from the force but there is serious energy stored up in those buggers so remeber to work on them with extreme care.

Buddsy

On 17/11/2015, 04:50:27, algirdas said:

Dear Mr. Phillips:

Would you be willing to share with me your front spring compressor design?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

Hi Algirdas

Pic below.Read design particulars I sent to Oilmagnet yesterday

DSCF0057.JPG

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎21‎:‎09‎:‎16, Buddsy said:

@oilmagnet477 I am sure you done it before on the Lanny but be very careful when removing the springs. I had a lucky escape with mine stupid I know but had one in on my desk which was seized. Using a saw cutting through the damper I suddenly thought this is a stupid idea before they boinged luckliy went side ways and I only suffered a few blood blisters on my hand from the force but there is serious energy stored up in those buggers so remeber to work on them with extreme care.

Buddsy

Landy springs were of the horse and cart variety (cart rather than horse!) so a little easier to handle!

• Like 1

I have seen Alans compressor in the flesh and it is a substantial piece of kit. A cleaver design that will do the job perfectly.

i got one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Professional-Macpherson-Strut-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Dumper-Extractor-/291505037403?hash=item43df0de05b:g:zSEAAOSwHnFVk7Fr

unfortunately the correct size horseshoe doesnt fit in the tower at the top, so i actually trimmed the top one down at the sides to fit, I was cautious, but when i looked at it it seems like even if it bent/fractured where id trimmed it, it would still be ok because of the way the spring sits in it.  as it was, there was no additional flex in it at all, seems plenty strong enough where I shaved the sides to fit, you could *probably* cut the ends off completely and it still be fine for the lotus. I`m not advocating hacking one of these up, its just what I did, and it works fine, if I kill myself, its my fault... so i didnt say do it.

Edited by Mark Wainwright

Be careful.My mates one caught me on the chin last week, I was lucky as I was just moving from the car when it went. It was half way under compression.

J.

indeed, i ratchet strapped the spring to the chassis whilst i was doing it.   Ive done classic mustang springs a few times, nothing Ive ever done on a car is scarier than that, theyre some beefy springs, and the setup/removal process is just asking for trouble. 

22 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Be careful.My mates one caught me on the chin last week, I was lucky as I was just moving from the car when it went. It was half way under compression.

J.

:ouch:

(Glad to hear your okay Min...!)