free hit
counters
V8 Esprit ? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
philip600

V8 Esprit ?

Hi, I've owned my S4s for 4 years now & after briefly hankering after an Aston Martin V8 Vantage ( now decided to put on hold ) I'm contemplating whether to change her for a V8 Esprit, the trouble is I love the Oz wheels & rear spoiler on my S4s but prefer the dash of the later V8's, can anyone tell me if the V8 was ever available with the early style body ( spoiler ) but later style dash ? The wheels are not a major problem but personally I just don't like the rear spoiler on the later V8 models.

Also would anyone have an idea of what an S4s registered in March 1996 would be worth ? She's in mica yellow ( only 2 made in this colour & the other one is in Australia ) with monarch ( green ) leather ( only S4s made in this colour combination ) Excellent condition although bumpers could do with re-spray due to bad colour match )  & only 43k miles.

Thanks, Phil.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Phil, yes I've certainly seen two new dash v8's with the earlier fixed spoiler. I've not seen/noticed any with the oz futuras though, but I think they were an optional extra though. 

I don't actually think OZ Futuras were ever an option for the V8. If you look at the parts manual and service shop manual for the V8 you'll see "one piece alloys" (AWI Monoblocs) specified for 1996-1997 model years. I was under the impression early V8's had Futuras (so many reviews featured them with these) and a lot of owners seem to retrofit them, but after consulting the manual I seem to stand corrected. I can't blame them. Best wheels by far, unless you count the 1-inch smaller Sport 300 versions which then take the prize! 

Your S4s is probably worth 25-30,000 GBP by now? That's quite low miles you have there. 

Worst case you can fit the old spoiler. I don't think it'll cost too much to fill in the holes in the boot lid and make new ones on the body instead. I agree the loop spoiler is nicer than the later one. 

Have you driven any V8's? I dunno how the comfort is compared to the S4s but I find it to be a real cruiser. Love the torque curve on it. Doesn't matter what gear or rev range you're in, you're going forwards. Fast. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Initially, for the 98MY there were two types of V8 Esprit, namely the SE and GT. The SE came with the tailgate mounted spoiler and a flat transom, the GT had no spoiler fitted at the factory and a raised transom.

Many V8 GTs were retro fitted with spoilers either pre-delivery by the supplying dealership or later on during the car's life. Some owners wanted the latest spoiler available (from the SE) some preferred the earlier S4S inspired hoop. The only practical obstacle to you having the spoiler you wish is your chequebook.

It's worth noting that Lotus cautioned that the combination of the raised rear transom and a spoiler of either type could provoke unstable handling at very high speeds.

Hi, thanks for the replies, I've certainly seen a few early V8's fitted with Futura's but as you've said they could have been optioned or retro-fitted. I'm really torn as I still love my S4s but I always seem to get an itch for another new toy after a few years, 4 years for me is quite a long time compared to how long I usually keep my cars ( daily driver excepted )

I have looked at TVR's etc but for the money I don't think anything can compare with the Esprit, they just look so fantastic.

Unfortunately V8's seem thin on the ground at the moment. Not that I'm in a hurry when I can still enjoy my S4s in the meantime.

Cheers, Phil.

I had futures on my V8 GT but they were ordered from Lotus post registration. The car was fitted with OZ Saturns from new.

Totally agree about the earlier spoiler compared to the later V8 style.

I don't think you'd have any problems shifting a mica yellow S4s, I didn't even know there were any until this thread! I'd love to see some pictures of the interior and exterior myself!

V8s are still better value than S4s but for how much longer? The asking prices seem to have gone up from around £17k to over £25k in the last 12 months alone. Rarer, lower mileage examples are asking much more than that.

Hi - I recently bought a V8 - stunning car I think and great to drive - a real event every time.

Mine was registered in 2000 but I think it's actually a '98MY car.  It is Norfolk Mustard Yellow as far as I know.  The yellow is metallic which looks stunning in th sun.

I have the rear wing fitted to the body - looks fine but can't really see anything out of the rear window!!  

If I find out how I will post photos

Norfolk Mustard is non-metallic (B05 paint code - I think) so I wonder if your 98/2000 car is Spice Yellow?

I've had an SE and it was great, but once you feel the straight line power of the V8 through every gear, it would be hard to go with anything else. I also love the sound of the flat plane. My first silver '99 V8 came with stock Futuras on it. My second '99 (the only '99+ Monaco White in the US that I'm aware of) also has the later spoiler and I actually prefer it - you can see out of the rear window with it! Cheers!

post-9481-0-53782300-1434345470.jpg

post-9481-0-20617500-1434345483.jpg

post-9481-0-19279800-1434345496.jpg

post-9481-0-42094200-1434345507.jpg

Graham I'm guessing your spoiler was a retro fit, as you've got the gt extended transom spoiler.  Lovely looking car and I'm glad you're enjoying her.

Stunning V8 Graham!

I'm guessing rear visibility might improve without the V8 GT extended rear transom, if the above post is correct so might high speed stability!

Hi - I impress myself with my V8.  I still get a thrill with how great it looks !!

It's a V8 GT and I have read that many (most?) had extras spec'd by the original buyer which I though would explain the rear spoiler, the air con and the SE seats with the coloured piping.

20150523_182046_zpscin3cbur.jpg

20150523_182014_zpse8yv9prs.jpg

I didn't know about the colour but I will have a dig around the paperwork I have (lots) and check that.  I really like it though :)

• Like 1

How does it compare to your old 911? Would you say it's a huge step down or? I'm often surprised at how few avenues people explore when they buy a sports car. In the garage where I keep my Esprits there are 3 Porsches parked in a row next to it (and waaaay more in the rest of the garage - in fact they are the single more represented car type in there).

• Like 1

Hi, some lovely looking V8's there. With regards the 'transom' are we talking about the little raised section on the tip below the spoiler because my S4s has this along with the spoiler & as far as I'm aware this is how they left the factory, at least all the pictures I've seen of S4s have both, did they change this on the V8 because of the slightly higher top speed ? ( I've just checked a V8 brochure I have & the pictures of the early V8 in that have both ) To be honest most early V8's I've seen have both ? Even Matts V8 has one albeit with the later type spoiler.

Phil.

I think we should withold any further discussion about the transom until we see some pics of the UK's one and only mica yellow S4s please!

;)

• Like 1

Agreed

Glad to see you are enjoying the Esprit Graham and pleased I convinced you about the V8. You need to contact Andy at Lotus and get your provenance letter. That should remove any doubt on the colour. Check out this thread. It's well worth the small fee.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/30744-my-car-details-from-hethel-birth-certificate/?&p=286065&hl=+certificate%20+of%20+provenance#entry286065

• Like 1

Ha Ha, I'll give it a go, hopefully this works.

Mmm, missed the front off, I'm not very good with computers !!

And another, I'll get on eof the interior next time she's out. To be honest the monarch green doesn't look good in photo's & I nearly discounted going to look at this one because of it but I'm glad I did cause it looks much better in the 'flesh' & I think it goes with the yellow well, plus she's unique :-)

post-11440-0-17789400-1434395239.jpg

post-11440-0-50556900-1434395342.jpg

post-11440-0-90712900-1434395392.jpg

How does it compare to your old 911? Would you say it's a huge step down or? I'm often surprised at how few avenues people explore when they buy a sports car. In the garage where I keep my Esprits there are 3 Porsches parked in a row next to it (and waaaay more in the rest of the garage - in fact they are the single more represented car type in there).

Hi Vanya.  I like it more than the Porsche mainly because it is so much nicer looking, far far far less common and gets really positive attention.

Performance: The Lotus is a bit quicker I would say, 350HP vs 300HP.  A bit harder to use though - the 5 speed box is not as nice as the porsche 6 speed box and the Lotus is so quick through the gears it's hard to keep up.  The Porsche must be geared taller and held on to each gear a bit longer and was still very quick.  The gear for fast acceleration from say 60-70mph in the Porsche was 3rd.  In the Lotus I would say it is 4th or maybe even 5th - so quite a bit torquier I guess.

Handling and roadholding: Harder work than the Porsche definitely.  I don't think I can (yet) go as quick on the same roads as I did in my Porsche.   It was slightly lowered and had wheel spacers so a little wider and had 4wd, ABS (decent ABS I mean) and stability control.   The Lotus is good though - I'm maybe hitting the same bends quicker than before?  I'm sure the Lotus has more in it - I just need to get better, more used to it and/or braver.

Maybe my Lotus needs a better setup - I find on one particular damp roundabout the front will generally push wide (understeer) quite significantly whereas in the same conditions the Porsche was OK.

Brakes: Porsche wins I would say but also the Lotus is hitting the braking points at probably higher speeds.

Comfort: another win for Porsche - probably unsurprisingly.   But also the porsche (sports) seats I had were more supportive and held me in place on the fast twisties - the Lotus seats are just too big for me.  Maybe the original GT seats would suit me better.

Overall: well despite some of the negatives the whole ownership experience with the Lotus is better - it's the looks and the driving "event" just can't be beaten.   Plus the negatives give me something to work on!!

Glad to see you are enjoying the Esprit Graham and pleased I convinced you about the V8. You need to contact Andy at Lotus and get your provenance letter. That should remove any doubt on the colour. Check out this thread. It's well worth the small fee.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/30744-my-car-details-from-hethel-birth-certificate/?&p=286065&hl=+certificate%20+of%20+provenance#entry286065

Hi Mark and thanks for your help and a wee trip an your V8.  I did enquire about the provenance letter - I didn't realise Lotus charged for it.  I think it was about £80 or so - maybe more, I cant find the email I got now!!!  I will maybe get it later unless someone gets it for birthday/christmas etc...

Norfolk Mustard is non-metallic (B05 paint code - I think) so I wonder if your 98/2000 car is Spice Yellow?

Looking through paperwork and badge on car it is code B36 New Lotus Yellow (Spice) .  On a receipt for paint (bumper for stone chips)  it is also described as a pearl (rather than metallic)