free hit
counters
How long does a tank of fuel last you - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Right come on own up - how many miles are you guys getting out of a tank of fuel.

My right foot is a weeee bit heavy at times ( um most ) and its 195-230 ish

Now be honest....... 428 is not believable!!!!

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't tell if I'm grinning here, but my friend does have a hilarious '60's Speed Racer type helmet on...  

How long, lets put it this way, about two and a half hours.

Actually it IS possible to get 428 miles with motorway cruising.  :thumbsup:  I've seen over 400 on many trips.

This assumes that you got the tanks completely topped on the fill-up.  <--- which takes patience with the last three or four gallons.

If you are not that patient or using secondary roads at a brisk pace, then 250 - 300 has been about average.

Track usage kills the statistic. :huh:  But, it sure is FUN.

Over 23 years I've averaged about 22 MPG overall.  (US, not Imperial gallons)  Track days I get 12 - 13. :thumbdown:

A carb'd Esprit might be less depending on setup.  You DON'T want to tweak the carbs for fuel economy, do you?  :vava:

(PS:  I have records going back to 1993 on fuel mileage)

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

My S4 on a long run motorway would just about push the 300 mark, the last S3 would have been a bit less at about 280.

I think I clocked 320 or so a few weeks back, mostly motorway cruising....sometimes at legal speeds. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

One other factor:

GM MPFI cars had ~19 US gallon capacity; earlier cars had ~ 21 US gallons. 

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

You managed 9 months on your last tank, by my reckoning.

Now that's just mean!!!!

I would love to get more miles out of a tank - but it's just never going to happen!!!

The induction noise, the whoosh, the turbo kick........these are all things that just simply make it impossible......

Just wondering if anyone actually manages to drive theirs sedately - I'm thinking the answers no!!!

One other factor:

GM MPFI cars had ~19 US gallon capacity; earlier cars had ~ 21 US gallons.

Live and learn - mine is indeed a GM MPFI car......... I wonder if the tanks really are smaller or if they just fitted what they had lying around

Only here once

No idea but we had a recent trip to our caravan & into Scotland & my S4s was still showing 1/4 tank after 300 + miles. This was mostly steady driving with the odd spirited run. I filled up when my mate stopped to fill up his 4.3 TVR Griffith but his tank is also smaller ( plus the V8 won't help ! )

Like Ian said, who cares ?  I fill her up, drive her till she's down to 1/4 tank & fill her up again :-)

I wonder if the tanks really are smaller or if they just fitted what they had lying around

The GM fuel pumps have a vertical tube on the bottom of the tank...that is where they suck the fuel. (prevents starving during hard cornering)

So what Lotus did was to remove some depth from the RH tank and weld the tube on, under that.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

That's not full though, you can fit quite a bit more in as the tanks balance.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Actually it IS possible to get 428 miles with motorway cruising.  :thumbsup:  I've seen over 400 on many trips.

This assumes that you got the tanks completely topped on the fill-up.  <--- which takes patience with the last three or four gallons.

If you are not that patient or using secondary roads at a brisk pace, then 250 - 300 has been about average.

Track usage kills the statistic. :huh:  But, it sure is FUN.

Over 23 years I've averaged about 22 MPG overall.  (US, not Imperial gallons)  Track days I get 12 - 13. :thumbdown:

A carb'd Esprit might be less depending on setup.  You DON'T want to tweak the carbs for fuel economy, do you?  :vava:

(PS:  I have records going back to 1993 on fuel mileage)

12-13 mpg on the track Atwell?  I think I get 4-6.

On the drive to Lake Tahoe CA from Denver CO, I was getting 30mpg average.

my longest tank lasted 4 years though... had to drain it before starting the car again.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

12-13 mpg on the track Atwell?  I think I get 4-6.

Gotta be SMOOOOTH to be FAAAST...   right Travis? :cheers:

I won't mention the drag induced by the rear wing, either...  :censored:

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Sure do wish the fuel gauge wasn't so bloody bouncy........ Mine goes from half full to nowt and back to three parts about every 2 seconds!!! I just can't see me ever getting anywhere near 30mpg - no matter how hard I try - um which won't be very hard at all!!!

Travis - I don't fancy the 6 though - but reckon I'd be grinning like a fool if I could get her that low!'

Only here once

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I exceeded the limitations on my Esprit last weekend.  After 13 years of ownership I ran out of fuel - thought I had a good 30kms left in the tank.

So morale of the story is.  When the needle no longer goes above zero when turning a corner, its time to fill up.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

If it's near F it's good. If to gets near E, fill it up.

Que sera sera. :coffee:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

That's not full though, you can fit quite a bit more in as the tanks balance.

Interesting. The last couple of times I simply filled normally, the fuel gun cut out, and there was no way I could get any more fuel in. Gauge read above the full mark, too. I shall try again.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I would love to get more miles out of a tank - but it's just never going to happen!!!

The induction noise, the whoosh, the turbo kick........these are all things that just simply make it impossible......

Just wondering if anyone actually manages to drive theirs sedately - I'm thinking the answers no!!!

On my last tank I did 324miles, and got 56l into it. Used as a daily driver, some traffic and few chances for spirited driving. You could say I drive quite sedately, which gives me an average of 11-12l/100km, both on this one and the previous SE.

To add, the 56 litres took the gauge from bouncing of 0 to bouncing close to full. Filled with both caps removed to aid venting and balancing, but I still don't seem to manage to get the tanks completely full. With my previous SE I once managed to put in 75 litres. That was the first time I filled up after fitting the alu tanks and taking her on a testdrive (using fuel I put in with a jerrycan in the workshop). I was very surprised the pump just kept going and even checked underneath to see where it was pouring out again. Never did manage that much again, usually only about 55litres with the light permanently on and the needle resting at 0.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I have a carb’d turbo and I usually have to fill up every 300-350 miles, occasionally on a run its closer to 400.

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

• Gold FFM

Brimmed her up good this morning.

15.6mpg on the last tank - some of that I had a dodgy air idle issue though.

So I'm thinking I best be a little bit softer on foot.

All is going well - I get 5.4 miles or so away from the fuel station.......driving like I'm on my test.

Then oh look - what is that I see? - oh it's a national speed limit sign.......thats ok - lets gently gently tickle her up a touch.

Bollox - this pops in my head

Ruined until next fill up

Only here once

Travis - I don't fancy the 6 though - but reckon I'd be grinning like a fool if I could get her that low!'

I can't tell if I'm grinning here, but my friend does have a hilarious '60's Speed Racer type helmet on...

MK4_2976.JPG

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album