free hit
counters
Bleeding V8 brakes after fitting braided hose? - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bleeding V8 brakes after fitting braided hose?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In many years of bleeding brakes the traditional way I have never had and issue with pushing the pedal to the floor.     Now, I'll regret saying that when I do my next bleed   

I would say without looking at the car in person it needs the handbrake cable adjusting.  Given the fact that you have to pull it all the way to the top and it actually works at that point it would lo

Update, so I check the brakes again and had 78 mm on one side (with a bit of slack at the caliper) and 77 on the other. After many adjustments I've got it to 76.4 and 75.7 mm respectively. I didn't ge

Posted Images

The threads usually result in many tiny tiny bubbles from my experience? We get like 1-3 larger bubbles then nothing!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Have had a read I've always used 7-10psi air pressure in reservoir after sucking level down to the minimum to remove as much old brake fluid as possible but never go below the minimum. Top up with new and re pressurise and bleed away but never apply more than 10psi to reservoir and drain old fluid into a clear glass and using a torch u can usually see when the new fluid comes through seems to be a more controlled way of bleeding than pumping the brake and opening and closing the nipple. Plus u cant draw any air in as the system is always under positive pressure. Just remember to keep an eye on the reservoir level! its easy to get forget.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up in case anyone reads this thread in future:

Managed to get pedal feel back after re-bleeding the rears, with the handbrake off this time. A number of very large bubbles emerged from the RHS rear caliper whereupon the brakes went back to feeling like they did prior to this whole debacle. 

The ABS hasn't given me any grief throughout. Furthermore even if one "gets air into the ABS" by running the master dry, the way the system works, bubbles will be pushed out using normal bleeding procedures (the unit is de-energized during bleeding). It might be a problem if you've not bled things and then go on a run where the ABS is actuated but that's another matter... 

• 7 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread for a quick question:

Sometime after bleeding my brakes the handbrake sorta gave up the ghost - the handbrake was always weak on my V8 (the SE takes up all the slack after a few clicks, it's been that way since I bought it), but at one point it just didn't want to hold on even a mild slope.

I used to have to pull it all the way up for it to hold, then I got a mild advisory during an MOT that it was weak, but met criteria. Now it's just not holding. I have to hold the handle up past the last click for it to do so....

Is it possible I might have a tiny tiny bit of air left in the rear callipers preventing the handbrake from holding? I checked the spec on the brake cables and IIRC they were both 76 mm. I could try and tighten the cables a smidgen but I figured I'd ask about air in the lines first - since from what I can tell in the diagram, the Brembo rears seem to be susceptible to air (with 2 discs driving the single piston via handbrake). I'm currently assuming its not internal corrosion or anything else since my V8 is clean as a whistle having never seen rain.

I would say without looking at the car in person it needs the handbrake cable adjusting.  Given the fact that you have to pull it all the way to the top and it actually works at that point it would look like if you ajusted the cable all will be well.  

• Like 1

A

Cheers Dan, yeah that's what I figured as well. Think I'll pop down the garage and give that a try now. 

Update, so I check the brakes again and had 78 mm on one side (with a bit of slack at the caliper) and 77 on the other. After many adjustments I've got it to 76.4 and 75.7 mm respectively. I didn't get a chance to test it on a slope as the weather decided to be a pain and snow today...but from what I can tell, the handbrake catches much more like my SE now. 

Curiously, nothing is mentioned in the service notes for the V8 about the compensator lever having to be completely dead vertical. Mine isn't, and I don't think it was before either.... I'm just happy if the car holds on a slope to be honest (so I can pass my MOT)

Now I think I'll go have some tea and painkillers. Being hunched over at the adjuster and then rolling around on a polished concrete floor for hours has taken its toll...

• Like 1

Glad to see you got it sorted Vanya, yes concrete floors not the best for body parts when you have been working on cars. 

Good luck with the mot,  I you will never get the lever completely verticle due to different pad wear and stretched cables different on both sides. :)

A