free hit
counters
Royalty and Public Funding Poll (open to non UK Citizens!). - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Royalty and Public Funding Poll (open to non UK Citizens!).

Kimbers

Royal Family and Money  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So the Queen and royal family are about to get a rise in their Publicly funded monies of 6% this year. Is it justified or do you think it's time for one of the richest women in the world to pay her own bills?

She also has £150 million of repairs to do to Buckingham Palace, payable from Crown Estates.

Theres an article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33250274

But the long and short is that Crown Estates is worth £11.4 Billion (yes Billion) and the queen gets 15% of the profits from that, a sum of £37.9 million.

On the other hand she brought £285 million in to the treasury! Not to mention Tourist income and what the worth is of the Royals flying all over the world as ambassadors.

So my question is, "Is it time the Royal family paid for themselves unless they are state business and then they claim a salary/expenses like we do?" 

Feel free to vote and say your opinion whether you are British/Commonwealth or any other nationality! 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

/Sigh/ This is such a tired old argument. The Royal Family bring in far more money to the UK than they receive from the Civil List. The newest baby (Charlotte) is expected to generate around £150m in her first year alone.

They are value for money whether you like them or not.

Paying tourists who visit the UK want to see three things.

1. Castles and Royal stuff.

2. Quaint old cottages with thatched roofs in the lush green countryside.

3. Miserable grey misty skies (very English).

This is what brings in the moula.  There is one exception to rule no. 1 which I will point out at the end of my post which will sadly drive the royal tourists away.

Now on the other hand the current influx of unpaid tourists trying to breach the Dover beachhead via the secret tunnel, that's another story altogether.  I'm not sure whether they're heading to the UK just to see castles and stuff.

Anyway the only thing that's going to curb the flow of royal tourists is this pair ruling the empire.

article-0-0238EE4500000578-895_468x286.j

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

While I'm no royalist, I believe the dear old Queen has already attended over 100 official events this year!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

They are far more than mere tourist magnets too. Put Princess XYZ on the front cover of a mag wearing an outfit by a Brit designer and the resultant sales and subsequent copycat designs are very real and profitable.

While I'm no royalist, I believe the dear old Queen has already attended over 100 official events this year!

Yep, she's in Berlin today. Not bad for 90 year old woman.

Listen you lot....when I marry Princess Charlotte in 20-25 years time due to my services to king and country, i'll look back at this thread at all of you naysayers and anti-royals. 

Mark my words, you best speak well of my future family, or else i'll be a bit too heavy on the knighting sword in 2035

Haha. I'm firmly in the "good value for money" team and I have a regular chance to see them first hand as Sandringham is just down the road. They are nothing but gracious and very nice. Prince Phillip stopped and spoke to me just after new year and he said "Bloody weather, why are you standing here getting wet just to see us?!!" 

Not expecting him to speak to me I said "Well, I erm.....I.....yes" and grinned like an idiot.

Lovely!  :thumbsup:

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm a royalist and am convinced that we as a sovereign state get more out of the whole royal set up than they cost.   

You republicans should also remember that the alternative isn't free.  I've not seen a republic without some kind of "president" be they elected or despotic.  Their lifestyles and entourage are every bit as privileged as the Royals here, but their contribution pales into insignificance against what our lot achieve.  They still live and work in big lavish buildings that are erected and maintained by public money.  Maybe Obama, Putin and probably the Pope pack a bigger punch, but them aside, everyone else is on Cameron's level whether they call themselves prime minister, president, prince, or kim jong.  And all of those types had a life before premiership, and most will get a chance to enjoy life afterwards.  The Royals are born into it, and if they take it seriously like the current lot do, then they work at it nearly every day 'til they die.    No envy from me.  Good luck to them I say...

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM

When Scotland get their independence and president sturgeon is up on her throne........ All the jocks may well change their minds.

The UK is simply a superb place - that's why all the people in Calais are so desperate to get out of mainland Europe and over to Blighty.

We can all moan and groan about the UK - but it's a bloody great place to be full of opportunity.

Ps - I saw that buck palace needs rewiring - any idea how I get my name forward for that gig?? Reckon a shed load of PV would look good on the roof too.......

Only here once

Nothing personal-I admire Liz for her steadfast dignity on public occasions and some of them have done stirling work against land mines and for Air/Sea Rescue.

But Value for Money ??? Really ?? Sandringham, Windsor, Balmoral, St. James`s Palace, Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace.  While others get charged for having a unused second bedroom !   

As Thetford`s greatest son Tom Paine opined all those years ago to even  greater effect across the pond, why be a Ruler born to eternal privilege because of whose womb you happened to pop out of ?  Kind of what`s the word ? ....irrational.... to say the least . 

The Sex Pistols got it in 6 words...."There is no future...in England`s dreaming".

Yes they probably do bring in in tourist  money but so do many inanimate objects like the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty. 

Things may abruptly change .... Edward VII  or George VI to name but two predecessors  were most unpopular with the public.  Will Charlie Boy manage the job with the same grace ?    

I agree, there are many tosspots who are elected Presidents but at least they had to do something to justify their position.   It doesnt have to be that way,the President of Uruguay drives a Beetle and lives in a peasant cottage.

Well that's a downer on that then. :harhar:

Why be a President if you don't get to live in a big house, get loads of bodyguards and have wall to wall running Marilyn Monroes? Pffft!

I think we should skip a generation when Queenie finally leaves us, and go straight to William.

Agree she is worth keeping but not sure how far down the line we should have to support.Would be more concerned about how much "President Blair" still costs us

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I was at the helm of a vessel during the Thames Pageant. As we went past the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh I realised that this was the finest demonstration of "service above self" that I had ever seen. I was freezing cold and soaking wet; so were they. If you put your octogenarian grandparents in the garden in weather like that, you would probably be arrested...and rightfully so, too. Yet there they stood.....can you imagine Mr. President Blair doing that? Or our current incumbent? Not much impresses me these days...but that did.

The whole concept of a constitutional Monarchy has proved itself... seperating the ceremonial from the needs of government.  If one accepts that one needs a Head of State, then what we have seems pretty cost effective to me.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

So, we give the queen and royal hangers on just shy off £40m a year. So what?  

The Queen is scaling back her engagements next year and at the grand old age of 80 odd she will ONLY do 193 public engagements.  Gosh, that's not much (tongue firmly in cheek there) for an old age pensioner to be contributing.

So the queen and royal hangers on get £40m a year. Poo!  

So what! That was the deal struck - they handed over the crown estates and all the income associated with it (as said earlier, worth billions to the nation in asset values (and bankable assets that we lend against as a nation) and several hundred millions in cash returns per annum) and in return they got the civil list - by anyone's maths that is an astounding deal for the country just in itself. So what should we do instead? Give it all back to them to save £40m a year. Freakin' hell - you must have studied maths and economics with Gordon Brown at the Comprehensive school of insanity.

Really Buddsy - people don't come here for the pomp and pageantry, the history, the castles and all that shit - come on, you're not being honest with yourself there - when was the last time you were in London mate - Chinese, Japanese, Asian in general, Americans and Spanish (even though they have their own monarchy) everywhere - Buck Palace, Horseguards, Towe of London, Windsor etc.  I would suggest the figure quoted for the value they bring in are about right.

Off to the tower the lot of you. Off with your heads. God save the Queen!   :unworthy:  :unworthy:  :unworthy:  :unworthy:  :unworthy:  :unworthy:  :unworthy:  :unworthy:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

...there are certainly valid arguments for a Constitutional Monarchy but they would be infinitely more powerful ones if Britain  had a constitution that someone had actually bothered to write down.

The Americans wrote one down. Fat lot of good it does the average Joe though, especially if they just happen to be young, black / hispanic, and male etc. It gives them the right to freedom of speech (as long as they don't go too far then its rendition time). The right to bear arms and to shoot people. And the right to die through lack of medical insurance.

Hmmm. Just saying.......  I quite like it here in blighty to be honest. Think we have pretty good all things considered. I'll get me coat.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.